DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-03-09 13:31:53

zeromaint

Newbie Post: Risk vs. Benefit

I just ordered my DNS-323 from Amazon and I have two 750GB 7200RPM Seagate Perpendicular Drives on the way.
Preferably running RAID 1 since to lose 750gb would be a lot of heart ache and pain (1.5TB does sound nice, 1/2 tempted)
The current PC I'm running is a 2.16 GHz MacBook Pro with Tiger.

I googled the DNS-323 and came across this site.  I am somewhat familiar with some UNIX commands but not a pro by any means.

I read that the box can be greatly improved with the "fun plug" hack, but I'm concerned about bricking the unit or somehow decreasing functionality by screwing it up.

So what kind of improvements can I make with fun plug and as a suggestion possible to outline the steps I need to take to make it work?

#2 2008-03-09 14:12:43

oxygen
Website

Re: Newbie Post: Risk vs. Benefit

You can use both RAID0 and RAID1 with the fun_plug. Lets say you choose a 500 GB RAID1 Partition. Then the rest (2x 250 GB) forms a 500 GB JBOD partition. That's probably ok. But i you prefer RAID0 for the 2. Volume you can format it using telnet like this:

Code:

umount /dev/md1
raidstop /dev/md1
mdadm --create --verbose /dev/md1 --level=0 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sda3 /dev/sdb3

and the following raidtab:

Code:

raiddev /dev/md0
        raid-level      raid1
        nr-raid-disks   2
        chunk-size      64
        persistent-superblock   1
        device          /dev/sda2
        raid-disk       0
        device          /dev/sdb2
        raid-disk       1

raiddev /dev/md1
        raid-level      0
        nr-raid-disks   2
        chunk-size      64
        persistent-superblock   1
        device          /dev/sda3
        raid-disk       0
        device          /dev/sdb3
        raid-disk       1
        Version 1.3

which needs to be copied to the flash at /dev/mtdblock0 and /dev/mtdblock1.

Last edited by oxygen (2008-03-09 14:14:03)

#3 2008-03-09 22:41:09

jotka

zeromaint wrote:

I'm concerned about bricking the unit or somehow decreasing functionality by screwing it up.

Don't be. You can always reformat the drive or delete funplug to get back to normal. There is no need to flash anything, so you will not brick it.

#4 2008-03-10 23:22:15

mealto

zeromaint, Raid is for hardware failure redundancy. If you are simply backing up data from yoru Mac to the DNS-323, then I would suggest not using Raid. Main reason being, Raid ties you to the the size of the Array and in the future when bigger and faster drives become available, you will still be stuck with the current Raid array (size).

If you are only using the 323 for backup purposes, I would use Standard formatting for your harddrives and use some sort of backup software to mirror the drives.

And if you use the 323 as a file server where you write to it in real time for your files, then you still need a separate place to backup that data. When you run Raid 1, you cannot use 1 drive to do real time writes and 1 to hold backups.

This is from my own experience of trying to find the best solution for my own backup setup.

Board footer