DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-05-04 10:16:10

hastings69

DNS won't start after power failure

Hi All,
(Very newb question)
Hope this is an easy post to answer.
Just had a power failure and now it is back on (internal power trip swicth activated within the house).

The DNS obviously went off, but now it is lifeless and won't turn back on via the front power button.

The unit is connected to power now, I have checked! I am writing this post as proof!

I guess I next try the reset button at the back? But what does that do to my settings and data? what about fun_plug?

Hope I haven't stuffed it by turning on a heater..........

I tried searching this forum and google for these answers without much luck.
TIA

#2 2008-05-04 15:49:23

fordem

Re: DNS won't start after power failure

Actually since you're not writing this using the DNS-323 - then this post proves nothing - for all I know you don't even own one.

But - I digress - first I would start by checking the external power pack, if you have a multi-tester to do it with, or take it to someone who can - the problem may lie there, or it may lie in the DNS-323 itself - either way, it's doubtful that the reset switch would do anything, but, it's certainly worth trying - you have literally nothing left to lose - you can pull the drives out before you reset it, if that will make you feel any safer.

If it works it will reset your admin password, your ip address (if static), your RAID configuration, and possibly users & groups - it will not affect the data on the drives (as long as they are in a RAID0 or JBOD configuration) and if fun_plug was installed, it should still be there.

#3 2008-06-11 16:52:44

moquilok

We had a power outage at my house yesterday due to bad weather.  Now with the power back on, my dns-323 won't power on.  It was plugged into the same surge protector as other hardware (PC, router), but they didn't experience any problems.

#4 2008-06-11 17:38:10

fordem

As stated earlier - you may have a defective power pack or a defective DNS-323 or both - power outages would not normally cause hardware damage, but it can happen.

One comment - I note you mention it being plugged into the same surge protector as your other gear, which did not sustain damage - that's life - it can happen, now - did you by any chance have anything connected to the USB port?  Perhaps a printer that might not have been connected to the same power source as the rest of your gear?

#5 2008-06-11 19:35:40

moquilok

I didn't have anything connected to the USB port.  I understand that these things happen, but it still sucks nevertheless.  Don't get me wrong, I like the dns-323, and I'll be getting a replacement for it soon.

#6 2008-06-12 20:06:47

moquilok

It turned out that the power pack was what was defective.  I replaced that and all is working now.

#7 2008-06-13 16:31:56

fourthirtysix

moquilok, thanks for following up on your solution.  My assumption would have been that the entire DNS-323 was bad.  This just goes to show, as they say, to be thorough in performing testing.

Board footer