DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-07-09 22:36:29

stommen

Cant access my DNS323

HI!
Cant change any files, delete or add anything on my DNS.
Permission denied, access denied nothing happens...
Tried to install fun-plug but cant install that one either...
Tried to change users, accounts but no...
Firmware 1.05

Its been working great earlier but sometimes the computer loose contact so I have
mapped it a couple of times. Running Vista home premium 64

Anyone sitting on a solution that can help me, I would be thankful!

/Stommen

#2 2008-07-10 13:52:57

vishcompany

Re: Cant access my DNS323

#3 2008-07-17 21:45:48

stommen

im not sure, because I´ve had SP1 installed on my Vista home premium all the time and I cant
access it from FTP.
Any other tips?

Tried to install funplug in root but get "you need permission to perform this action" so its a no no

Last edited by stommen (2008-07-17 22:01:17)

#4 2008-07-18 02:41:25

luusac

What users and groups are listed in the web interface (can you access the web interface)?  Can you see any files with windows explorer?  Can you pull a drive and mount it on a linux box, and check the user and group of the files?  maybe file permissions have got screwed up somehow, my files have user nobody and group 501 and permissions 777.  If you do pull the drive and mount it on another machine you can try and copy the ffp files (archive+fun_plug) and see if on reinsert to the dns323 and boot it runs ffp and gives you telnet access.
lu

Last edited by luusac (2008-07-18 03:03:57)

#5 2008-07-18 14:31:54

stommen

network access - all acounts R/W, I can see files in explorer and move around in the directories.
Dont have Linux, and have no other machine to try on...
Im stuck and dont know what to do...

#6 2008-07-18 16:18:48

luusac

stommen wrote:

network access - all acounts R/W, I can see files in explorer and move around in the directories.
Dont have Linux, and have no other machine to try on...
Im stuck and dont know what to do...

what could have happened (and I am only making a wild guess here), is that the permissions have got screwed up, so you can read the directories, but not do anything with the files.

3 suggestions:

1: download ffp (see the wiki page) and upload the two files to the root of the dns323 drive via http://<your dns323 ip address>/web/wfs_login.asp
reboot the dns323 and see if you can telnet to the dns323.  I would try this first.

or

2:
Download a ubuntu .iso file (or other linux distrib, http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu), burn it onto a cd, pull the hdd from the dns323, put it into your pc, boot off the cd.  There is an option to run ubuntu from the cd (i.e. this won't install linux on your hdd - it is a fully working linux running from the cd) then see if you can access the drive pulled from the dns323, and see what the file/group permissions are.

or

3:
Install the ext2 fs driver from http://www.fs-driver.org/ onto your windows machine.  Pull the drive from your dns323, insert into your desktop, boot windows and you should be able to access all the files.  You could then back them up to your windows machine or another hard disk/dvd etc.  If you wanted you could then delete the partition from the pulled drive, reinsert it into the dns323 and start from scratch.  Obviously make sure you have at least 2 backups before you take this drastic step.  Have you searched on this forum to see if anybody had had similar problems before (they probably have)?

anybody else got any other suggestions?

lu

Last edited by luusac (2008-07-18 16:27:52)

#7 2008-07-18 20:25:12

stommen

Tried to upload ffp to root via web file server but get this message "cant upload file to root folder"
In upload section when i click on volume1 its says cant open url...

I´ve read that others have had similar problems but they all (what I can see) solved it with funplug. Since
I cant even transfer the files to my dns I dont know what to do...

I guess this leaves me with the two other options... If im not stupid and messed it up, but it should be easy.
Luusac, i´m thankful for your help!

Read something about telnet, is that a way to transfer funplug to my volume?
/Stommen

Last edited by stommen (2008-07-18 20:43:18)

#8 2008-07-18 23:59:38

bq041

Try creating a new user in the web gui, and then map to the DNS with the new user's information.  When you map, right click on my computer and select map a drive.  In that dialog, there is a link thas says log on as a different user.  Click that and enter the new user's information.  Once that is done, enter the mapping settings and map the drive.  Then try using the new share to copy the fun_plug.

DNS-323     F/W: 1.04b84  H/W: A1  ffp: 0.5  Drives: 2X 400 GB Seagate SATA-300
DNS-323     F/W: 1.05b28  H/W: B1  ffp: 0.5  Drives: 2X 1 TB  WD SATA-300
DSM-G600   F/W: 1.02       H/W: B                Drive:  500 GB WD ATA

#9 2008-07-19 00:54:42

luusac

stommen wrote:

Read something about telnet, is that a way to transfer funplug to my volume?
/Stommen

No.  Once telnet is running you will be able to get 'console' or command line access to the dns323.  It is kind of like a dos command prompt, but more powerful, and will allow you much more control over the box than the web interface provides.  It is not a command line file transfer program (look for ftp (which is insecure, but there are secure alternatives) etc for that, although you can get gui ftp clients).  SSH is a secure replacement for telnet.  ffp provides both telnet (in install) and ssh access (after a minor modification).  Info on ffp, telnet and ssh are all on the wiki site under 'how to'.

If you can't transfer the fun_plug file and the ffp archive to the root of the dns323 then you won't be able to get telnet/ssh running.

1. try bq041's suggestion.
2. if it allows you to copy the 2 files to the root, go to the web gui and reboot the dns323.  Remember you only need to copy two files, you don't need to uncompress the archive yourself - the fun_plug file will do that safely for you on install.   Don't go near the archive file with winzip or the explorer feature to extract from archive.  It may take a little longer to reboot the dns323 this time as it will be decompressing ffp.  You won't get any notification in windows that this is happening (it is behind the scenes as it were).  Wait a few minutes, then go to a dos prompt and type
"telnet <ip address of dns323>" hit enter (don't type the "s or the <>s)

Oh damn, I have just remembered that vista doesn't come with telnet installed as default, but I think if you go to control panel, programs and features, turn windows features on or off, you can choose Telnet Client (NOT the Telnet *Server*).  Or download putty http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgta … nload.html (which supports both telnet and ssh - better).

if you get a prompt saying Busybox and a flashing cursor it has worked and you have console access.

3. type "cd /mnt/HD_a2" hit enter
4. type "ls -al" hit enter

copy and paste the directory results (which will look something like what is below, but with more entries)

drwxrwxrwx   11 nobody   501          4096 Jul 15 01:08 ffp

If that does not work, try pulling the drive, install the ext2 driver I mentioned before and copying the files to the hdd via windows.  Reinsert the drive into the same bay of the dns323, and power up.  Then try steps 2-4 again.

I didn't ask before, how many drives do you have in the dns323 and what is your setup raid 0 or 1, jbod etc?

Make sure you pull the correct drive out of the dns323 and put it back in the same bay, and do all of that while powered down (don't hot swap).

lu

#10 2008-07-19 10:36:41

stommen

Created a new user and mapped the drive again with the same result.
Downloading Ubuntu right now so I can do as you told me to, Luusac.

So how do I do when I put the drive in my PC and boot from the Linux CD?
Step 3 and 4?
Sorry for stupid questions (?) but im a newbie on this kind of things...
Thanks again guys for your help!

/Stommen

#11 2008-07-19 13:04:23

bq041

When you created the new user, did you make sure it has r/w privlidges, not just read-only?  The DNS defaults to read only, unless you specify read/write?

DNS-323     F/W: 1.04b84  H/W: A1  ffp: 0.5  Drives: 2X 400 GB Seagate SATA-300
DNS-323     F/W: 1.05b28  H/W: B1  ffp: 0.5  Drives: 2X 1 TB  WD SATA-300
DSM-G600   F/W: 1.02       H/W: B                Drive:  500 GB WD ATA

#12 2008-07-19 14:13:57

stommen

Yes bq, had R/W on the new user.

Just transfered funplug to my drive via Ubuntu to the drives root. Decompressed with winrar and copied the files to drive root.
Drive root is that where you have .lpd and .systemfile? (so I know that i´ve done the right thing)
Is funplug about to uncompress it self?
Do I have to edit anything in fun_plug?
I can still see the two files in the root uncompressed...
And cant establish telnet access... tried with windows and putty
Does it have anything to do with wich slot I have my drive in? In case can I move the drive without loosing any data?

Saw that on permissions I had for 3 maps owner 501 and group 501.
On the last one owner 505 and group 503.

And what am I about to do when i have telnet access. What should I change and how?

/Stommen

Last edited by stommen (2008-07-19 21:56:21)

#13 2008-07-19 21:59:37

luusac

stommen wrote:

So how do I do when I put the drive in my PC and boot from the Linux CD?
Step 3 and 4?

2, 3, 4

You shouldn't need winrar at all - once you have the pulled hdd in your machine and mounted (the ubuntu live cd should do that for you) just copy
http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug/0.5/fun_plug
and
http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug/0.5/fun_plug.tgz
to the root of the pulled drive and make sure that the permissions of these two files is 777. 

But I am confused, did you use winrar in windows and the ubuntu method?  If you manually extracted anything from fun_plug.tgz delete it.  The only files you need are fun_plug and fun_plug.tgz in the root of the drive.  Once you have them there try reinserting the drive and rebooting the dns323.

What happens is that on boot the dns323 checks for the existance of a file called fun_plug in the root of the hdd and attempts to execute that file.  Think of it as an autoexec.bat file (if you ever used dos or windows 3.1).  So you can do many things just by modifying the fun_plug file.  Now, in the case of ffp, the fun_plug file looks to see if it can find fun_plug.tgz.  If it can, it will decompress it automatically thereby installing ffp, *winrar not required*.  You don't need to do any decompressing yourself.  Just copy the two files to the root of the hdd, reinsert the drive, reboot, go and make a cup of tea - ie make sure you give it enough time to properly boot, decompress and run the telnet daemon (server) before trying to telnet in.  Once you have got telnet working it will be easier to see what is going on in the dns323, the web interface simplifies things too much and doesn't allow you any power/fine grained control over the unit.

If fun_plug.tgz remains in the root and there is no ffp directory suddenly appearing then install has not worked for whatever reason.  It may be that when you copied the files with ubuntu it gave them permissions relating to your ubuntu account, hence the instruction to sudo chmod 777 ./fun_plug etc.  Chmod is the command used to change file permissions.  In linux/*nix style operating systems you can have Read/Write/eXecute (run) permissions for 3 differnt categories of user: the owner, people belonging to the same group as the owner, and the world (everybody else).  777 means that everybody can r/w/x the file.

If you are trying the ubuntu method go terminal/console and then type

sudo chmod 777 ./fun_plug
sudo chmod 777 ./fun_plug.tgz

In order to do so you will need to know how the pulled drive is referenced eg /dev/hdb1 and you will need to cd to there.

But did you install the windows driver from http://www.fs-driver.org/ - that gives you r/w access to the drive?

First step is to get telnet working, we can worry about the rest later.  Unlesss bq041 (or anybody else) can help with sorting this via the web gui?

lu

Last edited by luusac (2008-07-19 22:11:31)

#14 2008-07-19 22:43:24

stommen

Hmm...
I did extract fun_plug and fun_plug.tar then that should be the problem. Extracted in windows and moved to ubuntu with a memorystick.
copied to volume1/
I did download funplug and extracted the downloaded funplug-0.4.tar.gz and got two files - fun_plug and fun_plug.tar
Or should´nt i extract at all just move funplug-0.4.tar.gz to root?
Gonna try again, stupid me...

#15 2008-07-19 23:03:32

hell0

You didn't read the wiki once, did you?

download fun_plug.tgz files to Volume 1 (this may appear as a symbolic link). Do not unpack.

http://dns323.kood.org/howto:ffp

CH3SNAS firmware 1.05 with WD1000FYPS and ffp 0.5 on USB Stick

#16 2008-07-20 01:05:39

luusac

stommen wrote:

Or should´nt i extract at all just move funplug-0.4.tar.gz to root?

Right. Copy the files as they are to root of volume_1. no decompressing.  Also *don't* edit fun_plug, leave it alone (don't even peek :-) because windows and unix use different line endings and if you don't use a unix friendly editor you will screw up the fun_plug (windows doesn't come with a unix friendly editor).

hell0 wrote:

You didn't read the wiki once, did you?

Good advice - the wiki is your friend.  It cotains lots of very useful info in a easy to read/browse format.

lu

#17 2008-07-20 01:23:57

fonz
Member / Developer
Website

stommen wrote:

I did download funplug and extracted the downloaded funplug-0.4.tar.gz and got two files - fun_plug and fun_plug.tar

That's correct. It seems, there's some confusion about 0.4 vs. 0.5. For 0.5 you download two files, and don't unpack them. For 0.4 you download the .tar.gz, and extract extract the two files fun_plug and fun_plug.tar before copying to Volume_1.

The funplug-0.4.tar.gz approach has its problems. Often people used e.g. WinZip to unpack the files, but WinZip will corrupt the fun_plug script (it changes line breaks from unix to windows convention).

Some have also reported that it will only install from Volume_2. You might want to try that if Volume_1 doesn't work.

#18 2008-07-20 01:32:05

luusac

aaahh, I didn't read your post carefully enough - I hadn't noticed that you were using ffp 0.4 and assumed you were trying 0.5 (as that was the link I posted), sorry for the confusion.

lu

#19 2008-07-20 13:30:15

stommen

downloaded the files you linked...
mounted dns drive in my computer and copied with ubuntu to volume1/
Changed permissions with
mounted drive in dns again and restarted. Nothing happens
Changed slot in dns, nothing happens

Getting crazy smile
Feels like the only solution is to format the drive and start all over...

downloaded http://www.fs-driver.org/
So it works kinda like ubuntu, i can change the r/w rights on the ext2 disk?

It doesnt feel like the problem right now is the r/w rights since I changed it?!

/S

Last edited by stommen (2008-07-20 13:41:35)

#20 2008-07-20 14:20:13

luusac

stommen wrote:

Changed permissions with

Did you get any message from the console when this happened?  Try it again and post the output of "ls -al" no quotes (copy from the console and use a text editor (I think it is gedit) in ubuntu to save it to a .txt file).  Remember to do both once you have cd's to the root of volume_1

stommen wrote:

mounted drive in dns again and restarted. Nothing happens
Changed slot in dns, nothing happens

Describe "nothing happens".  You won't get any indication that ffp is installed save haveing a new directory in the root of volume_1 called ffp and not having the fun_plug.tgz  There won't be any dialog saying "ffp installed" or anything like it.  What happens when you try and telnet?  What message do you get?  You can also telnet from an ubuntu terminal/console (once the pulled hdd is reinserted into the dns323 (power down first/don't hot swap)) by typing telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (where xxx=ip address of your dns323).

Can you see the two files in the root of the drive with windows explorer or http://<your dns323 ip address>/web/wfs_login.asp, are they the correct size?

How many drives do you have in the dns323 and in which bay is the pulled drive installed?

stommen wrote:

Getting crazy smile
Feels like the only solution is to format the drive and start all over...

That is certainly a solution (factory reset it too - see the wiki for how to), but the good news is that having mounted the disk on ubuntu or by using the windows fs driver you have access to your files and you can back them up before you format.  Also, just as a general rule always make sure you hava a current backup of anything important on the dns323, people are posting every day about data loss (that is not to say the unit is any more prone to data loss than any other piece of equipment).

stommen wrote:

downloaded http://www.fs-driver.org/
So it works kinda like ubuntu, i can change the r/w rights on the ext2 disk?

Windows comes with drivers to handle some file systems (such as FAT/NTFS etc) built in, but it doesn't include a driver for the ext2 file system.  By installing the ext2 driver you will get full access to drives formatted according to ext2.  Its a good thing to keep in your toolkit in case ....  You should be able to copy/delete/move/create etc.  I can't remember how windows handles permissions with this driver, but to change permissions stick with telnet once you have it working or ubuntu.

stommen wrote:

It doesn't feel like the problem right now is the r/w rights since I changed it?!

But that doesn't account for why ffp is not installed (if it is not).  It is not just r/w that you need, but r/w/x.

doing the "ls -al" and posting the results will confirm what the permissions are.

If you decide instead to format make it your first priority to install either just telnet or full ffp on the unit.

lu

Last edited by luusac (2008-07-20 14:38:30)

#21 2008-07-20 15:26:51

stommen

Did you get any message from the console when this happened?  Try it again and post the output of "ls -al" no quotes (copy from the console and use a text editor (I think it is gedit) in ubuntu to save it to a .txt file).  Remember to do both once you have cd's to the root of volume_1

No i didnt get any message and when I check permissions in properties for the files it says
owner Ubuntu
Access rw
Group ubuntu
access rw
others
access rw

Describe "nothing happens".  You won't get any indication that ffp is installed save haveing a new directory in the root of volume_1 called ffp and not having the fun_plug.tgz  There won't be any dialog saying "ffp installed" or anything like it.  What happens when you try and telnet?  What message do you get?  You can also telnet from an ubuntu terminal/console (once the pulled hdd is reinserted into the dns323 (power down first/don't hot swap)) by typing telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (where xxx=ip address of your dns323).

-Tried to telnet via putty and cmd. Putty closes down and cmd says "could not open connection to the host on port 23"

Can you see the two files in the root of the drive with windows explorer or http://<your dns323 ip address>/web/wfs_login.asp, are they the correct size?

-No, i cant see them. When i click on volume1 its says "access error". But i can see them with explorer and they are coreect size

How many drives do you have in the dns323 and in which bay is the pulled drive installed?

- One drive installed in left slot seen from front. Tried to change slot to right too

That is certainly a solution (factory reset it too - see the wiki for how to), but the good news is that having mounted the disk on ubuntu or by using the windows fs driver you have access to your files and you can back them up before you format.  Also, just as a general rule always make sure you hava a current backup of anything important on the dns323, people are posting every day about data loss (that is not to say the unit is any more prone to data loss than any other piece of equipment).

- Already done a factory reset without result. But i have access so I can copy files from my drive, but cant change, delete or add anything. And i have r/w/x on the files.

/S

#22 2008-07-20 16:39:08

stommen

This is the result of ls -al

ubuntu@ubuntu:/media/disk$ ls -al
total 10244

drwxrwxrwx 9 root   root       4096 2008-07-20 13:11 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 root   root        120 2008-07-20 13:11 ..
drwxrwxrwx 3    501    501     4096 2008-05-06 16:02 Aboveyou
drwxrwxrwx 3    501    501     4096 2008-04-02 20:16 Backup20080402
drwxrwxrwx 4    501    501     4096 2008-05-05 20:05 Backup20080505
drwxrwxrwx 5    505    503     4096 2008-05-28 19:22 Delat
-rwxrwxrwx 1 ubuntu ubuntu     1057 2008-07-20 05:09 fun_plug
-rwxrwxrwx 1 ubuntu ubuntu 10434402 2008-07-20 05:09 fun_plug.tgz
drwxrwxrwx 2 root   root       4096 2008-04-08 20:32 .lpd
drwx------ 5 root   root       4096 2008-07-09 14:04 .systemfile
drwx------ 4 ubuntu ubuntu     4096 2008-07-19 20:17 .Trash-999

And this the result of sudo chmod

ubuntu@ubuntu:/media/disk$
ubuntu@ubuntu:/media/disk$ sudo chmod 777 ./fun_plug
ubuntu@ubuntu:/media/disk$ sudo chmod 777 ./fun_plug.tgz
ubuntu@ubuntu:/media/disk$

#23 2008-07-20 17:27:59

luusac

try
"sudo chown 501:501 ./fun_plug"
"sudo chown 501:501 ./fun_plug.tgz"
no quotes. and if ffp.log appears in the root of volume_1 at any point post it here.

re putty hmm. I get "connection closed by remote host" and "connection refused" when telnet is not running.  It sounds a daft question but volume_1 is not full is it, and there is no interference by your router/firewall which is blocking telnet?  Is port 23 open?  But in any case you will only get a response from telnet once ffp is installed (or a stand alone telnet daemon).

try having the drive in the right bay

lu

#24 2008-07-20 21:42:30

stommen

Tried to sudo chown both files and plugged it in right and left bay without result.
Starting to backup my files now and preparing for format the drive.

No volume1 is not full, double checked  and removed firewall. Port 23 is open on my router.
/S

#25 2008-07-21 01:44:00

fordem

Port 23 is open on my router

Why?  Is it "open" or is it forwarded?  What is it forwarded to?  Why would you want to allow telnet access from the internet to something on your network?

Board footer