DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-03-13 13:06:43

jules

My DNS needs a media player.

Hi all, i' m searching for a cool tv media player with wifi, good software(nice interface,upnp/smb/nfs) and with an hackability comparable to the one the dns-323 has (so, a busybox or linux based system extensible through some mechanism like the funplug or using provided gpl source to compile a new firmware).
While around the net there are plenty of communities that try to improve the capabilities of boxes like the DNS,nlsu2,kuro,etc... i haven't found anything like these regarding media players.
The conceptronic c54wmp, a mipsel based box, seems a good choice, the gpl sources are available (even if not well documented) and the price is ok. But the box's software is not good as the one provided by other boxes (ie. popcorn hour) and i'm not sure that it can be improved easily...
Have you got a mediaplayer? Which one?

CH3SNAS - Black Box Ed. • FW:1.03b6a • 2 x WD5000AAKS

#2 2008-03-13 13:13:00

HaydnH

Re: My DNS needs a media player.

I use a PS3. I mainly baught it for a media player but it has the benefits of being a blu-ray player and a games console for a relatively small price. Personally I'm happy with standard PS3 media player, however you can run linux on the PS3 as well (Sony even provide you with an "install other os" function so no hacking needed) so it's pretty much as hackable as linux...

#3 2008-03-13 22:14:16

kaymm2

XBMC (xbox media center) with an old xbox.  The best media player there is!  Fully hackable if you love hacking stuff.  I have 3 xboxes loaded with XBMC and they all connect to my new DNS-323 and it's awesome. 

I can stream videos and music from the DNS, also watch Youtube and Apple Trailers as well.  Plus the XBox can play games.  PSX, NES, SNES, arcade games, etc.  My GF uses it for karaoking.  Everything in a box. 

Also my local EB/Gamestop was selling the xbox for $39.  Awesome price.  I have 500GB inside the xbox for games and apps but also have another 500GB on the DNS to stream from.  check it out

#4 2008-03-14 15:15:11

roffers

I bought myself a popcorn hour http://www.popcornhour.com for exactly this purpose and I'm absolutely delighted with it. Regular firmware updates  and it upscales perfectly  - good for 480p upwards and pretty much any format you'll throw at it. Absolutely silent (unless you put a noisy HD in it) and very small. The only problem is the waiting list is pretty long, it took me just shy 3 months from registration to delivery.

It's not so good for audio though - yet. Firmware updates will solve this in the future I'm sure.

Board footer