DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-11-24 21:51:50

osxtasy

Is DNS-323 dependable...

Hi all, I posted over a year and a half ago when the DNS first came out. I dropped in 2-500gig Seagates, Set them to raid 1, and started using it. Well I had to go overseas for a while, so I manually plugged a 500gig USB drive into my pc, and copied over 400 gig off of the DNS  via SMB to the 500gig USB drive, then put it all away in storage. Now that I'm back I'm about to pull the DNS back out and plug it up.

I never was able to get the funplug stuff installed, cause I just didnt understand how to even begin, so as you read, I just plugged the 500gig usb drive into my PC and manually copied the data over via SMB. Well, I always was unnerved about whether the DNS could rebuild a raid array after a drive problem, so what is the consensus nowadays??? I already have the data backed up, and I understand raid is not a backup. My question, is if a drive fails, can I pop in a new drive to that failed drive slot, and depend on the DNS rebuilding the mirror??? Currently running 1.03 (I think it was last time I had it running over a year ago)

In other words, DOES IT WORK AS IT'S SUPPOSED TO, or is it still flakey, and unable to be depended on??? That drobo is looking mighty good otherwise.

Thank you all for any replies, just looking for the truth, before I actually depend on this thing. It really sucked transferring all that data via SMB to USB hard drive.

#2 2008-11-24 21:59:07

jesbo

Re: Is DNS-323 dependable...

I've had mine for a few months.  2 x 1 TB drives in Raid 1 Mirror.  Running 1.05 Firmware.  Fun_plug 0.5 installed without a hitch and I'm having no reliability issues.  I back up the contents of the DNS to tape once a month.  Have not tried to simulate a drive failure so not sure how well the automatic rebuild process works, but others have confirmed it works if done properly.

Overall I'm very impressed with the unit and glad I purchased it.

DNS-323 (H/W ver. B1) |  2 x 1 TB WD Caviar Black (Raid 1) | Corsair Flash Voyager - 16 GB USB | FW 1.08 | fun_plug 0.5

#3 2008-11-25 04:41:15

osxtasy

Thank you for the reply jesbo. 

ok, let me rephrase...

Can anyone honestly state that they had a drive fail while in Raid 1 in the DNS-323, and they merely powered down the unit, then ejected the bad drive, then replaced with a new drive, powered back up, and it actually rebuilt the mirror with NO DATA LOST??? That is the question. Does it do what it's supposed to????

If it doesnt, then why are people(including myself) still using the thing(Russian roulette), other than as a toy to run linux scripts on to test theoretical "thats kewl" scenarios??? I mean, I'm afraid to trust it now that I really need a DEPENDABLE unit that functions as designed.

Last edited by osxtasy (2008-11-25 04:44:02)

#4 2008-11-25 10:33:44

mig

osxtasy wrote:

Can anyone honestly state that they had a drive fail while in Raid 1 in the DNS-323, and...

Honestly, does it really matter what anybody else says about their disaster recovery process?

What really matters is if YOU have a viable, workable disaster recovery process.  And one of the
best ways to prove to yourself that your disaster recovery process works, is to practice it under
controlled circumstances, before the actual disaster occurs.

So... with your data backed up, give it a try.  Fail a drive, practice your recovery procedure, then
YOU will know for sure, if YOU can recover from a failed drive.

Also, be sure to test the RAID1 rebuild with the left drive failed and again with the right drive failed,
the recovery behavior may be different depending on which drive (left or right) fails.

osxtasy wrote:

I'm afraid to trust it now that I really need a DEPENDABLE unit that functions as designed.

Only YOU can establish trust in your DNS-323. 

For what it's worth... I trust my DNS-323 as much as any other computer storage device, which means...
I ALWAYS have a backup of my data!

Just curious, what has caused you to distrust your DNS-323?

DNS-323 • 2x Seagate Barracuda ES 7200.10 ST3250620NS 250GB SATAII (3.0Gb/s) 7200RPM 16MB • RAID1 • FW1.03 • ext2 
Fonz's v0.3 fun_plug http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug

#5 2008-11-25 16:19:42

jesbo

+1 to mig.

I liked the DNS-323 for the potential of reducing the number/frequency of my home data backups.  However, after more than 30 years in IT I know only too well that nothing is fool proof - not even the high end storage systems costing many thousands of $$.  So I back it up just as I would any data on storage media - for 2 reasons: Disaster recovery, and point in time data recovery.  There are occasionally times when I screw up data on my own, or inadvertently delete and need to recover a file or group of files to a point in time (usually the last backup).  I still religiously do backups to offline media.  Perhaps a bit old-school, but it works for me.

I agree that a full set of faulure test scenarios for the DNS is in order (even for me) and you must understand how to recover from them.  The wrong time to try to figure it out is AFTER the drive fails with live data on it and no offline backups.

DNS-323 (H/W ver. B1) |  2 x 1 TB WD Caviar Black (Raid 1) | Corsair Flash Voyager - 16 GB USB | FW 1.08 | fun_plug 0.5

#6 2008-11-25 18:42:22

osxtasy

Thank you all for your replies, just wanted various opinions. I too am a true believer in backups, which is why I have the unit backed up in the first place. Guess I shall continue this measure going forward, but not before testing a drive failure scenario for each drive (left and right). If it passes, (rebuilds from both sides) then I just may upgrade to 1TB drives, or move to the DNS-343, but somehow,  I dont think it will pass gathering from some of the posts I've read.

Thank-you fellow DNSr's

#7 2008-11-25 20:01:13

jesbo

When you do your failure scenarios, by all means document your process and findings.  I will do the same.  I may not get around to doing it, though until after the holidays.

My thinking for a disaster test is to power off the unit, remove a drive, install the removed drive in a spare windows machine and delete all partitions.  Then verify that the DNS is still functional with one working drive and that data is accessible.  Then power it off, reinsert the blanked disk and go from there.  This should simulate the installation of a new disk and allow for Raid 1 mirror rebuild.

If this is successful, repeat the above process with the second disk.

#8 2008-11-25 21:49:05

luusac

jesbo wrote:

Then power it off, reinsert the blanked disk and go from there.  This should simulate the installation of a new disk and allow for Raid 1 mirror rebuild.

But the 323 stores the drives serial # in flash - testing it this way wouldn't be the same as putting in a different drive (which would have a different serial), would it?  You can of course update the serial in flash from the console after 'failure' - how to has been documented several times here, but it is an additional step.  I haven't run the scenarios you are proposing myself, just a thought that occured on reading your post .....

Last edited by luusac (2008-11-25 21:50:13)

#9 2008-11-26 04:24:14

jesbo

luusac wrote:

But the 323 stores the drives serial # in flash - testing it this way wouldn't be the same as putting in a different drive (which would have a different serial), would it?  You can of course update the serial in flash ...

Thanks for the heads up on that.  I would think the RAID software should be able to handle the situation that it sees the same serial number disk with missing partitions and still be able to rebuild the mirror.  But true - its not the same failure scenario as a true drive failure with a different physical disk replaced.  I guess my failure test scenario is focused more on seeing it rebuild the disk including setting up the correct partitions, file systems, adding it to the metadisk and syncing the data.  If it can do that on the same disk, I would expect it to do it on a brand new disk (different serial number) as well.

#10 2008-11-26 05:35:05

fordem

Back in the days of fw 1.03 I did my RAID1 disk failure simulations - using pretty much the same procedure that jesbo has suggested in post #7 - with one disk missing I was able to both read & write to the remaining disk and when I inserted the same disk after wiping the partitions and data, it did reformat and rebuild the array correctly.

What it did not do was provide any disk failure indications - no amber LED and no email alert - to get those alerts, I had to "hot unplug" the disk - I believe this has been fixed in a later firmware.

#11 2008-11-26 22:13:11

bq041

Keep in mind, the serial number storage and config files are a function of the DLink F/W, not the RAID software.  The RAID software works fine, the bugs appear in the DLink side of things.

DNS-323     F/W: 1.04b84  H/W: A1  ffp: 0.5  Drives: 2X 400 GB Seagate SATA-300
DNS-323     F/W: 1.05b28  H/W: B1  ffp: 0.5  Drives: 2X 1 TB  WD SATA-300
DSM-G600   F/W: 1.02       H/W: B                Drive:  500 GB WD ATA

Board footer