DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-06-04 23:50:03

vanfanel

Blast! DNS formatted _wrong_ hard drive!!!!

:sigh:

I bought me a Hitachi drive which required firmware 1.07 (according to Dlink) for proper integration. I upgraded, slapped hard drives, booted up and it asked me to initialize the hard drive - specifically labeling it as the Hitachi 1 TB drive (i also had a WD 1 TB drive). I chose the Hitachi one, pressed the magic button and........ it ate my WD drive - and failed mid format to apparently.

I managed to rebuild the partition table but I can only use Windows utilities (since i am a linux noob) and only can get "raw" format files (so no filenames, no extensions...)

Does anyone have a tutorial for data recovery using Ubuntu LiveCD? I am all but ready to give up on this sad

#2 2009-06-05 10:22:45

luusac

Re: Blast! DNS formatted _wrong_ hard drive!!!!

there are loads of posts on this - it is a well known problem that dlink are working on for the next f/w release (not that that will help you).  search the forum to find what people have used.  I have to say though that I don't think that many people have reported success with recovery tools, and as you have rebuilt the partition tables using windows tools I think that you have even less of a chance - sorry to be so negative.

#3 2009-06-08 05:06:02

kenyloveg

basically i format action can'e be reversed on linux file system, so you may pay a lot of money to data recovery company to get back part of your data...

#4 2009-06-08 12:37:31

igeorge

Welcome to the club

Ditto last week on my 500G Samsung, when adding a new 1TB Samsung.  Pathetic really...

Ian

#5 2009-06-09 05:44:56

vanfanel

Well - thankfully all of it was media, ISOs, music... so not THAT big of a deal. The ISOs are recoverable... but damn what a shi**y situation... oh well, what can I do!

#6 2009-06-10 05:36:16

doti

I had no idea this was a known issue.  Same thing happened to me.  I thought I was just crazy.  To make matters worse the drive that I was trying to format had stopped mirroring 6 months ago.  No error light, nothing.   So then it prompts me to format one drive, and I double/triple check the serial number on it, thought I was good, and it formats the wrong damn drive.  I hope they aren't just "working on it", this should have people up nights.  I know I have been....

#7 2009-08-20 02:29:24

kring

This is absurd... so D-link pays to recover right?  I just had this happen to me, I bought a 3rd drive for redundancy to swap out the left volume2 drive every month or so... and it just wiped out the master!  What the hell D-link?  are you serious? and it's taking you a year to correct this?  where's 1.08....

This pathetic support is the end for me... never again will I buy d-link products.

I sense we have an easy-win class action lawsuit.

I'm on with d-link support in India and they insist that it's my fault, that i deliberately formatted the wrong drive... And they also are telling me it is my fault for not keeping a "backup" of my DNS-323 backup. That I should just do another backup from my PC and all is fixed...   This is unreal....

Can we please make this a sticky post at the top of the forum?

Last edited by kring (2009-08-20 02:50:00)

#8 2009-08-20 03:36:26

andrey

I had a wrong drive formatted as well. Since than I turned off DNS-323 for good. Can't really trust a device that can't keep my data safe. They're sending me replacement, but I'm not holding my hopes up for this ridiculous device.

#9 2009-08-20 13:35:57

hooligan

Rule Number One. Never muck with an OS/hardware without a CURRENT and VERIFIED backup.
Rule Number Two: Double check Rule Number One and don't believe the clown who tells you they have one. Check.

#10 2009-08-20 15:51:51

fordem

hooligan wrote:

Rule Number One. Never muck with an OS/hardware without a CURRENT and VERIFIED backup.
Rule Number Two: Double check Rule Number One and don't believe the clown who tells you they have one. Check.

Don't get me wrong hooligan - I endorse what you are saying 1000% - but it's been my experience that no one likes to be told that they made the mistake of not taking responsibility for their own data.

On that note I'd like to welcome you to the small group of us who are like Moses - voices in the wilderness - who have have been flamed and branded as trolls for preaching the gospel of data integrity.

If I might add be allowed to contribute ...

Rule Number Three.  YOU still need to backup even if you have no intention of mucking with the OS/hardware - failure can occur unprovoked.

#11 2009-08-22 00:18:35

Pejn

I agree that you should have several backups, but the pathetic thing is that they havnt fixed it yet and its been a known issue for a long time, ffs this should be a NR1 priority fix!.

Board footer