DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-02-04 06:11:17

leftkidney

fan mod

does anyone know what the best way to mod the fan in the back of the DNS-323 so it runs at full speed all the time

the drives are way to hot   to hot to touch thats for sure

should I just rewire it so it gets 12V power directly from the input power source?

or I should say 5V power because the fan is only a 5V fan, although most fans are 12V and will just run  slower at 5V but when I put 12V to the fan it is going way faster than anyother fan I have and makes a ton of noise    at 5V it runs normally like any other fan I have

not to concerned about it turning off because I want it to stay cool that is more important to me than the noise or life of the fan (I can get another one)

Last edited by leftkidney (2008-02-04 06:59:31)

#2 2008-02-04 11:10:58

gareth

Re: fan mod

What temperature does the admin web page say?

#3 2008-02-04 12:06:21

leftkidney

42deg C     ambient air temp is 22-23deg C

just out of curiosity I connected the fan up to the 5V using a adapter I have for case fans for a computer      there is a normal 3 pin connector on the fan so I just put it on the adapter and used a external power supply to power the fan but the case is on just a wire coming out of it by that square hole in the back for the cord holder thing and used 5V to power it and running all the time it is much cooler to the touch and the temp is 28deg C the ambient air temp is still 22-23deg C

I will most likely mod this to help cool it better but I dont want a switch installed so which would be the 5V power that will be controled by the power switch not the normal power connection on the back where power comes in

#4 2008-02-04 13:45:23

frodo

40 degrees isn't really an issue. As you might find out if your read this article:

http://storagemojo.com/?p=378

#5 2008-02-04 14:30:43

leftkidney

yea thats why I use SpinRite 6 from grc.com    it prevents this from happening as much as it can be prevented from happening     but the HD's have to be removed (it would be cool if you didnt have to do this, let me know if you can)

but really cooler is much better and I am not sure how the DNS reads the temp from teh drives    is it a internal temp probe or does it use the SMART data to read it?

after 2 hours of transfering files the temp is over 50deg C, after I remove the front cover it goes down to 42-45 deg C so more air flow would be better

I decided to mod it with a switch because it is much easier to do for my application with 2 speeds

so I cut the plastic out on the front cover at the bottom where it is indented a little to allow air flow (you cant see it so it looks the same) and cut the plastic off the back where the fan is because you can see it blocks air flow           the fan I have running off the 12V with a 330 ohm resistor and a 390 ohm resistor and a 3 position switch that is placed in that square hole in the back.         so have about 6.5 volts and 5 volts to run the fan.         at 6.5 volts it is sorta loud but the temp is about 2-4deg C above room temp of 22-23deg C vs. around 10-15deg C above room temp of 22-23deg C while transferring files constantly

so I just put it at 5V for normal use and 6.5V for transferring large files or transferring files for a long time

I would like to remove the switch and use another method if anyone knows of one      maybe with software like XBMC for the XBOX has to allow you to increase the voltage going to the fan with the modded bios         can the hacked firmware do this

#6 2008-02-05 01:12:34

frodo

If your read the link you would notice that cooler is not always better...

Google have done extensive statistics on their failed drives and they can not conclude that higher temperature makes your disks to break faster. You could possibly make an asumption that colder is worse than warmer. I.e if you go 20C or below.

Read the articel it is interesting.

#7 2008-02-05 01:40:03

leftkidney

I have read it a while ago when it came out and was talked about on Security Now and TWiT

20 deg C is about room temp so that would be OK but anything lower than say 10 deg C would be bad most likely

just keeping it close enough to room temp is best to do and as far as air cooling goes for HD's unless the air is really cold the cooler the better until you get so cold you create moisture or what ever that is bad fir sure

but the point of this topic was to determine the best course of action for running that fan at full speed all the time regardless of what the temp is, so lets stay on topic.  I am aware of drive failure and about Google's report but this is about cooling the drives to prevent this from happening due to overheating.  For other types of drive failure I run SpinRite to avoid that as much as possible     very unlikely Google used SpinRite because, why it takes less time to replace the drive and Google ir rich so time is money

all in all I want the DNS to run cooler so what is the best method for doing so?

#8 2008-02-05 10:45:20

frodo

Sure but to me looking at this large statistics I would not be so conclusive that it is better to run at 20C.

Anyway I will not talk more about this. Good luck with your mod. I am happy with 40-50C.

Board footer