DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-03-28 15:45:47

workwilliam

Power Failure - blinking drive lights

Hi everyone,

I've been looking for awhile through the posts, and yes I am also a newbie when it comes to hard drives and NAS.

We had a power outage yesterday, several hours later I realized that this had obviously turned off my 323.  So I turned it back on, and the two Hitachi 750 GB drives I had previously installed in the 323 (and have never had any problems with), their drive lights blink continuously.  I thought maybe it just would take awhile for the 323 to "come back", so I left it doing this blinking overnight (about 4-5 hours).  When I woke up, it was still doing the same thing - seemingly no progress.

I've tried a hard reset, and the 323 still behaves the same.  I can no longer access the 323 drives from any of my computers.

In going into its web-configuration page, it does recognize that there are 2 drives (under the status tab), but the Easy Search Utility only sees the 323 itself, and will not display any drives within it.

I suspect perhaps I need to get the data off the drives themselves in another fashion, then reformat the drives, so that the 323 will "accept" these drives again, in a clean state. 

Again, I am a pretty big newbie, so this is all just my own patchwork speculation.  ANY guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as there are many photos and videos stored on these 2 drives.

Thank you everyone,

William

Last edited by workwilliam (2009-03-28 15:49:30)

#2 2009-03-28 16:10:54

luusac

Re: Power Failure - blinking drive lights

are they setup in a raid1 configuration?  If so their status may be listed as 'degraded' in the web interface and the 323 is autmatically resyncing - I have heard this takes hours and hours.  Look in the web interface under Status - Sync Time Remaining.  You say that the status says 2 drives - it does when you have raid1 too, which I why I ask.

#3 2009-03-28 16:23:16

workwilliam

If I recall, I had set the drives up to be individual drives by themselves, so I believe that is not a RAID configuration, correct?

Also, when I checked under the status tab in configuration, it shows drives as 2, but does not list anything under the "Physical Drives" section. 

I also don't see anything with the label of "sync time", so I don't know if that's a function of RAID setups or if I'm just missing it somehow...

Thanks

#4 2009-03-28 18:49:18

luusac

Yes, you are correct, if they are set up as individual drives then there is no raid.
I can't see the Physical Drives section that you mention, but then again I am running raid so that is probably why not.  Yes sync time is purely a raid 'feature', so in your setup it should not be there.  I just thought of syncing as that might well result in your symptoms given the power outage.  One final check - did you see Volume_1 and Volume_2 before?  Assuming that there was no jbod or raid0 then you can pull yor drives (make sure you label which bay you have removed them from) and connect them to a desktop or external enclosure and get the data off.  depending on your desktop OS you may need to install a driver as the 323 uses the ext2 or ext3 filesystem.

#5 2009-03-28 19:16:06

workwilliam

Yes, previous to this happening, I could see volumes 1 & 2 - but not currently.

I have both Windows XP and Vista OS on my different computers...will I need the driver you mentioned?  And particularly where would I get that driver?

Thank you for your advice on this - I think I will go buy an external enclosure tomorrow when I get a chance and try to pull the data off.

#6 2009-03-28 19:36:18

luusac

The driver is the installable ext2 fs driver or ext2ifs for short see http://www.fs-driver.org/.  With a windows computer you will need the driver.  Try it on XP before vista, although the website does say that it works on vista.  Try hooking up the hdd direct to your desktop and set the ext2ifs to read/only.  An alternative is to download and burn a linux live-cd like ubuntu - that way you can boot linux direct from cd without having to install it on your hdd and you will be able to access the directly attached 323 hard disk and your 'normal' windows partitions on your machine.

#7 2009-03-28 20:00:17

workwilliam

I've downloaded the driver and will post an update after I've hooked the drives up to my computer via external enclosure, and see if I can transfer the data, re-format the drives, and revive the 323...

#8 2009-03-28 21:22:33

blahsome

My suggestions for the future are: UPS and backup.

#9 2009-03-28 22:19:45

workwilliam

Yes, I'm thinking when I pick up the external HD enclosure, I'll also pick up an UPS as well...

Board footer