DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-01-30 14:22:30

ondro727

Still dissapointed... Any new FW timeframe?

After months of usage I am still dissapointed with DNS323. Performance is nice, that's ok, but the featues... Well, if you buy NAS for RAID1 feature and the feature doesn't work (from lame user view - someone who doesnt want to run telnet, but only use available factory options), you are short of luck. Maybe I am still in bad mood for loosing >200GB of data due to EXT3 problems, but anyway - European users are STILL on the firmware which offers this corruted implementation. This is simply NOT acceptable sad If the product has such flaws as RAID1 automatic rebuild not working, EXT3 filesystem which dastroys partitions and these flaws are left unresolved (for me in EU) for MONTHS, than there is something fundamentaly WRONG.

The other thing is that altought the unit is supposed to be quiet and with power management, it is not so quiet and without the option to turn off the fan (or slow it down at least), it is not very usable at home, if you like it quiet at night...

So, is any of you aware when the new FW is to be released? Or at least when FW 1.02 is available in EU? All I can get from D-Link support is "We are aware of the problems and we are working on new FW". Nothing more. If I compare it to the frequency of FW updates from Thecus (I use N5200 from Thecus in my work), D-Link is definitely treating its customers in a strange way...

#2 2007-01-30 20:18:32

kimhav
Website

Re: Still dissapointed... Any new FW timeframe?

Well, I've asked Swedish D-Link about status regarding new FW and the answer was that they are expecting an update very soon. My suggestion is that for thoose of you that haven't yet posted problem description at D-Links support portal, please do so. Here is the url:

http://service.dlink.biz/solution/sslogin.asp

Oh, to be mentioned is that above works only with IE and not that well with or at all with FF.

Kim Haverblad
Klagshamn, Sweden
http://kim.haverblad.se

#3 2007-01-30 22:18:38

ondro727

In fact, I DID contact D-Link support. Twice. First time they pointed me to some Polish (?, no offence, but why Polish?) company, which is their "support partner" (I wonder if they make FW for D-Link... haha) - it took >2 weeks just to get this reply (1 sentence). Second time the answer was "we are aware of the problems, stay tuned". This was all more than month ago. So much for the support...

My fault was that I didn't keep backup of my data elsewhere (I was a fool to think that RAID1 NAS would solve backups), and since first few days DNS323 ran fine, I used other backup drive elsewhere... After that the disaster with EXT3 filestystem happened (as it happened to many others) and I lost all content of the drives (>250GB). Data rescue company was able to save less than 15%... Imagine how happy I was with this purchase. Things like this happens, I know, but with less than none reaction from D-Link in over a MONTH period, it is much more than accident. That's my point.

I see many people here are happy with this product. If they didn't use EXT3. Or if one of their drives in RAID1 didn't collapse. But the important question is what happens THEN. I guess vast majority buy NAS product not for short term storage, but for backup or for storing the data, which should last. Well then, what is the safety of DNS323? Even if people here are far more educated in this area (NAS, Linux, etc.), what would a regular man do, if he gets into trouble with DNS323? That's why I call it "immature and rushed product", to be kind.

Anyway, thanks for the hope, that EU version of new FW is on the horizon. Hoperfuly it will solve at least some of the major issues.

#4 2007-01-30 22:21:53

KRH
Website

put in the damm us fw its the damm same hw, dlink eu are just slow to approve the new fw as its label beta some where in thery systems..

First user to fun_plug the dns-323.

#5 2007-01-30 22:34:01

ondro727

KRH wrote:

put in the damm us fw its the damm same hw, dlink eu are just slow to approve the new fw as its label beta some where in thery systems..

...which would void damn warrant big_smile I use beta FW in Thecus NAS, since they don't have such restriction. Yet still, 1.02 (US or non US, doesnt matter) doesn't solve damn problem with damn RAID1 auto rebuild on DNS323.

Regarding warranty... I'd break it anyway, since the fan can't be set to spin down, I think of replacing it with temperature (HW) controlled fan. We shall see if fan-speed option is there in new FW. Otherwise my tools are ready to take off the protective piece of plastic in front of the fan, which causes most of the buzzing found (my guess, the same principle with fans, everywhere).

#6 2007-01-30 22:35:47

KRH
Website

dlink can not se that you have puttet other fw on the unit if its dies

First user to fun_plug the dns-323.

#7 2007-01-30 22:43:36

sala
Member / Site Admin
Website

And if it is not dead you can flash back to EU firmware before returning it.

DSM-G600 - NetBSD hdd-boot - 80GB Samsung SP0802N
NSA-220 - Gentoo armv5tel 20110121 hdd-boot - 2x 2TB WD WD20EADS

Board footer