DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-10-09 07:18:57

leech1980

how to stop dns-323 from powering itsself down

I have fonz fun_plug v5 and the latest firmware.  Every so often my NAS will power itself off.  I don't mean spin down the drives, I mean the NAS shuts down completely.  Any ideas what is causing this?  This has been happened maybe 5 times over the past month (when i first bought the NAS).  This is a short summary of my setup:

fonz fun_plug v5
v5 firmware
raid 1
alert type setup to shutdown if the temp hits 140 F, with email alert
email alert settings are setup and verified

Also, I have yet to get an alert email stating the max temp was reached, so i don't think it is a temp problem.  When I check the webs setup page the temp is usually around 110. 

Any suggestion are greatly appreciated!!

#2 2008-10-09 15:29:12

fordem

Re: how to stop dns-323 from powering itsself down

Are you perhaps losing power to the device?

#3 2008-10-09 16:07:38

luusac

apart from the obvious (loose cabling, bad power supply) I can't see why this would happen.  Maybe you need to return the unit for a replacement?

#4 2008-10-09 20:07:46

leech1980

fordem wrote:

Are you perhaps losing power to the device?

I don't believe so.  The NAS is in the same power strip as my PC, and the PC does not have this same issue.

Also, when it does shutdown on its own, it always happens during late night/early morning (12am-6am).  I don't have any backups or other programs connecting to the NAS nor programs setup, that I know of, running at these times.

#5 2008-10-09 20:32:44

fordem

Just a comment - ever had a power strip with a single bad outlet?  Have you tried moving it to a different outlet even if it's on the same strip?  If I recall correctly the DNS-323 has a power brick type supply with a detachable line cord - have you checked that to see if it's secure?

Just a couple of things that have led my kids to call me from time to time....

It is perhaps strange (or unusual) that it should power down only in the wee hours of the morning - in fact - that goes against my "loose connection" theory, which should see it powering off at random times - since it is possible to power the unit down remotely - try leaving it disconnected from the network and see if it continues to happen.

Another "long shot" suggestion - do you have it on a UPS?  Yes, I know you said it's on the same strip as your PC, but, here's a little story that happened to me last night.

I was down in town in the office working late - loading an application onto a PC for delivery this morning - I thought it was on a UPS (there's a big Eaton Powerware unit that runs the entire office) and we had a city wide outage at 6:00 pm - the office lights went out and came back on (there is a diesel genset with an automatic transfer switch) the LCD monitor blinked out and came back on, but the PC never faltered (the PC and the monitor were on the same power strip).

I logged it and had the power systems guy check it this morning - I was plugged into a power strip that was connected to raw power - so I had no UPS protection, but the power supply in the PC had enough ride through to keep it going during the time it took for an 800kVA Cummins plant to crank, start, and the ATS to switch over - I would estimate at 30~45 seconds.

You could be sustaining a brief outage that could take your DNS-323 out without your PC going down - I don't know which part of the US (assuming you are in the US), but in lightening prone areas, it is not unusual to see brief outages during lightening activity (they are caused by protective switch gear triggering)

#6 2008-10-09 20:40:35

leech1980

fordem wrote:

Just a comment - ever had a power strip with a single bad outlet?  Have you tried moving it to a different outlet even if it's on the same strip?  If I recall correctly the DNS-323 has a power brick type supply with a detachable line cord - have you checked that to see if it's secure?

Just a couple of things that have led my kids to call me from time to time....

It is perhaps strange (or unusual) that it should power down only in the wee hours of the morning - in fact - that goes against my "loose connection" theory, which should see it powering off at random times - since it is possible to power the unit down remotely - try leaving it disconnected from the network and see if it continues to happen.

Another "long shot" suggestion - do you have it on a UPS?  Yes, I know you said it's on the same strip as your PC, but, here's a little story that happened to me last night.

I was down in town in the office working late - loading an application onto a PC for delivery this morning - I thought it was on a UPS (there's a big Eaton Powerware unit that runs the entire office) and we had a city wide outage at 6:00 pm - the office lights went out and came back on (there is a diesel genset with an automatic transfer switch) the LCD monitor blinked out and came back on, but the PC never faltered (the PC and the monitor were on the same power strip).

I logged it and had the power systems guy check it this morning - I was plugged into a power strip that was connected to raw power - so I had no UPS protection, but the power supply in the PC had enough ride through to keep it going during the time it took for an 800kVA Cummins plant to crank, start, and the ATS to switch over - I would estimate at 30~45 seconds.

You could be sustaining a brief outage that could take your DNS-323 out without your PC going down - I don't know which part of the US (assuming you are in the US), but in lightening prone areas, it is not unusual to see brief outages during lightening activity (they are caused by protective switch gear triggering)

Thanks for your suggestions!

The NAS and PC are on a generic power strip, no UPS.  I have previously checked if there was a loose connection with the power supply.

When I get home I will switch the NAS to a different outlet and report back if I see and change.  if that doesn't fix it, I will try disconnecting from the network to see if that makes a difference.

Quick question:  are there any system logs on the NAS that would tell me what processes were running just before it shuts itself down?  or give my and idea of what could have caused it to shut down?

#7 2008-10-10 07:15:44

mig

I think this could be the temp alert causing the powerdown, and possibly
there is a problem with the delivery of the the email status.  So, it looks to
you like the unit is just powering down.

You could try to (temporary) disable the power alterts and see if your
system is more stable.  At a minimum this would eliminate one more variable
for you system.

DNS-323 • 2x Seagate Barracuda ES 7200.10 ST3250620NS 250GB SATAII (3.0Gb/s) 7200RPM 16MB • RAID1 • FW1.03 • ext2 
Fonz's v0.3 fun_plug http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug

#8 2008-10-10 15:26:20

fordem

mig wrote:

for you system.

Agreed - but ...

With no connections to the NAS during the 12:00 - 6:00 period it should go to standby and temp should not be a problem.

#9 2008-10-10 19:53:34

jesbo

My configuration is similar to yours, but I'm set to shutdown if Temps exceed 125 F.

I also have my NAS set to spin-down the 2 drives after a 10 minute period of no activity. Drives do spin down even if PC's are connected as long as no disk device activity occurs.  During this period of inactivity, drives power down and temp (as shown in the web STATUS interface) drops to about 95F. During heavy access temp never seems to exceed 120F.  If the drives are spinning and not being accessed or minimally accessed, the temp stabilizes around 110F.

I do keep my unit connected to a small UPS and I have never seen it power down on its own.

Last edited by jesbo (2008-10-10 20:18:01)

DNS-323 (H/W ver. B1) |  2 x 1 TB WD Caviar Black (Raid 1) | Corsair Flash Voyager - 16 GB USB | FW 1.08 | fun_plug 0.5

#10 2008-10-11 02:37:43

leech1980

mig wrote:

for you system.

Thanks for your suggestion.

I have tested the email status before and it has worked.  i have never seen the temperature reach higher than 115F so i'm not sure if the temp alert is causing it to shutdown or not.

Last edited by leech1980 (2008-10-11 02:38:34)

#11 2008-10-11 02:39:29

leech1980

jesbo wrote:

My configuration is similar to yours, but I'm set to shutdown if Temps exceed 125 F.

I also have my NAS set to spin-down the 2 drives after a 10 minute period of no activity. Drives do spin down even if PC's are connected as long as no disk device activity occurs.  During this period of inactivity, drives power down and temp (as shown in the web STATUS interface) drops to about 95F. During heavy access temp never seems to exceed 120F.  If the drives are spinning and not being accessed or minimally accessed, the temp stabilizes around 110F.

I do keep my unit connected to a small UPS and I have never seen it power down on its own.

I have my NAS setup to spindown after 5 min of inactivity, if that helps any.

#12 2008-10-11 04:48:20

jesbo

I changed my inactivity spindown to 5 minutes and it works fine.

I have recently installed the fan control script into my fun_plug environment and it too seems to be working properly. Fan stops running after drives spin down and system temp drops below 100 F.

DNS-323 (H/W ver. B1) |  2 x 1 TB WD Caviar Black (Raid 1) | Corsair Flash Voyager - 16 GB USB | FW 1.08 | fun_plug 0.5

Board footer