DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-06-25 21:35:02

klm889

Funplug does not install automatically

All, I need some help...
First... I have been 'Googlin' my problem all day and have just finished searching this forum. If the answer to my question was already answered, please forgive my stupidity, but I did try to avoid opening a new thread....

I recently bought a CH3SNAS, which has been working fine so far. I would like to install TwonkyMedia on the NAS, as well as a bittorrent client. Yesterday I found some 'shortcut' manoever that installed Twonky for me, without having to install Funplug separately, it also seemed to take care of MLDonkey.

Twonky was running fine, MLDonkey didn't work. When browsing for answers I noticed that the automatic install of Funplug probably wasn't totally complete. Newbie as I am, I found that I could not just delete all installed data on the NAS and therefore chose to re-format the drive, so I could try again from scratch and now choose the step by step install.

So far, so good....

I have downloaded the fun plug text and the tgz file (0.5) and have stored them on the root of Volume_1 of my NAS, according to the manual. I then rebooted the device, awaiting it to extract the tgz file and install Funplug. Nothing... I have tried so many times by now, it leaves the tgz file fully intact, no folders are added, just nothing happens.

I can not reach my Box using Telnet. I was able to do so yesterday when I had Twonky running, no idea whether I could before.

Yesterday I was running firmware 1.05b5 on my NAS, today I downgraded to 1.05b1, nothing happened. I have restored NAS factory defaults, nothing happened. I even used the reset button on the back of the box, nothing happened... I am trying to install Funplug 0.5, my NAS only has 1 disk installed, 1TB. In some threads I read it could be useful to put the Funplug files on Volume_2, to try that, I switched the position of the harddrive, no result.

Can someone please tell me what I am missing here???

Thanks so much for your help, I'm SO annoyed having spent hours on this today... :-(

#2 2009-06-25 21:38:58

fonz
Member / Developer
Website

Re: Funplug does not install automatically

Have you checked for common mistakes? http://dns323.kood.org/howto:ffp#troubleshooting

#3 2009-06-25 21:52:24

klm889

Thank you for your comment.

I did check it, but I don't think there is a problem described there similar to mine. Although the Telnet session obviously does not start, the process does not even come as far as extracting the .tar file. Do you think it might have to do with the double password thing?? I would say that problem only occurs AFTER the extraction.

Am I wrong in the assumption that formatting the NAS' drive removes ALL previous settings with regard to Funplug or any related application?

I have an empty disk with your 2 files on its' root. What could go wrong???

#4 2009-06-25 22:38:21

luusac

what are the files in the root volume called?  Has a .sh extension been appended to fun_plug ?  Yes formatting gets rid of all ffp , the only thing that it doesn't get rid of is f/w configuration data that the unit stores in flash.  So you don't have an ffp.log file?  If you do post it. if you have one hdd put in the the RH bay.  Are you sure that the contents of fun_plug and the .tar are valid (not corrupted)?

#5 2009-06-25 22:52:09

klm889

The files are called :

fun_plug.txt
and
fun_plug.tgz

I suppose the formatting of the harddisk also removed the log file. Is there a way to clear the information stored in flash? And so, is there a necessity to do so?

I don't know whether the two funplug files are ok, but since I downloaded them straight from Fonz' website, I assumed they are.

I already had the drive in the RH bay earlier today, which didn't change anything. However, since you indicate it's better to have it in the right one, I'll change it back and have it restart again.

#6 2009-06-26 02:44:12

Bobby

remove the .txt extension and reboot the machine, it should install it that way.

#7 2009-06-26 03:43:56

luusac

Bobby has already pointed out the solution, but there won't ever have been an ffp.log to lose during the format because the startup file (whatever it contains) must be called "fun_plug" - no extension.  So rename the file removing the ".txt" and reboot, it should install then.  It takes a but longer the first time as it is unpacking the archive and installing, the install script then deletes the .tgz file.  If it doesn't work and there still is no /ffp and no ffp.log then download the files again, also don't open the fun_plug file as if you are using a non unix line ending aware/safe editor (notepad for example, is unaware) and then you save it you will 'corrupt' the file (by introducing the wrong line endings)

#8 2009-06-26 10:19:13

klm889

That was it!! Although I already read the 'remove .txt extension' tip in a different thread, it didn't work before. Now I see that saving it straigh to the root without a filetype, results in the file being stored as funplug.. . I just removed the .. in the dos-prompt, now it worked...

Thanks a lot for your help, I hope the rest of the 'operation' goes a bit smoother :-)

#9 2009-07-31 16:11:21

Glasbakkie

I have the same problem.

Once installed the files in the root of a raid1 configured DNS-323 with FW 1.07, nothing seems to happen.

Files have been unchanged (no .txt extention).

BT application has been installed (not running any torrents at this moment)

There is a "Nas_Prog" directory where the BT program seems to be.
Any ideas for me??

#10 2009-08-22 13:59:31

fickle

i am in the same boat. FW 1.07 and tried to install latest version of FP. as one of the previous posters have stated.. i downloaded the fun_plug.tgz via firefox (did not rename the file) and just copied said file to the root of Volume_1 of the 323 & rebooted the 323. tried telnet (as i was anxious .. had 1.04 FW and FP worked then).. but no dice

things i have tried
reformatting new HD (1tb samsung)
restored to defaults on 323
tried installing FP on right bay & left bay (with no other drives present)

note, i had FP working on 1.04, then updated FW to 1.07 and worked still.. then i replaced the HD.. now no dice on FP

curious, can i copy the fun_plug directory to the new HD via robocopy? and would that work?

anyone else know of other ideas to get it working? id like to get nightly backups working again (i cannot use the previous HD)

cheers

Last edited by fickle (2009-08-22 14:00:23)

#11 2009-08-22 14:16:34

luusac

you have both "fun_plug.tgz" and "fun_plug" right?  You don't just need to look out for the added .txt extension - but any extension at all (one file with the .tgz extension and the other with no extension at all).  And you have copied both files to both volumes and rebooted?  Is there an ffp.log file - if so, post its output.  You have only copied the files right - not opened and saved (e.g. fun_plug).  If in doubt download fresh copies from the server.

Last edited by luusac (2009-08-22 14:17:32)

#12 2009-08-22 18:55:32

bjarne

Did you make sure that fun_plug have execute permission.  I had that problem a couple of weeks ago when I installed on my DNS-321, the execute permission was lost.  I did a chmod 777 on fun_plug and everything just worked smile

#13 2009-08-23 02:10:36

fickle

hey guys, just wanted to say thanks for your assist.

stupid me forgot about the "fun_plug" file (without any extension)

woot, FP working again.. im a happy chap

thanks again
cheers

#14 2010-09-18 09:01:41

futbol4me

bjarne wrote:

Did you make sure that fun_plug have execute permission.  I had that problem a couple of weeks ago when I installed on my DNS-321, the execute permission was lost.  I did a chmod 777 on fun_plug and everything just worked smile

THANKS!!!!  I was pulling my hair out... I'm new to MAC OSX and I think you definitely have to reset the permission on the file after downloading it because the system will not recognize it as an executable.  Not sure if you have to do this if you transfer the file from windows (or how it handles the permissions).

Board footer