DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-06-08 05:21:37

rx2

1.05 or 1.04 Firmware for Australia

Hi,

I live in Australia and just picked up a DNS 323 yesterday and it has firmware 1.03 installed.

I have noticed that on the Australian DLink support site ( http://www.dlink.com.au/tech/Download/d … e=Firmware ) that there is no 1.05 firmware as of yet - so I thought OK just pop to the US site and download it from there.

However there is a big disclaimer at the bottom of the US site saying if you do not download the firmware from your local country support site then it will void the warranty. Interesting....

Does anyone know of regional differences between firmware's? And would it be safe for me to put 1.05 on an Australian model?

Cheers

Robert

#2 2008-06-08 07:23:22

hastings69

Re: 1.05 or 1.04 Firmware for Australia

Hi Robert,
I know of several Aussie 323's with 1.04 and then 1.05 firmware on them functioning fine.
The 1.05 was from the US site, and the 1.0463b firmware originally from a german site where google had to translate the download instructions!
It is entirely your choice, but my "friend" has enjoyed the benefits fo upgrading, and also fun plugging (streaming to a PS3). smile

It may well void the warranty, but my friends box was repaired (warranty) under 1.04 firmware. Nothing said about it.
There are benefits in upgrading now before data is on the box (otherwise you may have to format the disks and reinstall the data when you do decide to update).

No known regional issues as far as I know, your choice.
Cheers
H69

#3 2008-06-08 12:06:29

luusac

A little over a week ago I posted on the Dlink forum (forum.dlink.com) that no 1.05 f/w was not available on the uk site, a few days later and it is now available ... coincidence?
hth
lu

#4 2008-06-08 13:20:36

rx2

Hi,

Well I went with 1.05 - fully upgraded now.

All is good so far :-)

Robert

#5 2008-06-08 15:08:32

flashman1207

rx2 wrote:

Hi,

Well I went with 1.05 - fully upgraded now.

All is good so far :-)

Robert

I'm in Oz and run with 1.05 OK..... wish I could say the same about Vista !!!!

#6 2008-06-09 10:02:27

rx2

Hi Flashman - what issues are you having with vista?

I am running vista and all seems to be good at the moment...

I did notice on the DLink support site they have a vista driver, I am not using it - but I am curious to what it is? Anyone?

#7 2008-06-09 10:32:50

flashman1207

rx2 wrote:

Hi Flashman - what issues are you having with vista?

I am running vista and all seems to be good at the moment...

I did notice on the DLink support site they have a vista driver, I am not using it - but I am curious to what it is? Anyone?

I haven't used the driver either, not sure what it is..... My issues with Vista are around:

1. Printing.... Is very slow and i can't change any settings permanantly eg paper type. Printer is Canon i560 plugged into DNS-323 USB port
2. Network Mapped drives. Drives do not appear to Explorer to be mapped when you reboot. Any apps pointing at the drives then fail. Tried running a .ini script to map them but one app at least (MCEBUDDY) still can't see them
3. Any .exe files on the DNS-323 cause explorer to crash with "not repsonding". Fixes this by added .exe files to the 'scan exclusion' table in Norton but its weird because I get no problems with .exe files on my XP pc drive  which is also mapped to my vista machine....

Regards
Tony

#8 2008-06-09 15:53:37

hastings69

The vista driver from the US site blue screened 2 of my vista laptops and I had to go back to a restore point, as I couldn't uninstall it either. Disaster. The DNS works fine with 1.05, ffp 0.5 without it. As far as I could tell, it only got me a nice DNS icon within the network pathways. But as long as I have mapped via \\192.168.1.100\Volume_1 and changed the username and password to what is appropriate, and clicked remember this logon, all is good.

Also a few weeks ago, I think bq041 also helped me with a vista permission problem with NLTM authentication or like....... don't know if that could be at all helpful.

I do occasionally get network drive is corrupted, or inaccessable, or not present, but I think it is because the disks haven't spun up yet, as if I click on the mapped directory 5 seconds later they appear ok again.

#9 2008-06-10 03:10:21

rx2

Apart from putting a nice icon on your network tree, I think I know what that Vista driver does now.

I have been trying to get the UPNP AV server to work with WMP 11, but it will just not work!

Opening explorer and clicking on Network I am able to see two icons representing the NAS. One is a straight network device, the other is a something to do with the UPNP. Right clicking on the UPNP icon, I had the option to install, which I done and I had to use the vista driver from the DLink site. It installed with no problems and the folder icon changed to a DNS323 icon. If I disable the UPNP server on the 323 the icon will disappear in Vista. So the Vista driver on the DLink site is definately something to do with Vista and UPNP.

I have had it installed for a day or so and have not experienced any BSOD or crashes as of yet. But what is most disappointing is that I still can not get WMP 11 to work with the 323 UPNP server!!!!

If anyone has got this to work I would be most interested to hear from you!

#10 2008-06-10 03:11:52

rx2

Just dropped DLink a support email to see what they have to say about UPNP and WMP11 - I await the response.

#11 2008-06-10 03:52:33

rx2

Got a dissapointing response from DLink Australia

"Currently the only supported devices for the AVUPNP module is the D-Link DSM range and also the Playstation 3. It is also unknown if or when Vista will be supported under AVUPNP."

I wonder if its a Vista issue or a dns 323 issue? Would Twonky fix it?

#12 2008-06-10 04:29:52

flashman1207

hastings69 wrote:

The vista driver from the US site blue screened 2 of my vista laptops and I had to go back to a restore point, as I couldn't uninstall it either. Disaster. The DNS works fine with 1.05, ffp 0.5 without it. As far as I could tell, it only got me a nice DNS icon within the network pathways. But as long as I have mapped via \\192.168.1.100\Volume_1 and changed the username and password to what is appropriate, and clicked remember this logon, all is good.

Also a few weeks ago, I think bq041 also helped me with a vista permission problem with NLTM authentication or like....... don't know if that could be at all helpful.

I do occasionally get network drive is corrupted, or inaccessable, or not present, but I think it is because the disks haven't spun up yet, as if I click on the mapped directory 5 seconds later they appear ok again.

The last bit is also what i get, this is a 'known problem' with Vista, search on Google there are thousands of hits on it. Does not happen with my XP laptop so its got nothing to do with the drives not spinning up.....

You mention that you change the username & password for your drive mappings, I've never had to do that. In fact i have never set any users or passwords for the dns-323. Could you elaborate a bit more on this?

Thanks
Tony

#13 2008-06-10 06:25:44

hastings69

rx2 wrote:

"Currently the only supported devices for the AVUPNP module is the D-Link DSM range and also the Playstation 3. It is also unknown if or when Vista will be supported under AVUPNP."

Classic!, my PS3 does not play ball with DNS by itself, I have used successfully Twonky and also now I use Mediatomb (free with FFP 0.5). So from the Australian DLINK comment..... maybe I should have pressed it a bit further with 1.03, but all the time it had DLNA errors, which resolved by the way with 1.04, but is back again with 1.05. (Dlink support were always trying to be helpful I admit)

Strongly advocate mediatomb, EASY, just a few changes in a script, and away you go. Did I mention it is free and easy to use? It works like a charm and streams movies in DIVX format without ANY hitches. Also runs photo albums with alternative music at the same time nicely on the PS3 and flat screen.

Twonky works, I liked it, but it only has a 30 day trial, and certainly worth the few bucks to buy if that was the only alternative. But also depends whether you want to fun plug.
HTH
H69
There are a few threads about PS3, twonky and mediatomb.

#14 2008-06-10 06:32:06

hastings69

flashman1207 wrote:

You mention that you change the username & password for your drive mappings, I've never had to do that. In fact i have never set any users or passwords for the dns-323. Could you elaborate a bit more on this?

Thanks
Tony

Let me remember........

Win-E buttons, to open explorer, right click "computer", select map network drive, use \\192.168.X.XXX\Volume_1  and also TICK reconnect at logon, also CONNECT USING DIFFERENT USER NAME, if you dont have a user set up in the DNS, maybe this doesnt matter, but maybe try admin and the password that you use to edit the settings on the DNS. or try using users that you could set up in the DNS.

For me this is the only way ity has worked repeatedly and consistently. Note also I had to change the NLTM settings on one of my vista laptops (wifes) so the usernames would be accepted. See this post for the whole explanation that Bq041 sorted for me.

http://dns323.kood.org/forum/t2257-Perm … scale.html

HTH
H69

#15 2008-06-10 09:08:19

rx2

hastings69 wrote:

rx2 wrote:

Classic!, my PS3 does not play ball with DNS by itself, I have used successfully Twonky and also now I use Mediatomb (free with FFP 0.5). So from the Australian DLINK comment..... maybe I should have pressed it a bit further with 1.03, but all the time it had DLNA errors, which resolved by the way with 1.04, but is back again with 1.05. (Dlink support were always trying to be helpful I admit)

Strongly advocate mediatomb, EASY, just a few changes in a script, and away you go. Did I mention it is free and easy to use? It works like a charm and streams movies in DIVX format without ANY hitches. Also runs photo albums with alternative music at the same time nicely on the PS3 and flat screen.

Twonky works, I liked it, but it only has a 30 day trial, and certainly worth the few bucks to buy if that was the only alternative. But also depends whether you want to fun plug.
HTH
H69
There are a few threads about PS3, twonky and mediatomb.

Thanks Hastings. Reading that am I right in assuming you are now running 1.04 as that is the version you didnt experience any DLNA errors with the PS3? I have a PS3 as well, and that is what I was going to get working next after WMP11. I would be interested if you reverted back to 1.04 becauase of that reason.

With a ropey UPNPAV server, and an average BT client there is no real reason for me to stick with 1.05.

Thank god for this forum :-)

#16 2008-06-10 12:40:41

hastings69

Hey rx2,
No I'm now 1.05, with mediatomb streaming, it comes packaged in 1.05. I just ignore the DLNA errors, and they don't matter through mediatomb. It tajkes about 10mins to get it configured.
1.04 was just difficult as it didn't come with as many packages that I wanted to play with, and I don't have enough idea to realy compile anything.
1.04 did stream but it was quite finicky, I believe though that 1.04 only streamed once I installed Twonky, I don't remeber it ever properly streaming direct from the DNS.

Seriosuly give mediatomb a go, it is easy and quite good. There is another thread active now about problems and what to do, make sure you change mediatomb settings to accomodate the PS3, for DIVX.
http://dns323.kood.org/forum/t2344-Medi … lem...html

I have been "downloading" movies direct to the DNS and streaming direct to my PS3. Also I have been saving home movies direct to the DNS in WMA format and it just streams so well. It is a fantastic addition for the PS3 and DNS. Considering I wouldn't otherwise view them as it was a PIA to sort through DVDs. I don't use raid but backup to volume_2 instead which suiits my situation as I now have a backup, plus storage, plus streamer.

I have gained so much from the forum, anything I can add back I'm happy to do, there are most here that are well above anything I can understad and do. I can only add what wroks with me.

Cheers
H69

#17 2008-06-11 14:50:52

sjmac

rx2 wrote:

Opening explorer and clicking on Network I am able to see two icons representing the NAS. One is a straight network device, the other is a something to do with the UPNP. Right clicking on the UPNP icon, I had the option to install, which I done and I had to use the vista driver from the DLink site. It installed with no problems and the folder icon changed to a DNS323 icon. If I disable the UPNP server on the 323 the icon will disappear in Vista. So the Vista driver on the DLink site is definately something to do with Vista and UPNP.

I don't use the built in UPNP Server because it could only present 32 item long lists of anything to my media players. I didn't test Windows Media Player against the built in one at all, but I do use Twonky UPNP server - the free trial can be continued by rebooting the DNS-323, but to be honest, it's been so trouble free I think I will soon pay :-) I had a look at Media Tomb, but couldn't work out how I was supposed to configure it, and didn't have any real incentive to find out ...

With Windows Media Player 11, only Vista will be able to browse any UPNP server, Windows XP doesn't have the right service discovery libraries built in (Windows Media Connect?)

I've used firmware 1.04 and 1.05, and I've never installed the DNS323 driver. I get a nice picture of the DNS323 in my network map anyway. I've never browsed the DNS323 via the network map in Vista.

To browse a UPNP server on the DNS323 from Vista I open Windows Media Player, click the library tab, and wait for the UPNP server to appear on the tree on the left of the application window. Maybe I also needed to add the UPNP server via the little media icon that sometimes appears in the system tray, but I can't remember.

I prefer not to use the UPNP server with Windows Media Player. I have told WMP the location of my media share on the DNS323 and it has write access. This means that I can edit the file metadata in the WMP library UI, or even just have WMP download consistent metadata automatically in a lot of cases. Also it can add volume and playback gain information to the files and "favorite/rating" scores. The UPNP server in the DNS323 can read most of the metadata and uses it to present the files to the more light weight players on my network.

If I used WMP to rip CDs I would obviously have it write to the media share too.

Board footer