DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-11-06 00:46:38

quantass

DNS-323 not sleeping

I own a DNS-323 and it is connected to my Windows Vista / 7 system.  Firmware v 1.06.

I've enabled HDD Hibernation and Config Inactivity Timer to 10 minutes.  With that said I notice the unit never sleeps.  At times I do hear it power down the drive but 1 second later it powers back on and is active again.

What is preventing my unit from going to sleep?  Which Windows Service could be doing this?

#2 2009-11-07 13:39:54

Pyro

Re: DNS-323 not sleeping

Firmware 1.06 is the problem dude..re-flash to 1.05 with fix it until Dlink pull there fingers out thir a$$es and fit it in 1.07

#3 2009-11-07 14:10:43

fordem

Pyro wrote:

Firmware 1.06 is the problem dude..re-flash to 1.05 with fix it until Dlink pull there fingers out thir a$$es and fit it in 1.07

The problem is not within the firmware - I've used the DNS-323 with every firmware released from 1.02 through to the current 1.08 betas and mine sleeps - it has not been problem free, but, if the DNS-323 is not sleeping then troubleshoot the problem, find the cause and fix it.

quantass wrote:

I own a DNS-323 and it is connected to my Windows Vista / 7 system.  Firmware v 1.06.

I've enabled HDD Hibernation and Config Inactivity Timer to 10 minutes.  With that said I notice the unit never sleeps.  At times I do hear it power down the drive but 1 second later it powers back on and is active again.

What is preventing my unit from going to sleep?  Which Windows Service could be doing this?

Quantass - start by determining if there is an internal (to the DNS-323) or external cause - disconnect the network cable and leave the unit - if it sleeps then something on your network is waking it, if it doesn't, then an internal process running on the unit itself will be the cause.

#4 2009-11-07 17:37:48

007james

quantass, are you using twonky media by any chance? I had the same issue with hibernation and I found that changing the twonky media>configuration>sharing>"Rescan in minutes" setting to "0" in  allowed the hard drives to hibernate. you just need to manual scan after you add new media. Works for me anyway ...........

#5 2009-11-09 11:38:59

Pyro

fordem wrote:

Pyro wrote:

The problem is not within the firmware - I've used the DNS-323 with every firmware released from 1.02 through to the current 1.08 betas and mine sleeps - it has not been problem free, but, if the DNS-323 is not sleeping then troubleshoot the problem, find the cause and fix it..

I’m in AU ..I don’t know where the OP is from..but if he is from AU then I guaranty you it is the firmware my friend. As we have a different version from the US
I had 1.05 installed and had been running it for ages, I then update to 1.06 and it won’t sleep after that, I head for the net and read that others with 1.06 have the same problem?

And how do you fix the problem? Besides, I didn’t pay $300 for it to have to trouble shoot and try and find a fix myself.
Apart from trying different firmware there isn’t a lot the end-user can do.

Last edited by Pyro (2009-11-09 11:39:19)

#6 2009-11-09 13:11:39

fordem

Pyro wrote:

I’m in AU ..I don’t know where the OP is from..but if he is from AU then I guaranty you it is the firmware my friend. As we have a different version from the US

Depending on whose angle you're looking at it from - unfortunately (or fortunately) Dlink Australia does not maintain older copies of the firmware - it was my intent to do a CRC comparison of the Australian 1.06 and the US 1.06 - to show you that they were in fact identical - but, alas, since I have no access to the Australian 1.06, you're off the hook.

I had 1.05 installed and had been running it for ages, I then update to 1.06 and it won’t sleep after that, I head for the net and read that others with 1.06 have the same problem?

Did you do a reset to defaults after the upgrade?  Did you verify which version of 1.06 the others were running?

And how do you fix the problem? Besides, I didn’t pay $300 for it to have to trouble shoot and try and find a fix myself.
Apart from trying different firmware there isn’t a lot the end-user can do.

If you don't want to invest the time to troubleshoot, then it's your choice - I've already outlined the first steps (see my previous post) - mine works, and I've put quite a bit of time into helping others resolve similar issues - but since you're not interested, I don't see a point in prolonging this - but feel free to take that first step and post your findings.

#7 2009-11-10 11:18:13

Pyro

fordem wrote:

Depending on whose angle you're looking at it from - unfortunately (or fortunately) Dlink Australia does not maintain older copies of the firmware - it was my intent to do a CRC comparison of the Australian 1.06 and the US 1.06 - to show you that they were in fact identical - but, alas, since I have no access to the Australian 1.06, you're off the hook].

It looks like dlink AU have in fact released some new firmware it seems ( I take back what I said about them tongue )

Looking at BOTH the AU and US firmware release notes it looks like dlink may have had a problem with 1.05 and the hdd not going bye byes.

AU :
Firmware: 1.06B62

Fixes:
- 1st HDD unable to sleep issue.
- FixedBT downloaded files are unable to be deleted sometimes.
- Auto Refresh of UPnP AV/iTunes Server working not properly.
- unable to show DDNS status.
- XBox 360 fails to play media files when the device's IP address includes '0'.
- UPnP AV Large file( > 4GB) issue.
- Time stamp of files are incorrect when DST is enabled.
- Hotplugging a drive causes 1st HDD unable to sleep issue.
- Hotplugging a drive causes sending alert email continually.
- Print server failed to work after formatting Volume_1.

US: Firmware: 1.06

Feature Additions:
1. Supports 1.5 TB Hard Drives.
2. USB port supports UPS monitoring.
3. Add option to Manually or Automatically Rebuild Raid.
4. UPnP AV supports Microsoft XBoX 360, Sony PlayStation 3.
5. Support FTP over SSL/TLS.
6. Add Unicode support to FTP Server.
7. Email Alerts supports Gmail.

Function Changes:
1. Turn off Fan at low system temperature.
2. Disable UPnP AV Server and iTunes Server by default.
3. Remove static DNS from the DDNS server provider list.
4. Remove the DDNS Timeout setting from GUI, and change the Status design. fixed timeout timer as 576 hours.
5. Remove the Auto Refresh Timer option for UPnP AV and iTunes Server, instantly Auto Refresh by default.
6. More user friendly Time Settings GUI design.

Bug fixes:
1. Fix BT downloaded files sometimes are unable to be deleted.
2. UPnP AV support large file (over 4GB).
3. Fix 1st HDD unable to sleep.
4. Fix HDD cannot hibernate if UPnP AV or iTunes Server is enabled.
5. Time stamp of files are incorrect when DST is enabled.

Ill point you to both cases where is clearly states.

AU
- 1st HDD unable to sleep issue.
- Hotplugging a drive causes 1st HDD unable to sleep issue.

US
3. Fix 1st HDD unable to sleep
4. Fix HDD cannot hibernate if UPnP AV or iTunes Server is enabled

Do you think version 1.05 in both US and AU might have had a problem with the hdd not sleeping? And I bet you they didnt fix the problem in 1.06 also

And ill also point out here in the AU there are also 2 different revisions of the 323, a A and a B version and need the firmware of the right model also.
eg. DNS-323 Revision  A and DNS-323 Revision B

You also can’t use the US firmware on the Au model.

Did you do a reset to defaults after the upgrade?  Did you verify which version of 1.06 the others were running?

Yes I sure did. No as there is only one 1.06 firmware realeased in AU

If you don't want to invest the time to troubleshoot, then it's your choice - I've already outlined the first steps (see my previous post) - mine works, and I've put quite a bit of time into helping others resolve similar issues - but since you're not interested, I don't see a point in prolonging this - but feel free to take that first step and post your findings.

Its not a case of not interested at all.. but you can only do so much ..its up to dlink in the end to fix the problem as they made it and understand it the best.
1.06 didn’t work for me and alot of other end-users, and its now clear that 1.05 had a problem with the unit and the hdd not sleeping. And wasnt fixed in 1.06.
As I said before you can’t do alot  apart from rolling back to a firmware that works and waiting on dlink to fix the problem.

In the end I think the Op should upgrade to 1.07 or 1.08 and see if that fixes the problem. I will be doing the same.
I also read that if you change the time from 10 to 15min that will fix the problem.

Edit ..some more reading for you
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=3855.0
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=3772.0

http://dns323.kood.org/forum/viewtopic. … 74&p=3
http://dns323.kood.org/forum/t3672-Firm … ms%3F.html

Hmm wait a min..lets go back to your first post

fordem wrote:

I've used the DNS-323 with every firmware released from 1.02 through to the current 1.08 betas and mine sleeps.

And an older post ..

fordem wrote:

I have been running a DNS-323 for almost two and a half years, from fw 1.02 all the way through to the 1.08 beta, and in that time I have seen my DNS-323 not hibernate on two occasions .

So you have had troubles with it not sleeping or you havent?

Last edited by Pyro (2009-11-10 12:17:14)

#8 2009-11-13 16:24:39

quantass

fordem wrote:

Pyro wrote:

The problem is not within the firmware - I've used the DNS-323 with every firmware released from 1.02 through to the current 1.08 betas and mine sleeps - it has not been problem free, but, if the DNS-323 is not sleeping then troubleshoot the problem, find the cause and fix it.

quantass wrote:

Quantass - start by determining if there is an internal (to the DNS-323) or external cause - disconnect the network cable and leave the unit - if it sleeps then something on your network is waking it, if it doesn't, then an internal process running on the unit itself will be the cause.

I have disconnected the unit from the network for over an hour and unit remains awake.  I can hear the low hum of the HDD(?).   No light is flashing.

I live in Canada and am using firmware version 1.06.  I am running through the provided steps above and will post my findings shortly.

Last edited by quantass (2009-11-13 16:29:47)

#9 2009-11-13 18:54:55

truxntrax

Tried all the tips and mine doesn't sleep with v1.06.  Awaiting next firmware update.  Worry about my harddrives wearing out

#10 2009-11-13 19:21:21

fordem

Pyro wrote:

Hmm wait a min..lets go back to your first post

fordem wrote:

I've used the DNS-323 with every firmware released from 1.02 through to the current 1.08 betas and mine sleeps.

And an older post ..

fordem wrote:

I have been running a DNS-323 for almost two and a half years, from fw 1.02 all the way through to the 1.08 beta, and in that time I have seen my DNS-323 not hibernate on two occasions .

So you have had troubles with it not sleeping or you havent?

Since you took the time to research my older posts and quote them - I'd be quite surprised to hear that the post which specified the two occasions, didn't also describe them - perhaps you did not notice that statements were not mutually exclusive, and neither one of them claims that I have never had a problem.  It is in fact because I've had the problems, that I have the experience that enables me to state, with conviction, that you need to find the cause and fix it yourself.

However - since you wish to nit pick... 

My DNS-323 is sitting behind me in the same location it has been for roughly three years and it is "asleep" - so the first quote above is 100% correct - I've used it with every firmware released from 1.02 through to the current 1.08 betas and it sleeps.

In that time period I have had two occasions under which it would not hibernate, the first was traced to a file in the print queue - this would have been back in the days before D-Link introduced a button to clear the print queue, and the second was shortly after a firmware upgrade (I don't recall which) and that was resolved by resetting the unit to it's factory defaults - if I recall correctly one of the "add-in" servers - ftp/uPnP-AV or iTunes - was enabled and I was not aware of it - so the second quote is 100% correct.

By the way - I'm sure if you do the due diligence - you'll find posts that show folks have used the Australian firmware on the US models & vice versa, so your statement that it can't be done is not correct.

Last edited by fordem (2009-11-13 19:23:40)

Board footer