DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#76 2008-03-28 18:17:36

timofej

Re: RFC (ATTN FONZ): ipkg & dns-323 file structure

fonz wrote:

HaydnH wrote:

those who have never touched Linux and would prefer to have an easy web based installer and have no need for telnet (and therefore busybox),

There're quite a few of those on this forum. And with a little help, they had great success installing my funplug. Some asked for additional packages, sure, but nobody complained about not having a graphical installer.

I think you underestimate the need of an easy installer. It's true that not so many people ask for it because most of the "regular" people running windows are scared away when they face forums filled with unix code.

I was about to be one of them but I stayed because I wanted the modifications so badly that I was ready to spend my time in order to figure out how to make the things work. It has already taken many hours of my life and it seems to take much more in future.

Thus, if the purpose of this forum is propagate for unix (and discuss unix with other enlightened) everything can stay as it is. Those who are really interested will stay and learn something.

However if the purpose is to help people modify their DNS and broad its features an installer would lower the threshold for many many users.

I want also to thank all you people who work with the scripts for doing this and for helping us unix-illiterate to makes the things work.

#77 2008-03-29 14:51:04

pwvandeursen

I completely agree with your statement. even though I have been able to install multiple packages through the help of this forum (thanks all) a graphical installer will greatly assist those of us that are daunted by the command line code (and much of us are...).

thanks for helping us out nevertheless.

#78 2008-03-30 16:57:01

fonz
Member / Developer
Website

sjmac wrote:

I'll look out for the anonymous CVSROOT when you post it ...

Code:

svn co svn://inreto.de/svn/dns323/funplug/trunk funplug

#79 2008-04-01 23:29:22

sjmac

Thanks, I just checked it out to my dev box. Browsing svn history is fun, like being a spy ;-)

Sorry to get stuck on the simple stuff -- please point me at the right READMEs if I missed them ...

Is it designed to check out and build on the DNS323, or use a cross compiler tool chain?

Which script builds the current fun_plug distro?

Can you give example commands to build just one of the packages? Say, openssh-sftp.

Why don't you include the full openssh set of tools?

Thanks again for your time,
Steven

Last edited by sjmac (2008-04-01 23:29:40)

#80 2008-04-02 01:05:54

fonz
Member / Developer
Website

That's a lot of questions.

sjmac wrote:

Sorry to get stuck on the simple stuff -- please point me at the right READMEs if I missed them ...

There's only one (short) README so far in the sources directory.

sjmac wrote:

Is it designed to check out and build on the DNS323, or use a cross compiler tool chain?

It's all to be run natively on the dns323. The whole 0.5 funplug is compiled natively. I've added subversion packages Wednesday, so you can also do the checkout directly on the dns.

sjmac wrote:

Which script builds the current fun_plug distro?

There's no single script to rebuild everything. I had such scripts with earlier version, but it would take awfully long, now (a lot more packages, a much slower machine).

sjmac wrote:

Can you give example commands to build just one of the packages? Say, openssh-sftp.

Example:

Code:

cd /mnt/HD_a2/home
svn co svn://inreto.de/svn/dns323/funplug/trunk funplug
cd funplug/source
./Make.sh -F openssh-sftp
./Make.sh openssh-sftp

"Make.sh -F" will download the source files, second Make.sh will build the package and store it in funplug/packages/. You can see the build log (important to find the error if the build doesn't end with 'OK') in funplug/build-logs/.

sjmac wrote:

Why don't you include the full openssh set of tools?

Good question. I should add this.

Board footer