DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-02-06 21:12:15

jeff777

Files not appearing on Volume_1 after 3-4 days uptime

Hi.  I've had an issue with my DNS-323 in which after the device has been up for approximately 3-4 days, if I take a look at the contents of Volume_1 (via FTP or Windows share), nothing appears in there.  It shows up empty.  I then have to restart the device for the content to appear again.

I'm using a FUN_PLUG file to run Telnet, TwonkyMedia, and Debian Chroot which periodically runs Podget as a scheduled cron job to download podcasts.  I have the same symptoms with this setup when running both 1.03 and 1.04 firmware, so I doubt that the firmware is related to the issue.

Here is my FUN_PLUG file:

/mnt/HD_a2/starttelnet.sh

/mnt/HD_a2/starttwonky.sh

# Debian chroot

/mnt/HD_a2/lnx_bin/busybox3 chroot /mnt/HD_a2/etch ./linuxrc

The last line executes the following LINUXRC script for Debian Chroot (its setup located in /mnt/HD_a2/etch):

#!/bin/sh

#SYSLOG
/etc/init.d/sysklogd start
/etc/init.d/klogd start

# Makedev
/etc/init.d/makedev start

# PTYs
cd /dev
MAKEDEV ptyp

# NFS (You need to have portmap and nfs-user-server installed)
/etc/init.d/portmap start
/etc/init.d/nfs-user-server start

# CRON
/etc/init.d/cron start

# Remove no login (For etch you need to add "start" at the end of the line)
/etc/init.d/rmnologin start

#SSH (You need to have openssh-server installed)
/etc/init.d/ssh start >/var/log/ssh.log 2>&1

# STOP BOOTLOG (For etch you need to add "start" at the end of the line)
/etc/init.d/stop-bootlogd start

One other thing which I don't know if it may be related to this.  Before I setup Debian Chroot on my DNS-323 when I was running firmware rev 1.03, I was just running Telnet and TwonkyMedia.  In that setup, after approximately the same timeframe (almost a week uptime on the DNS-323 without a restart), I could access the device's FTP server as well as the TwonkyMedia server via http port 9000, but if I tried to access its normal web page (part of firmware rev 1.03), it would timeout and never bring up the web page.  I would have to restart the DNS-323 to fix it.  I don't know if this may be related to the above issue, but I thought I should mention it just in case.

Any assistance to the above problem would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Jeff

#2 2008-02-19 22:00:58

jeff777

Re: Files not appearing on Volume_1 after 3-4 days uptime

I think I finally narrowed down the problems I've been having with the contents of Volume_1 missing on my DNS-323.  I'm not sure if anyone else has seen similiar to this, but I thought this would be worth posting.

I had configured fun_plug on Volume_1 of my DNS-323 to run telnet, TwonkyMedia, and Debian Etch.  Within Debian Etch, I included a scheduled cron job in etc/crontab to periodically run podget (an application to download podcasts).  Through this setup, at anytime within a couple of days after booting up the DNS-323 (sometimes within hours), the content of Volume_1 would disappear, and I would have to reboot the DNS-323 to fix it.  So within the DNS-323 setup, I turned on the option to send an e-mail notification in case of a failed hard drive.  Whenever Volume_1 would fail, an e-mail would get sent regarding this (thus explaining why the content of Volume_1 would disappear).

This hard drive failure would only happen if Debian Etch was running on the hard drive.  I had been using the precompiled Debian Etch from the Wiki site, so instead of continuing to use this version of Etch, I did the cdebootstrap method within Ubuntu Dapper of creating a new Debian Etch package, then I transferred it to Volume_1 and configured it on there.  Afterward, same hard drive failure problem.  So I created a Debian Sarge package, then transferred it over and configured it.  Same hard drive failure.  This was very frustrating.

I knew the hard drive worked because I had been using it regularly before I attempted to use Debian Etch or Sarge on it.  But I decided to try something different this time.  Going back to the Debian Etch setup, I moved its folder to Volume_2 and configured fun_plug to run Debian Etch on Volume_2 instead of Volume_1 (still running telnet and TwonkyMedia on Volume_1).  The end result:  no hard drive failures at all.

Volume_1 on my DNS-323 is a Hitachi Deskstar 250GB hard drive.  Volume_2 is a Seagate Barracuda 1TB hard drive.  I'm guessing that whenever Debian was running on the Hitachi Deskstar 250GB hard drive, there may have been a conflict between the power management of this hard drive and the running processes of Debian which probably resulted in the hard drive failure (power management is enabled within the DNS-323 setup).  If I chose to disable power management on the DNS-323, my guess is that the hard drive failure wouldn't happen when running Debian on the Hitachi drive, but I didn't want to compromise power management.

In any event, if I run Debian on my Seagate drive instead of that Hitachi drive, it works great (no hard drive failures on either drive).

Jeff

Board footer