DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#26 2010-11-14 08:46:20

haim

Re: Alt-F-0.1B5 has been released

@jcard

Where would you questions/bugs etc?  Here or on the google code site?

I've tried putting avahi on as a package.  Installed fine though doesn't appear in the 'services' area. 
I checked the system log and found

daemon.err avahi-daemon[472]: Failed to find user 'default'

There is some suggestion online that some post install for this package sets up a user called 'avahi' and a group of the same name.

I've tried to create a group, that worked.  However when trying to create a user 'avahi' I get:

chmod: /home/avahi: No such file or directory
HTTP/1.1 303
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8

I tried creating the directory by hand, this led the error message not appearing, just going back to the user screen with no user added.

Haim

#27 2010-11-14 09:11:11

haim

User creation works if you :

1. Input the values, click create
2. See error message, click back
3. input same values again, click create

Now its there smile

#28 2010-11-14 13:47:01

haim

Me again smile

Anyone running the miniDLNA package through alt-f?

I've installed and it says its running.  Have set up a folder to share.

However log file says it couldn't create the .pid file.  So I've chmod'ed /var/run for all to be able to use  it (nice security smile ) and it could create a .pid file.
However still not visible on the network. (using UPnP Inspector on ubuntu which is based on conference it seems).
When I stop and start the service it gets puts an error that it can't open the pid file agian, but this time because it already exists!  If I delete it, then it can start again without warning.
I've tried deleting the .db file, this recreates each time, no warnings.

But still not visible sad

Anyone got ideas on
1.  How I can get it to deal with the .pid file nicely?  I'm not clued up on how alt-f is dealing with users, does it run things as root?  Was I supposed to create some other users after install which are necessary?
2.  Getting miniDLNA to be visible on the network.

I might pop this over in the main thread too, now that I think about it.

Cheers

Haim

#29 2010-11-14 23:52:49

jcard

haim wrote:

@jcard

Where would you questions/bugs etc?  Here or on the google code site?

Bugs to  the google code site, and/or discussions in  the google group.
Just trying to keep things together, so users could benefit from others experience.

I've tried putting avahi on as a package.  Installed fine though doesn't appear in the 'services' area. 
I checked the system log and found

daemon.err avahi-daemon[472]: Failed to find user 'default'

the avahi package is completely untested, as netatalk (which will be dropped if nobody shows interest) you have to do everything "by hand"

There is some suggestion online that some post install for this package sets up a user called 'avahi' and a group of the same name.

The package configure , which I have used verbatim, says:

--with-avahi-user=default \
        --with-avahi-group=default \
        --with-autoipd-user=default \
        --with-autoipd-group=default

so a avahi.postinst script file (that belongs to the package and runs automatically after package installation) should say something like:

Code:

#!/bin/sh

addgroup -S -g <what group id?> default
adduser -S -g "avahi daemon" -G default -u <what user id?> -h /var/lib/avahi avahi

chown -R avahi:avhai /etc/avahi/avahi.conf
ln -sf /usr/sbin/rcscript /sbin/rcavahi

and a /etc/init.d/S??avahi script file should be written to start/stop the services.
If that file has "TYPE=net", it would appear in the Network Services, and if a
/usr/www/cgi-bin/avahi.cgi file exists, a "Configure" button would appear next to the
Start/Stop button.

Package "users" should have their home directory under /var/lib/, they are not ordinary users.

Pretty simple.

I've tried to create a group, that worked.  However when trying to create a user 'avahi' I get:

chmod: /home/avahi: No such file or directory
HTTP/1.1 303

This could be a bug... I have to check it out -- was is the first user you created? Did you noticed the assigned userid number? (cat /etc/password and cat /etc/groups)

I tried creating the directory by hand, this led the error message not appearing, just going back to the user screen with no user added.

Haim

Only users with an user id greater than 100 (or 1000?) are shown.
The user and group web page is intended for blood and flesh users, not for daemons or vampires wink

Thanks.

Please consider discussing Alt-F at http://groups.google.com/group/alt-f/topics
Please consider filling Alt-F bugs at http://code.google.com/p/alt-f/issues/list

#30 2010-11-15 01:14:36

jcard

haim wrote:

Me again smile

Anyone running the miniDLNA package through alt-f?

I've installed and it says its running.  Have set up a folder to share.

However log file says it couldn't create the .pid file.  So I've chmod'ed /var/run for all to be able to use  it (nice security smile ) and it could create a .pid file.

I must admit that I haven't use or test packages since a long time. And perhaps Alt-F has evolved in ways that makes some packages to fail now.

minidlna author does not tag cvs and does not makes source releases, so I just got the package as it was from cvs.

But I have installed minidlna just now (on a pre 0.1B6) and had no problems.
No pid file created but I think to remember that it run OK this way, without the problem of removing the pid file when stopping (and again on restart)
But you are right, I could only use it with xbmc when invoking it from cli as root: "minidlna -d"

I remember that I tested all upnp/dlna packages with xbmc, as I couldn't find none to work with my media-center...

"minidlna" is a system user of the "multimedia" group (cat /etc/passwd /etc/group)

Thanks

However still not visible on the network. (using UPnP Inspector on ubuntu which is based on conference it seems).
When I stop and start the service it gets puts an error that it can't open the pid file agian, but this time because it already exists!  If I delete it, then it can start again without warning.
I've tried deleting the .db file, this recreates each time, no warnings.

But still not visible sad

Anyone got ideas on
1.  How I can get it to deal with the .pid file nicely?  I'm not clued up on how alt-f is dealing with users, does it run things as root?  Was I supposed to create some other users after install which are necessary?
2.  Getting miniDLNA to be visible on the network.

I might pop this over in the main thread too, now that I think about it.

Cheers

Haim

Please consider filling Alt-F bugs at http://code.google.com/p/alt-f/issues/list

#31 2010-11-15 16:02:47

haim

Cheers Jcard, some great info.  I'm not clued up at all about users or really how programs are hanging together in linux.

I'll have a play with this new info over the next few days when I get a change.

New correspondence will be put on the project pages.

#32 2010-11-15 16:21:40

wayrunner

Big job Jcard!!! Congratulations!!! If alt-f is stable and working with a good upnp server like minidlna like a charm it is perfect for me. I need it "only" to share media, and as you wrote it is your priority. It will be nice for me see it working fine with a bt, emule client.

Thank you very much for your effort.

WayRunner

#33 2010-11-16 02:34:48

pnin

jcard wrote:

[...]

I also think that Alt-F has potentialities, but I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of reports and the the meager download figures...

Just a quick post to let you know that I totally agree with you on Alt-F potential; I have been meaning to give it a whirl, but things have been pretty hectic on my side (aggravated by severe cases of offline, both at home and at work) so I haven't managed yet to give Alt-F the attention it deserves.

Please give it time. Once people learn of this alternative, they'll start to use more and more ("If you build it, they will come"). I hope this will encourage you not to give up on such great work, which I'm hoping will finally do justice to the fine piece of hardware the DNS-323 is...

#34 2010-11-19 04:23:23

dwmcqueen

I just installed and so far I am very impressed.  However, I have one big issue - What is the username / password for the SWAT page?

Last edited by dwmcqueen (2010-11-19 04:25:50)

#35 2010-11-19 10:22:28

wayrunner

I flashed my CH3SNAS with Alt-F 0.1B5. I formatted my two hard disks in RAID 1 with ext4. It's working perfect. Great!

What's the next step to install minidlna as Alt-F package?

Thanks.

#36 2010-11-19 11:35:09

haim

wayrunner wrote:

I flashed my CH3SNAS with Alt-F 0.1B5. I formatted my two hard disks in RAID 1 with ext4. It's working perfect. Great!

What's the next step to install minidlna as Alt-F package?

Thanks.

Go into the web admin pages, to the packages section and add the minidlna package.

After that you'll need to make sure it's enabled and running in the 'services' section under 'user' services.  And also click on the 'configure' button to select the folders to share.

I think in theory that's all you have to do, however it's not working properly for me yet.  It's next on my list to sort out after avahi and netatalk.

Others are running it though, I'm sure someone will post if there are other steps.

#37 2010-11-19 12:22:10

wayrunner

Thanks haim,

I'll try this weekend.

And where's the minidlna package? Because my hard disks are empty.

I wait your stable "minidlna" package.

And what package do you recommend for ed2k and bt download that I can choose the usb disk to download the files for the RAID to sleep?

Thanks for your help.

#38 2010-11-19 12:59:03

haim

The minidlna package is available for selection from the alt-f web admin pages.

So pop your NAS IP address in the browser, then navigave to the 'Packages' area, there you can choose Alt-f or FFP.  Choose Alt-f packages, then you can see the list of available 'native' packages for alt-f, click the install button for miniDLNA. 

Then you can do as I wrote above about setting up in the services area.

#39 2010-11-19 13:37:57

wayrunner

Thanks haim,

I'll try this weekend.

Thanks for your help

#40 2010-11-19 21:16:53

jcard

dwmcqueen wrote:

I just installed and so far I am very impressed.  However, I have one big issue - What is the username / password for the SWAT page?

Use "root" (without quotes) for the username and for the password use the web administration password.

#41 2010-11-19 21:20:05

jcard

haim wrote:

I think in theory that's all you have to do, however it's not working properly for me yet.

Please try the fix posted here: http://groups.google.com/group/alt-f

#42 2010-11-19 21:33:48

jcard

wayrunner wrote:

Thanks haim,
And what package do you recommend for ed2k and bt download that I can choose the usb disk to download the files for the RAID to sleep?

Only "Transmission" is available for now.

To install a package your box must be able to access the internet, you must supply a gateway and a nameserver IP; usually those are your router IP and/or ISP nameserver IP.
Set it up in the Setup->Host menu.

Some end-user packages, such as Transmission,  have a configuration web page, that you can find under the Services menu.
Those packages configuration can be found under the Services menu, either at System, Network or User sub menus.

#43 2010-11-20 02:12:17

dwmcqueen

I didn't have a web admin password, and "root" with no password didn't work.  I tried to change the web admin password, but got this error:

cat: can't open '/etc/web-secret': No such file or directory
sh: =: argument expected
HTTP/1.1 303

#44 2010-11-20 03:25:44

jcard

dwmcqueen wrote:

I didn't have a web admin password, and "root" with no password didn't work.  I tried to change the web admin password, but got this error:

cat: can't open '/etc/web-secret': No such file or directory

So, you didn't supply a password the first time you login?

Logout first and then try to go to some page. The login page should appear, and supplying a password and confirming it should fix the problem. Did it?

Can you reproduce the steps you took to loose the password file?

Remember to save settings (System->settings) when you wish to save something definitively in flash. It doesn't need to be every time that you change anything, only when you have a final set a changes.

Thanks

#45 2010-11-20 03:38:21

dwmcqueen

I never had a password to being with (this was a new reflash of the DNS-323) and I leave the password blank when I log in.  I can't set a password now (per the above).  When I go to the password page and (leaving it blank) click on "ChangePassword", I get this:

sh: =: argument expected
HTTP/1.1 303

#46 2010-11-20 03:39:49

dwmcqueen

Can I SSH in and set the password that way?  If so, what should I use for the password?

#47 2010-11-20 04:18:30

dwmcqueen

I telnetted in and changed the passwod for root, now I can login to SWAT.

#48 2010-11-20 05:00:08

jcard

dwmcqueen wrote:

I never had a password to being with ... and I leave the password blank when I log in.

That is a bug, should be corrected by now.
I never expected users to have blank passwords... a too many years unix user :-)

I can't set a password now (per the above).  When I go to the password page and (leaving it blank) click on "ChangePassword", I get this:

Another bug. Same reason.

1-If there is no web password file, in the Login page  ( *not* the System->Utils->changePass), two input fields should appear for you to fill.
Not two input fields? continue with 2.
Two input fields? Enter a ***non empty*** password -- whatever you want, no spaces or strange characters, and repeat it in the second input field.
Login OK? If a "not matched" message appears, continue with 2.

2-telnet the box (not ssh, ssh doesn't allow empty passwords), login as "root" (no quotes) and give an empty password (assuming it)
Login accepted? If not go to 4.
If yes, type
   rm /etc/web-secret
Go to 1. If it does not work again, goto 3.

3-If you telnet OK but 2 followed by 1 didn't work, type
   echo foo > /etc/web-secret
go to the web page, logout, then try to go to any page (other than status). Only one input field should appear? Enter "foo" as password, and login. Succeeded? No? continue with 5 but first read 4.

4-Try the disaster recovery method:
Press and keep pressing the box back button for more than 10 but ***less*** than 20 seconds.
This opens a no password telnet server on port 26. Go to step 2, but telnet using port 26. No password is asked.

5-If you keep the back button pressed for more than 20 seconds all flash settings are erased, including the box IP, and the unity will re rebooted in a pristine state. You have to discover what IP is the box using, read the Wiki.

Hope that the above works... -- anyhow these are all the available possibilities.

Please report back what worked.

0.1B6 will not accept empty passwords. If anybody has empty passwords please change them now.

#49 2010-11-20 07:54:00

haim

Good this came up, as was the same for me.

I tired you're first suggestion Joao, did a log out and then used a password (not yet set) for login, it set itself there and now I have to log in to do anything other than see the status.

#50 2010-11-20 17:01:47

jcard

haim wrote:

and now I have to log in to do anything other than see the status.

But only if you logout, right? You shouldn't need to login for every page you want to access!

Board footer