DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-01-11 21:54:03

Apskaft

Printer issue, got your working?

Hi,

I've just installed my DNS-323 and have access to the discs and was about to test the printing capabilities of the unit. I'm still on 1.01 firmware since I don't want to void warranty (yet) and connot get printing to work. The DNS-323 dicovers the printer and shows status of them, but I cannot print. I've tested both to connect to the printer using IP of the unit and 'name' with the same result.

I've tested two printers with the same result. One is a HP LaserJet 1020 and the other is an Epson Stylus Photo 890.

Now I'm curious - have someone out there got printing to work in 1.01? Did you have to do anything special to get it working? Someone having succeded with the above mentioned printers in 1.01 or 1.02? Which printer did you use?

If I want to debug this using the funplug and telnet, any suggestions what to look for?

BR,
/Apan
fyi: I've issued a trouble ticket to D-Link as well.

#2 2007-01-11 23:31:31

LifeTap

Re: Printer issue, got your working?

I found that mapping to it as a network printer, \\DNS-323\lp was very slow and hung my system often when checking printer properties or printing.

I was able to correct that by mapping to the printer a little differently. 

I went to add a printer, add a local printer, uncheck detect plug and play.
Add a local port, put in \\DNS-323 name or ip\lp  (ie for me  \\192.168.1.100\lp)
Select the correct printer driver and you should be good to go.

This fixed and issues I had with mapping to it as a network printer.

#3 2007-01-12 10:51:17

Apskaft

LifeTap wrote:

Thanks, I'll try that when I get home.

May I ask which printer you're using? After some googling I've found information that the printer I have (HP LaserJet 1020) is a GDI printer and I find it hard to belive that I will ever get it to work after reading this - unless I do some serious hacking.

But; I must confess that I think that what you suggest may be a proper workaround as this method will (most likely) download the firmware to the printer, which I suppose don't happen when connected as network printer.

#4 2007-01-12 16:04:34

Apskaft

Apskaft wrote:

Thanks, I'll try that when I get home.

Didn't work for me. In the last step I get an error "Cannot install printer. Printing processor not available" or something similar. Guess it has something to do with the GDI part. Tested both on W2K and XP, the error above only occurs on W2K but XP is slient and nothing happens on the printer.

Thanks anyway - next step is try to add a hotplug which downloads the firmware of the printer.

/Apan

Last edited by Apskaft (2007-01-12 16:12:41)

#5 2007-01-13 00:40:10

LifeTap

Wow, I never would have even thought about issues like that.  I almost bought a HP 1020.  I ended up with a brother HL-5240.  It seems to work very well.  I have an epson stylus photo 870 that I have not tried yet.  Anyone know if I put a usb hub on the dlink if I could print to two printers?

#6 2007-01-22 13:46:37

Apskaft

For this issue, I've submitted a quite extensive troubeticket, including the following statement: "I've followed the instructions in the manual...".

The (complete) response from D-Link was: "Did you follow the instructions in the manual?"

Embarrasing, and now I know for a sure that this little piggy won't fly....

#7 2007-02-09 22:00:22

Ethereal_Dragon

I have an HP PSC-2710 ( or somthing similar) and it will not work with the DNS-323 due to lack of support of network drivers on the PRINTER side... can't find a SINGLE driver that the DNS will recognize. I can SEE it show up as a printer on the network, but thats about it.

Gaming Rig: ASUS Z87-PRO (V EDITION), Intel Core i5-4590 Haswell, HyperX FURY 8GB DDR3 1866,
XFX Radeon HD 4870, SILVERSTONE DA700, Samsung 840 500Gig SSD MZ-7TD500BW, 3x WD20EARS 2 TB Green,
ASUS DRW-2014L1T (DVD), LG WH14NS40 (Blu Ray), Dell 2709W, Sony SDM-HS95P, Windows 10 Pro
The NAS Box: D-Link DNS-323, 0.1RC3 Alt-F firmware, 2x 7200.14 ST3000DM001 3TB EXT4 - NO RAID - 6 TB

#8 2007-02-27 18:47:08

xyrtrax

Thanks LifeTap, your solution worked for us smile Was really slow checking properties and printing preferences before we did this. A minor caveat is that the print queue window has to be open for it to actually print, otherwise, nothing seems to happen.

#9 2007-03-11 05:20:54

phoenix

Printing works here, using a Samsung ML-1210 b/w laser, a smallish GDI (!) model with 8mb RAM.

Simply double clicked on "lp" in the explorer and used the Samsung driver instead of the Microsoft built-in one. The Microsoft driver was slowing down my computer while clicking around in the printer property dialogs, but the Samsung driver does not. The MS driver did nothing, the Samsung driver printed without a hitch on the first try.

#10 2007-07-28 13:49:35

valyno

LifeTap wrote:

I found that mapping to it as a network printer, \\DNS-323\lp was very slow and hung my system often when checking printer properties or printing.

Add a local port, put in \\DNS-323 name or ip\lp  (ie for me  \\192.168.1.100\lp)

Man, I love you !

My prnter works swiftly now !!!

need ton set-up the printer with my Macbook now...

#11 2007-07-29 03:40:48

zzmanlh

Hi valyno,

I have succesfully tried (PC) printing using the DNS-323 but failed on my Macbook. What happened to your Macbook? Printing using the DNS-323 as a print server for my Macbook has been my problem since...forever smile How did you do it? Please advise

Last edited by zzmanlh (2007-07-29 03:43:38)

#12 2007-07-29 12:23:57

valyno

Hi ZZ,

Unfortunatey, I cannot print with my Macbook.

I tried the trick reported in another thread where you had to access to the advanced menu in order to add a printer accessible through Samba. The problem is that my printer, HP Photosmart C3100, is not in the list of the HP printers proposed by the system.
So I tried the Generic one, but it doesn't work. No printing at all...
I also tried to select the print-gimp driver for the HP 1100, but no more success.
The best result I had was to print a bunch of characters over 3 or 4 pages...

I am at loos with this printer. The funny thing is that when I plug the printer directly to the Macbook, everythng is working properly, after of course having installed the driver ( I bought  the printer from the Apple Store, when I bought the Apple Care...).

Next time, I will check that the printer can use the AppleTalk thing...

So to summarize, the printer was recognized by my Ubuntu station in 3 clicks and was printing normally, with windows I had yo use that speed trick and with the Mac, nothing is working... It is not supposed to be the other way?????

#13 2007-07-29 15:29:11

zzmanlh

Hi Valyno,

Thanks for your reply, I tried sending this problem to d-link and they replied to me promptly with another problem smile

"If the steps I gave do not help at all I would like for you to call Macintosh help centre. We now know that the print server is compatible with the PC’s, there should be no reason why it does not communicate with MAC systems. I am sorry however we only offer limited support for MAC systems and cannot suggest any further tract of support besides contacting the manufacturer of the OS."

I guess we just have to find another way. I will keep you posted. Thanks

#14 2007-08-05 02:09:26

Homer007

LifeTap wrote:

I was able to do this successfully on 2 of my 3 networked computers.  My 3rd Windows XP Professional continue's to give me the error below whenever I try to add the port manually:

"Specified port cannot be added.  Operation could not be completed."

A google search shows that it could be a problem with the spooler's interaction with the desktop but everything is set correctly.  I have even completely reimaged the problem machine only to have the same error.  Has anyone ever seen this before or have any suggestions?

#15 2007-09-27 20:01:22

Least

LifeTap wrote:

perfect! the slow network printing was annoying to say the least. now its zippy..!
cheers

#16 2007-10-28 19:21:40

EngineerJoe

I've been having problems setting up network print support on my DNS-323. Just for clarity, I named my DNS-323 "Toaster", and I gave it a static IP of 192.168.1.100 and I have upgraded the firmware to 1.03. The printer I am trying to add is a Samsung CLP-300. Throughout the entire process, if I go to "Network Places" I can see a shared file for the DNS-323 "web_page on DNS-323 (Toaster)", and if I go to "view workgroup computers", I can see the "DNS-323 (Toaster)" and I can open it up with no problem.

If I open up IE and type in "\\toaster\lp" I am asked to install a print driver and it installs fine. If I go to "lp on toaster", sharing is not enabled (I've tried this with and without it enabled and it still doesnt' work), and in "Properties" under the general tab, there is no location written down. I add the location \\toaster\lp and I still can't print to this printer.

If I go to "Printers and Faxes" and try to add a printer port, click "File" and then "Server Properties", and then click on the "Ports" tab, I do one of three things

[1] when I try to add a TCP/IP printer and click "new port", regardless of what I type, I get "The device could not be identified" and under "Generic" there is no Samsung printer drivers

[2] when I try to add a local printer and enter the port name as \\toaster\lp it says "The network path was not found", (yet if I immediatly run "\\toaster\lp" I am connected to the network printer)

[3] when I try to add a local printer and enter the port name as "\\192.168.1.100\lp" it gives me the same problem (again, if I run "\\192.168.1.100\lp" I am connected to the network printer)

All my firewalls have been disabled, and if I go to the DNS-323's web interface and look at the "Status" tab, it recognizes my printer "Samsung CLP-300 Series" I'm hoping to find answers here before spending another 2+ hours on the phone with D-Link Tech support

Thoughts?

#17 2007-10-28 21:03:15

fordem

Start by installing the printer on your computer and then edit the properties - change the port to point to the DNS-323

#18 2007-10-30 05:24:30

EngineerJoe

I wish is was that simple... the "change the port to point to the DNS-323" is the part I'm having difficulty with. I can't add a "//toaster/lp" local port, it says "The network path was not found" despite being able to load it up in a browser, and adding a TCP/IP port of "192.168.1.100" does nothing.

#19 2007-10-30 13:46:13

fordem

Are you using front slash or back slash?

#20 2007-10-30 22:17:15

EngineerJoe

Oops, I typed "//" in the post, but "\\toaster\lp" when adding the port.... nothing. Just to make sure, I tried both and neither work

#21 2008-04-09 21:40:13

Music4Film

EngineerJoe wrote:

I've been having problems setting up network print support on my DNS-323. Just for clarity, I named my DNS-323 "Toaster", and I gave it a static IP of 192.168.1.100 and I have upgraded the firmware to 1.03. The printer I am trying to add is a Samsung CLP-300. Throughout the entire process, if I go to "Network Places" I can see a shared file for the DNS-323 "web_page on DNS-323 (Toaster)", and if I go to "view workgroup computers", I can see the "DNS-323 (Toaster)" and I can open it up with no problem.

If I open up IE and type in "\\toaster\lp" I am asked to install a print driver and it installs fine. If I go to "lp on toaster", sharing is not enabled (I've tried this with and without it enabled and it still doesnt' work), and in "Properties" under the general tab, there is no location written down. I add the location \\toaster\lp and I still can't print to this printer.

If I go to "Printers and Faxes" and try to add a printer port, click "File" and then "Server Properties", and then click on the "Ports" tab, I do one of three things

[1] when I try to add a TCP/IP printer and click "new port", regardless of what I type, I get "The device could not be identified" and under "Generic" there is no Samsung printer drivers

[2] when I try to add a local printer and enter the port name as \\toaster\lp it says "The network path was not found", (yet if I immediatly run "\\toaster\lp" I am connected to the network printer)

[3] when I try to add a local printer and enter the port name as "\\192.168.1.100\lp" it gives me the same problem (again, if I run "\\192.168.1.100\lp" I am connected to the network printer)

All my firewalls have been disabled, and if I go to the DNS-323's web interface and look at the "Status" tab, it recognizes my printer "Samsung CLP-300 Series" I'm hoping to find answers here before spending another 2+ hours on the phone with D-Link Tech support

Thoughts?

I was having the same problems...until last night.   So...I am posting my solution here so others can benefit. 

In my formatting of the hard drives on the DNS-323, there must be a bug or something...because there should be a hidden folder (for the print queue) on the inserted formatted hard drive of the DNS-323 that is named:

.lpd

The dot makes it invisible of course.   I could see the printer on the network...and add it in Windows XP per the D-link manual...but when I would sent a page to print...it would not print.  The reason?  The queue folder of .lpd was for some reason no longer present.  So...on my MAC machine (of all things), I enabled the ability to see hidden files, browsed over the network to the DNS-323, saw that there was no folder with the name .lpd, then I simply created a folder on the DNS-323 and gave it the name .lpd .

Now, when I print to the DNS-323 from my windows machine...it all works beautifully.  And on my MAC running OSX 10.4.11, I used the printer setup utility to add a network printer, held the option key while clicking on the "more printers" options at the bottom of the setup utility...then selected advanced on the top drop down menu...then on the second drop down menu selected "Windows SMB printer"...then entered the address 'smb://192.168.x.x/lp'  (where the x's are the completion of the IP address for the DNS-323)...then selected the proper printer driver in the last drop down list, in my case the HP LaserJet 1200...and voila...instant network printing from my MAC...and my windows XP machine to the DNS-323. 

The problem for most (ouside of the older printers that need their firmware like mentioned in other threads here)...is that the folder called .lpd that rests on the root hard drive of Volume-1 for your DNS-323 seems to either be deleted when re-formatting the drive or not added at all.  So...thus there is no place for the print queue to be located.  And pages sent to the DNS-323 to be printed are just lost in the abyss.

D-link really needs to fix this and provide much better documentation and troubleshooting tips for the print server feature of the DNS-323.  It is almost as if the guys who were doing the print server section of the development got fired after their initial completion of their work and no one else on the DNS-323 team knows how to continue their work...so it sits there kind of half implemented and poorly documented...and the rest of the print server guys at D-link don't like the DNS-323 team so no one is willing to throw them a bone. 

ugh!

Last edited by Music4Film (2008-04-09 21:43:58)

Board footer