DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-11-01 17:14:40

Austin

Speed Issue: 1.9 MB/S Current....How do I make transfer times faster..

Hey-  I have entry level techincal knowledge.  I bought a DNS-323 and using the packaged backup software included and the mapped drive for access- I am using a Raid 1 config.  (I have a Dell XPS 1730 NB with Dual Harddrives in Raid 0 config and an overclocked processor) .  I am experiencing speed of about 1.8 MB/S on my transfers (approx 9-10 min per 1 GB).   I am reading posts of 30-40MB/S...how are these speeds achived with the DNS-323?   Note: I am using Wireless N network.    Any help or suggestions are much apprecaited.  Thanks in advance.   Austin

#2 2008-11-01 17:16:12

Austin

Re: Speed Issue: 1.9 MB/S Current....How do I make transfer times faster..

I am using 1.05 Firmware and 2x 1 TB 7200 RPM Hitachi Drives in Raid 1.

#3 2008-11-01 17:20:07

luusac

I haven't tried any wireless N equipment yet, but as a general rul you will get much better speeds if you use wired instead of wireless networking.  You can also try using jumbo frames, search on the forum for info on this as well as increasing the speed (as I see you have done), there are lots of posts on these topics.

#4 2008-11-01 17:34:54

csewrx

What kind of router are you using?  Many factors play into speed across wireless.  I am using Wireless N (on 5ghz radio) and I get 5 to 6MB/sec transfer which is about average.  On N using 2.4ghz radio I get about 3 to 3.5MB/sec which is again about average.  My guess is you're using N on 2.4ghz and getting about what you should be.  Remember how far away you are from the router plays into that, what channel, interference, etc.  I'm using the Linksys WRT600N and Dlink DIR-825.  I have so many wireless devices I have to spread them across 2 routers. 

In addition the 30-40MB/sec people are talking about here are wired not wireless (using jumbo frame packet bursting).  Also jumbo frames will not increase your speed on wireless.

#5 2008-11-01 17:43:54

Austin

Thank you for the repsonses-helpful.  I have a Linksys WRT150N N Router.   I am currently doing a base (initial) backup...I will post my GHZ asap when I can tap into my router menu (i don't think I should go in mid transfer).    Any other thoughts are appreciated.

#6 2008-11-01 17:48:40

Austin

I have the factory setting of "Wide - 40MHz Channel" for the Radio function in my router.    Once again, I am not very techincal not sure what Ghz I would be running.   Not in Router Bios right now...

#7 2008-11-01 17:52:15

Austin

Setting is at Standard 7-2.442 GHZ.  Therefore my transfer rate likely the max I will get on my N network?  Any tips to improve....

#8 2008-11-01 18:15:24

csewrx

That router is 2.4Ghz only and does not have 5Ghz.  Also remember that since that router is MIMO it's best signal is going to be on B and G, not so much N.  You're probably getting the best you can.  The further away you are, the lower the signal and transfer rates.  The more wireless devices you have, the lower the rate, other wireless in your area etc. 

The only way to get better rates are to buy a newer router with 5 and 2.4 dual bands or hard-wire it.  Good luck.  You might make sure that you have the latest firmware for the router and your laptop see if you pick up any at all but it won't be much.

#9 2008-11-01 18:21:36

fordem

If throughput is important I suggest you forget about using wireless with the NAS - not that it won't work, but that you will get speeds pretty much similar to what you're getting now, even with wireless-n.

With wireless-g - where the theoretical maximum is 54 mbps, I can get a consistent 20 mbps transfer speed - which will translate to perhaps 2.5 MB/sec, with wireless-n, where the theoretical maximum is 300 mbps, the best I can get is 80 mbps and that is constantly varying and frequently lower

With wireless networks the performance can vary wildly depending on the environment - wall construction, furniture, electrical appliances, microwave ovens, other wireless networks, cordless phones, surveillance cameras, game consoles, baby monitors - the list is endless.

#10 2008-11-01 18:30:01

Austin

Very Helpful.  One last question...how much will a 5GHZ Dual Band N router improve the transfer speed over the 2.4...any thoughts?  Thanks again.

#11 2008-11-01 19:46:57

fordem

None.

The advantage of 5GHz over 2.4GHz is it is less susceptible to intereference - by virtue of the fact that 5GHz transmissions are subject to higher levels of attenuation (loss of strength with distance and as it passes through walls & furniture) - so this works both for and against you.

Let's assume you live in an area with a high density of wireless networks - it is possible that no one else has a 5GHz network or cordless phone - and so there is no interference, it is also possible that at some point a neighbour will install 5 GHz equipment, and that because of the greater attenuation, his signal will not be strong enough to cause you a problem - BUT - your signal also suffers from attenuation so it is weaker at any given distance than a 2.4GHz signal would be, and the result is lower throughput.

You're caught between a rock and a hard place - use 2.4 GHz, get a strong (hopefully) signal, which may be subject to interference - or use 5GHz, get less interference, and hope that it remains strong enough to give you decent throughput.

The only way to get guaranteed throughput is a wired network.

By the way - if this sounds like I'm anti-wireless - I'm not, I'm just setting your expectations correctly - I've been using wireless for the better part of a decade since it was 802.11 with no prefix and had a maximum throughput of 1 mbps.  Wireless does a fantastic job where quick temporary connections and easy mobility are the main requirements (as with hotels, boardrooms, conferences, etc.) but - if what you want is reliablity and maximum throughput, in a location where things don't get rearranged frequently - think wired.

#12 2008-11-01 21:14:29

Austin

All-  Through all of the configuring I have been doing (with your help), i noticed my wireless card was capping out at 54 MPs.   Obviously it was operating at wireless G only.  i checked my wife's machine and she was at N.  After an hour on the phone with Dell, we found out is was actually a Security setting....for some reason the Wep sercurity i was using on my Intel 495 wireless card was not jiving with my Linknys router in a wya that N was working -only G.  We changed the setting to Private (name of the protocal escapes me) and voila....my connection rate was 130 Mbps.   I decided to test my connection and a lovely 4.5 Mbps over my wireless N occured about 2.25 X my previous speed this morning.   This is fast enough for me and will allow be to upload sotred movies to my client PC's and watch etc.... I agree wtih you wireless is just too convient to plug into port every time-though I abolsutly see the benfits of this from to time.    Thank you all for your help...I stumbled across this forum via google and quite pleased with the response and willingness to help.     All the best.

#13 2008-11-02 01:03:09

fordem

That was most likely WPA.  WEP is an older encryption that is not supported under 802.11n.

One thing to be aware of - the Intel 4965AGN card does not support 270 mbps when used on 2.4 GHz - only at 5 GHz - so, at least in your case, you might have the justification you need to go dual band wink

Your 4.5 Mbps throughput is roughly equivalent to 36 mbps - theoretically acheivable with 802.11g

Off topic - I'm sitting here with a Netgear WN111 adapter connected to a Netgear WNR2000 router at an indicated 300 mbps  - the router is visible through a doorway and no more than twenty feet away.  The best I can get in actual throughput is 50 mbps (QCheck) or 5.8 MB/s (NASTester 0.4) -

#14 2008-11-02 19:00:47

Austin

Thanks.  I got up to 7MB/S last night moving a file directly via the network drive (non backup).  Upload from the DNS-323 to my computer is another story only about 2 MB/s....any thoughts on that.  fordem...do you mean if i get a 5 GHZ N router I could almost double my N speed based on the fact I own a 4965AGN?   

One last question....I want to play video files directly from my DNS-323 wirlessly to my client notebooks....I have pumped up the buffer on my VLC player but still choppy in some spots.   I am not referred to HD but to DVD level quality video.   

You have all been very helpful and thanks agian for your time.

#15 2008-11-02 20:36:13

fordem

Intel decided not to allow the 4965AGN to use 40 MHz wide channels on the 2.4 GHz band, limiting it to a theoretical 130 mbps - with a 5GHz router the theoretical maximum from 130 mbps to 270 mbps - so - yes, the possibility exists that you could as much as double your throughput.

Please note the use of the word possibility, the reality might well be different - see my earlier post for reasons why.

To comment on Intel and their decision, as well as the use of 40 MHz wide channels - the 802.11n standard allows for 40 MHz wide channels on both 2.4 & 5 GHz, however, 40 MHz wide channels have the potential to create havoc in areas with existing networks using 20 MHz wide channels, and so any device configured for the wider channels is required to step back to a 20 MHz channel if it detects existing networks - this is known as "good neighbour" - so you have no guarantee of the wider channel even if your hardware supports it - Intel for reasons of their own decided that they would "mandate" good neighbour on 2.4 GHz.

#16 2008-12-15 00:45:34

Austin

thank for this info.   Would you recoomend the wrt600n.    Can i utlize my wrt150n as a range booster or access point?   Because of "good neighbouring" if i get the wrt600n will have an issue keeping my intel4965 on the 5 ghz freq?    What type of through put do you expect I will get with wrt600n (if my notebook is closer to the roouter say and interference is average).     Thanks in advance for any assistance.

#17 2008-12-15 00:52:23

Austin

Or could I get a wirless usb stick that would make my Wrt150N 300mps capable.   Would the stick work in conjuction with my iunternal card or proabably best to disable?  Any suggested optimal solutions is appreciated.

#18 2008-12-15 01:05:17

Austin

Also, Any comment on linksys vs. dlink?  Dlink options seem to be cost effective and I have a good expereince with their products so far.   Also DIR-855 vs. DIR-825 - worth it to go for 825? I do not see a difference based on the info online (must be one, but can't it).

#19 2008-12-15 01:44:14

Austin

will a dual band router give me 300 mpbs one one function or will i need to router media on one and internet/e-mail on their other to take advanatge of the extra throughput?

#20 2008-12-15 01:50:36

Austin

last question ( i owe someone big if they answer all of these).....should i run two rounters...keep my wrt150n running and another one with dual band....will a notebook having ssid access to both optimize the connections?

#21 2008-12-15 03:14:35

fordem

First - just so that you know - you can edit & append your posts.

I've never used the WRT600N (or either of the D-Links) and on that basis alone I cannot make a recommendation - they may or may not suit your purposes, I'm also not in favour of having more than one router in a network, unless you have a specific need for multiple routers - so no, I would not use the WRT150N as a range extender or access point.

Linksys or D-Link - it's all the same to me - it's possible that either company makes a specific product that I might find attractive, for example D-Link's DNS series of NAS units, to my mind, are superior to Linksys' offerings, but I have seen nothing in their routers (either brand) that says "come buy me" - I generally buy my routers based on what's cheapest and on my favourite retailer's shelf when I walk through the door - and I have used both brands in roughly equal numbers.

There is also no way to predict what throughput you will get in a wireless network - the 300 mbps is a theoretical maximum, you'll never see it, at least not with current wireless-n product - I'd say the best you'll get is  approximately 80 mbps on any band - 2.4 or 5 GHz - what you'll actually get is dependent on the environment (and adapters) in which you're deploying it,

A dual band router is unlikely to do much for you - one computer will not connect to both bands simultaneously - you could force it with two wireless cards, but unless you're using cards that support teaming (which I haven't seen in a wireless card) there will be no advantage, and you could actually see reduced throughput - which is why, if you use a wireless USB adapter, I would suggest you disable the internal card - feel free to try it either way, who knows your results may differ from mine.

Ok - I think I got all your questions - let me know if I missed anything wink

Last edited by fordem (2008-12-15 03:18:40)

#22 2008-12-15 03:50:28

Austin

thank you for the info!   I have seen some reviews on amazon of users getting 270 MPS with thier wirless N ....i assume this is available only through dual band simultanous router?   I assume the windows tool that is measuring the bandwith access is adding both bands together...or is 270MPS for a single purpose (ie. for oone function like downloading at 270MPS) possible with N.    (I think you answered this, I am a little confused by the claims of 300Mbps by the products and 270Mbps claims by other users).   I would like to stream HD and eventually get media extender for TV to send HD movies etc....any advice on creating a maximum bandwidth setup for the puposes (wireless).

Last edited by Austin (2008-12-15 03:55:33)

#23 2008-12-15 04:44:13

fordem

To my way of thought, many of the Amazon reviews are written by the man in the street, for the man in the street - I've seen many a rant written by someone who I can only describe as clueless, and for the most part I put little stock in them.

As far as I am concerned 270 mbps throughput on wireless-n is simply not achievable - sure your wireless client will tell you it's connected at 270 mbps (look at my earlier post, I've gotten 300 mbps connections), but it doesn't deliver 270 mpbs of THROUGHPUT - what matters, at least to me, is not the reported connection speed, but the actual throughput that you can achieve transferring data at that speed.

For the record - wireless-b is rated at 11 mbps and will tell you it's connected at that, but you'll never see much above 6~6.5 in a transfer, wireless-a & wireless-g are rated at 54 mbps, and again will tell you that they are connected at that speed, but you won't see more than 30~35.

The rated speeds are theoretical and never acheivable in practice - the highest documented throughput I have seen on wireless-n is I believe 125 mbps, an Intel card in an Intel test lab with a Netgear router.

You asked about the windows tool adding both bands together - in a normal system with a single dual-band wireless card, you can only connect to one band at a time, there is only one receiver.  Like I said earlier you can theoretically get dual connections, but only if you use two cards that support adapter teaming - which I have never seen in a wireless card (it's more of an enterprise server feature).

The next thing you need to recognize is that the connect speed that Windows reports bears no relationship whatsoever to the actual flow of data - here's a little trick you can try ...

Hold down the Ctrl & Shift keys & tap the Esc key - the task manager will open up, select the Networking tab - all the network connections will be shown, some of them will show Operational and others Non Operational, please note that even the Non Operational ones show a link speed - now transfer a file, a largish one that will take a couple of minutes - what does it show for Network Utilization?

Play with it some - see if you can get it above 50% for your wireless connection - let me know what happens.

Last edited by fordem (2008-12-15 04:47:52)

#24 2008-12-15 04:56:51

Austin

my link speed: ranged from 117 Mbps -130 mbps
Network utlization:  bliped to about 40% at one point, but steady at 15-20% (aweful)

Will my card at 5GHZ have better netowrk utlization due the theretical lower itnerference? 
I typically stay in one area (office ) of my home 90%...there reaosn i have wirless is for the wife and the fact i do not want to run a wire through home.   
Could a bridge or a range extend that my notebook plugs into get me alot more?   at 2.4?   at 5.0? 

I assume the low network utlization is due to the missed packets or blocked packets that need ot be resent?   I am curieous to why a product can claim speeds that are no acheivable, sounds shady even.

#25 2008-12-15 04:58:40

Austin

my downlaod windows at 1.60 MB/second
sometimes i can get 2.6 MB/s
I have heard of 4-5 and even 7 on wireles on the net.   Need more sepped and any suggestionson hardware changes is appreciated.

Board footer