DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-05-18 19:56:57

mihar

Weird problem with Jumbo Frames on the 323 and Realtek based NIC...

As soon as i saw that 1.05 was available and included jumbo frames support, i updated my 323... However, things have not been as rosy as i would expect...

My home network is on a full gigabit set up with cat 6 cables all around... 2 of my desktops are are using Realtek model 8139 gigabit NIC which supports up to 7k jumbo frames... They're connected to a Dlink DGL-4300 router and the 323 is on the same network... Funny thing is, when i enable jumbo frames on my Desktop NIC, the 323 refuses to respond...Thinking that i might have to enable, jumbo frames on the 323 first, i disabled the jumbo frames on my desktops, went into the config of the 323, enabled jumbo frames at 7K and then logged out... After reenabling jumbo frames on my NIC, the 323 still refuses to respond... I can't access the config page, or any of the disks... It doesn't even ping... Access to the internet from my PC is still working so my router is definitely not dropping the packets with jumbo frames turned on...

Disabling the jumbo frames on my NIC would solve the problem but then, jumbo frames can significantly increase network performance and that's something i don't want to miss out on...

My only conclusion is that Realtek's implementation of jumbo frames is not compatible with Dlink's hence causing the 323 to not respond... I've tried messing with the settings on the NIC but no dice... The fact that jumbo frames is turned on causes the 323 to not respond irregardless of whether jumbo frames on the 323 side is enabled or not....

I'm thinking of getting Dlink's Gigabit NIC to replace the Realtek NIC's i'm using now but those cost like double what i paid for the Realteks and up to now, the Realteks have been working fine... Except for the jumbo frame issue....

I'm open to suggestions on how i should go about solving this problem... Thanks!

#2 2008-05-18 20:24:48

ithrowpicks

Re: Weird problem with Jumbo Frames on the 323 and Realtek based NIC...

Not sure if you were already aware of this or not but the DGL-4300 does not support jumbo frames...

DNS 323 with FW 1.08 : FFP 0.5 : RAID 0 : 2 x Western Digital Caviar GP WD7500AACS 750GB

#3 2008-05-18 20:34:56

mihar

i know that... but like i mentioned in my post, even with jumbo frames turned on, the router is not dropping any packets... i can access the internet just fine with jumbo frames on... It's just that before the 1.05 323 came about, only my 2 desktops had jumbo frame capable NICs so i've never turned them on since i don't transfer files between them... But even with jumbo frames on, i have always been able to access the internet through the router without any problems... So i don't think it's the router that is the issue...

Also, with jumbo frames turned on, even if my router does not support jumbo frames, i can still access the router config page... on the 323, i get nothing....

Last edited by mihar (2008-05-18 20:46:08)

#4 2008-05-18 20:58:59

fordem

Google on jumbo frame and you'll soon discover that it's usage is quite controversial

Personally I have no problem accessing my DNS-323 when it is configured for jumbo frame, even when the other end does not support or is not configured for jumbo frame (Broadcom gigabit nic, Intel gigabit nic, Intel abg wireless nic)  and I think you've already figured out where your problem lies - the Realtek nic.

For what it's worth, the Realtek gigabit nics I have used have been cheap nics and the performace has been mediocre compared to my Intel nics - yes they do deliver throughput faster than 100 mbps but barely.

#5 2008-05-18 21:14:54

mihar

ithrowpicks - Yes, i can access my router page with Jumbo turned on... Always has... I've also tried changing the MTU on of the router to 7k(the max my NIC supports) but the 323 doesn't want to respond... The router is still happily routing all my packets in the network like nothing happened...

fordem - That's the conclusion i came to... I did research on jumbo frames before the 1.05 came for the 323 and yes, it was controversial... Apparently, different manufacturers had different ideas on how to implement jumbo frames and the fact that there was no standardised format made things worse... Also, you mentioned that you have broadcom and intel NICs that work fine with Jumbo and the 323... I have a laptop that has both chipsets... Broadcom for wireless and Intel for wired... I'll go try enabling jumbo on the laptop and see if that works... if it does, then truly the realteks are the problem... I dunno if it's the 1.05 firmware or not but i'm getting worse performance on my realteks than on the 1.04... i could get speeds of 150mb++ on 1.04 but it seems to have dropped to below 110mb on the 1.05... And this was before jumbo was officially supported on the 323...

#6 2008-05-19 12:25:56

mihar

Ok, here's an update to my situation...

As mentioned in my previous post, i tried to enable jumbo on my laptop since it had a broadcom chip for wireless and intel for wired... Unfortunately, both of them didn't support jumbo so i'm back to square one... crap

I need to ask a favor here from anyone who's reading this and interested in helping me... I need to know what chipset your NIC or integrated lan is using that is working fine with the 323 and jumbo frames setting... Preferably gigabit chipsets... That way,i can look around for NIC upgrades so i can finally solve this incompatibility problem with Realtek and the 323...

Pls note that i need to know the chipset model and not the manufacturer... Different manufacturers may use the same chipset... For my case, my NIC is using the Realtek 8139 family chipset even though it was manufactured by Edimax...

Or alternatively, is there anyone using a Realtek based NIC which works fine with the 323? If there are, maybe the problem is truly not with Realtek but maybe the router or other issues...

Thanks for helping! smile

#7 2008-05-19 15:57:14

coalfield

Wow, I just found out that they released a new firmware.  I am keen to play with jumbo frames as I recently bought a Prosafe gigabit switch.  With a 5m cat5e I get ~120mbps to the dns-323, hopefully jumbo frames can increase that, although I am not sure if it will work with my internet connected through a netgear 108mbps wireless router?

I will test the new firmware when I get home and enable jumbo frames, let you know how i get on.  Anyone got any ideas how much faster it can go, and also what size jumbo frame to enable?

P.S - my lappie is realtek 8111B, fingers crossed

Last edited by coalfield (2008-05-19 15:59:33)

#8 2008-05-19 16:12:10

fordem

No - jumbo frame will not work over wireless - it's gigabit only - and there are reports of as much as an additional 30% throughput.

What size jumbo frame will depend on what size your end points and path support - and the best way to determine that is trial and error - in theory you go for the largest possible frame size, but you could for example find that a 4000 bit frame size gives greater throughput than 9000.

#9 2008-05-19 16:21:35

fonz
Member / Developer
Website

fordem wrote:

No - jumbo frame will not work over wireless - it's gigabit only

I think 802.11b  supports MTUs up to around 2k (at least some Prism-based NICs did when I tried years ago). Don't know about a/g/n.

#10 2008-05-19 16:31:18

coalfield

fordem wrote:

No - jumbo frame will not work over wireless - it's gigabit only - and there are reports of as much as an additional 30% throughput.

What size jumbo frame will depend on what size your end points and path support - and the best way to determine that is trial and error - in theory you go for the largest possible frame size, but you could for example find that a 4000 bit frame size gives greater throughput than 9000.

Hi Fordem,

not 802.11b.... but close; Realtek 8111B (their gigabit LAN controller) - http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/prod … ;ProdID=11

#11 2008-05-19 16:41:37

fonz
Member / Developer
Website

802.11b is not the name of some piece of hardware, but the name of the 11 Mbit/s wireless LAN standard:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11

#12 2008-05-19 17:40:30

mihar

coalfield wrote:

fordem wrote:

Hi Fordem,

not 802.11b.... but close; Realtek 8111B (their gigabit LAN controller) - http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/prod … ;ProdID=11

Do post here if you can access the 323 once you've enabled jumbo on your Realtek controller... I'm very interested in the results... If you can access the 323, that means my problem is not my Realtek NICs but something else...

BTW, even though you state your router is wireless, it does have 4 or 5 ports for wired connection right? If yes, are those fast ethernet(100mbps) or gigabit ports?

#13 2008-05-19 17:45:39

KyleK

I have 3 Realtek Gbit Ethernet ports on my PC: 2 are based on the RTL8169/8110 chipset, the 3rd one is based on the RTL8168B/8111B.
I also own a D-Link DGS-1005D GBit switch, to which the NAS and the PC are connected.
The Gbit cards can go up to an MTU of 7k, communication works fine.
Unfortunately, the CPU load is quite high with Realtek cards, and this gets even worse when Jumbo frames are enabled. I therefore mostly leave it off.

#14 2008-05-19 17:55:41

mihar

KyleK wrote:

I have 3 Realtek Gbit Ethernet ports on my PC: 2 are based on the RTL8169/8110 chipset, the 3rd one is based on the RTL8168B/8111B.
I also own a D-Link DGS-1005D GBit switch, to which the NAS and the PC are connected.
The Gbit cards can go up to an MTU of 7k, communication works fine.
Unfortunately, the CPU load is quite high with Realtek cards, and this gets even worse when Jumbo frames are enabled. I therefore mostly leave it off.

So you've successfully accessed the 323 with jumbo turned on with the 8169? You can access the volumes and the config page?

Wow... So that means my NICs are not the problem after all... Looks like the likely culprit is the DGL-4300 router... But if the router completely doesn't support jumbo, i shouldn't be even be able to acess the internet or for that matter my other desktop with jumbo turned on... But apparently, i can and the only device that doesn't respond is the 323...

Since I have the same 1005d switch as you have so maybe if i connect the 323 to the switch instead of the router... I'll go try it out and see if that makes any difference... Thanks for your reply... You've been a real help with the info...

P.S Does the cpu load get that high? What's your system specs?

#15 2008-05-19 18:15:35

oxygen
Website

mihar wrote:

Wow... So that means my NICs are not the problem after all... Looks like the likely culprit is the DGL-4300 router... But if the router completely doesn't support jumbo, i shouldn't be even be able to acess the internet or for that matter my other desktop with jumbo turned on...

No thats wrong. In case you want to access the internet, the MTU Path Discovery safes your ass.

#16 2008-05-19 18:24:37

mihar

oxygen wrote:

mihar wrote:

Wow... So that means my NICs are not the problem after all... Looks like the likely culprit is the DGL-4300 router... But if the router completely doesn't support jumbo, i shouldn't be even be able to acess the internet or for that matter my other desktop with jumbo turned on...

No thats wrong. In case you want to access the internet, the MTU Path Discovery safes your ass.

But what about my other desktop? Within the same network, i can access my other desktop with jumbo on for both NICs. Or does the MTU Path Discovery work only for internet/WAN and not for other devices in the same network?

#17 2008-05-19 18:31:02

coalfield

fordem wrote:

BTW, even though you state your router is wireless, it does have 4 or 5 ports for wired connection right? If yes, are those fast ethernet(100mbps) or gigabit ports?

The router I have is a 4 port, and its all 10/100mbps.

To clear up the confusion with some people, I am NOT trying to connect wirelessly at gigabit with jumbo frames.  I always connect with a cate5e (RTL8168B/8111B) to my laptop, hence at gigabit speeds with my DNS-323.

i will keep you posted on the results

oxygen wrote:

mihar wrote:

Maybe that will save my ass too? But what is it?

#18 2008-05-19 18:36:19

mihar

coalfield wrote:

To clear up the confusion with some people, I am NOT trying to connect wirelessly at gigabit with jumbo frames.  I always connect with a cate5e (RTL8168B/8111B) to my laptop, hence at gigabit speeds with my DNS-323.

How will you achieve gigabit connectivity when your wired ports only go as fast at 100mbps? The 323 will detect that your ports only support 100mbps and will negotiate at 100mbps... So will your laptop... Unless i'm missing something here?

#19 2008-05-19 19:18:08

coalfield

mihar wrote:

coalfield wrote:

How will you achieve gigabit connectivity when your wired ports only go as fast at 100mbps? The 323 will detect that your ports only support 100mbps and will negotiate at 100mbps... So will your laptop... Unless i'm missing something here?

OK I have not explained myself very well it seems....

I have a Netgear GS105UK Gigabit switch (every device including my DNS-323 and laptop with realtek 1GB controller).  Since I need to get online, I connect a Netgear DG834GT to one of the ports.  This happens to be a 10/100mbps switch also, but I dont use it for that, i simply use it to add wireless and modem to my network.

#20 2008-05-19 19:29:50

mihar

Aaahh... Now everything's clearer... lol

BTW, i seem to have sorted out the issues i've been having... Turns out, it was the router... I connected one of my desktops and the 323 to a Dlink DGS1005 switch, turned on jumbo for both and hey presto, it worked... The other desktop connected to the router has no access so the only logical conclusion is that the router was seriously screwing up the jumbo frames...

Now all i have to do is swap the positions of the router and the switch and i'm all set...

#21 2008-05-19 19:47:19

coalfield

mihar wrote:

BTW, i seem to have sorted out the issues i've been having... Turns out, it was the router... I connected one of my desktops and the 323 to a Dlink DGS1005 switch, turned on jumbo for both and hey presto, it worked... The other desktop connected to the router has no access so the only logical conclusion is that the router was seriously screwing up the jumbo frames...

Now all i have to do is swap the positions of the router and the switch and i'm all set...

Sweet....

So you can still get on the net, even though your router does not support jumbo frames.... will that be the same case for me?

Also what size jumbo you using?  Whats the best?

Whats the CPU usage like, compared to it turned off?

And most of all, what kind of difference does it make to the speed?!

#22 2008-05-19 19:58:40

blahsome

mihar wrote:

To me this is not surprising as switches that don't support jumbo frames (your router's internal switch most definitely does not) often just drop them. Draw a line between your end points here:

Scenario 1: PC -- Router's internal switch -- DNS-323. Since your PC and the DNS-323 both have jumbo frames enabled, they will attempt to talk in that mode. Since the switch doesn't support jumbo frames, frames get dropped, and it won't work.
Scenario 2: PC -- gigabit switch -- DNS-323. Since everybody supports jumbo frames, this case works.
Scenario 3: PC -- router -- WAN. Since WAN is not-jumbo frame enabled, your PC (even with jumbo frames turned on) probably won't talk in jumbo frame mode.
Scenario 4: PC -- Router's internal switch -- Other PC (both have jumbo frames on). Have you tested this scenario? I bet it won't work either.

#23 2008-05-19 20:34:48

mihar

coalfield wrote:

Sweet....

So you can still get on the net, even though your router does not support jumbo frames.... will that be the same case for me?

Also what size jumbo you using?  Whats the best?

Whats the CPU usage like, compared to it turned off?

And most of all, what kind of difference does it make to the speed?!

I have no idea if it will work in your case... When Kylek mentioned that his Realteks were on the same switch with the 323, i figured i'd just give it a try since i own the same equipment(DLink)... But when i first bought the switch, i was told it supported jumbo frames but it had no real impact then as i wasn't using Jumbo till now...

Access to the internet is working or else i wouldn't be able to post here....

I'm currently using the max my NIC supports which is 7k... The 323 is also set to 7K... So far, i have noticed a marked speed increase in transferring files... A 4gb iso transfer to the 323 would average 80mbps but with Jumbo, i got it up to 130mbps constant... I'm gonna try other values and see which one gives more bang for the buck but for now, i'm pretty tired after shifting the positions of my network devices so we'll let it rest...

CPU load has not increased at all... It looks pretty normal to me just like when jumbo wasn't turned on in the first place... I'm surprised you mentioned issues with CPU load with jumbo on... The desktop i'm using is a 7 yr old Dell Pentium 4 2.26 and the cpu load is normal....

blahsome wrote:

To me this is not surprising as switches that don't support jumbo frames (your router's internal switch most definitely does not) often just drop them. Draw a line between your end points here:

Scenario 1: PC -- Router's internal switch -- DNS-323. Since your PC and the DNS-323 both have jumbo frames enabled, they will attempt to talk in that mode. Since the switch doesn't support jumbo frames, frames get dropped, and it won't work.
Scenario 2: PC -- gigabit switch -- DNS-323. Since everybody supports jumbo frames, this case works.
Scenario 3: PC -- router -- WAN. Since WAN is not-jumbo frame enabled, your PC (even with jumbo frames turned on) probably won't talk in jumbo frame mode.
Scenario 4: PC -- Router's internal switch -- Other PC (both have jumbo frames on). Have you tested this scenario? I bet it won't work either.

The switch that i have, the Dlink DGS1005D was touted as supporting Jumbo when i bought it... Of course, the guy selling it to me could be lying since i couldn't find any mention of Jumbo Frame support on the box or in the manuals... But it apparently does considering that i've hooked up my 2 desktops and the 323 to the switch with jumbo turned on and it's working fine now... And the reality is my router the DGL-4300 does not in fact support jumbo... It still does allow internet/WAN connection with Jumbo enable NICs but not within the same network... But that could be due to the MTU Path Discovery mentioned by oxygen in the earlier posts...

As to your scenarios, here are my results:

Scenario 1 : Doesn't work
Scenario 2 : Working
Scenario 3 : Working with Jumbo on/off(That's what set me off on the wrong path earlier. Had the router dropped the packets, i would've immediately figured out that the router was the root cause)
Scenario 4 : Working (both my desktops can talk to each other with jumbo on through the router's internal switch. Again, something which confused me)

Last edited by mihar (2008-05-19 20:36:41)

#24 2008-05-19 20:55:27

blahsome

mihar wrote:

Scenario 3 : Working with Jumbo on/off(That's what set me off on the wrong path earlier. Had the router dropped the packets, i would've immediately figured out that the router was the root cause)

That's what I would expect, sorry if I was not clear in my original post. With my limited experience with jumbo frames, if both end points of the communication path support it, they will try to communicate in jumbo frame mode. I would expect Scenario 3 to work because obviously only one end point (PC) supports jumbo frames.

Scenario 4 working is a bit surprising, I admit. Maybe there is some auto-negotiation process that allows the PCs to drop the frame size dynamically? I don't know. I don't even pretend that I know what I'm talking about. smile

#25 2008-05-19 21:25:06

fordem

The DGS1005 may or may not support jumbo frame - I've seen switches that didn't and also did not block communication with both endpoints configured for jumbo frame.

Over the weekend I was fiddling with jumbo frame between my IBM xSeries server and the DNS-323, knowing full well that the Netgear switch in between does not support jumbo (it's a FS728TS - 24 port 100 mbps ports & 4 gigabit ports) - throughput was slightly diminshed when the end points had jumbo frame enabled, but they were able to communicate at all times.

You could try connecting two systems directly to one another with a straight through cable and running oken's benchmark utility with & without jumbo frame enabled and then connect them through the switch and run the utility again - you should be able to tell quite accurately which level or performance the switch delivers.

Board footer