DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-03-25 23:58:12

ojve

A load of question about chrooted Debian

Hi all!

I've been asking a lot of stpud questions on this forums for a while now:) I've decided that running a chrooted Debian was the way to go for me, to get everything the way I want. Please bear with me because I am quite new at this linux/unix-business...

Everything went fine with the installation. I just have som issues. I'm sure they are common probably quite easily resolved, but they don't seem to apply to my system straight off the shelf and I can't really modify what is described in the how-to since I'm not really sure what I'm doing.

1. what happens to all the mounted directories when I
- reboot?
- exit the chrooted Debian?

2. when I do a find in the chrooted root directory, I get
"find: Filesystem loop detected; `./mnt/HD_a2/etch' has the same device number and inode as a directory which is 3 levels higher in the filesystem hierarchy."

This looks like a big no-no to me. Is there any way to fix it?

3. How the environment is handled when doing chroot is a mystery to me.

- why must i use "env -i TERM=vt102 USER=root $SBINDIR/chroot /mnt/HD_a2/etch /bin/bash -ls" instead of just doing the same thing as in the fun_plug script?

- If I do it the ebove way, shouldn't I end up with an empty environment except for TERM and USER? because I don't...

- why exactly do I get "sh: /mnt/HD_a2/fun_plug.d/bin/less: No such file or directory", even if I add that directory(without "less") to PATH when "inside" Debian?

- what does "etch /> export PATH" mean? If "etch />" is the prompt and I just type "export PATH" I end up with an empty PATH...

- why is the environment reset everytime I enter and exit the chroot?

4. How do I change what the prompt says? Right now it says disk, which I have no idea where it comes from(I know it's what it's called in the how-to, but I'm pretty sure I used the ip)?

5. when I try to start an pure-ftpd from inside the chroot, nothing happens. netstat shows that the port is open but it doesn't respond. It doesn't show up among the processes(using ps) inside the chroot, but if I exit, it's there, still not responding to connections.

Any help is appreciated.

//T

Board footer