DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#26 2007-12-09 01:24:19

ChrisOwens

Re: Disk 1 spins up every 10 minutes

kruzes wrote:

What it seems to me is happening, is that when a disk goes to sleep syslogd gets that message "HDX stand by now!" and goes on to write it to /etc/syslog, which in turn obviously wakes it up again a few seconds later ("HDX awake now!"). Weather this happens to one or both disks depends on your RAID configuration.

Any idea what process spins down the disks?  Would be nice to check the sources to see if it's spinning 'em down first and then writing the log afterwards.

#27 2008-05-15 14:12:05

grmek

hwahrmann wrote:

yes, started with me again.
traced it down to fancontrol.

While the standard fancontrol is running the disk spins down.
when i kill fancontrol and use the custom script from the wiki, then the disks keep running.

Exact same problem here. Disk0 (right slot) won't spin down, cos it's being accessed every minute (disk LED blinks). I've pinpointed problem down to  ctrl_fanspeed from wiki (even the RAM-disk based one), which is accessing HD_a2 for some reason every 60 seconds.
I've tried eliminating all the logging from the script, but it didnt help.

Any info appreciated.

Regards,
Grega

#28 2008-05-15 19:14:07

Caesareus

I've encountered similar problems like grmek, but found no way to solve them. My disks (RAID 1) don't spin down during running the ctrl_fanspeed script. Did anyone try to run ctrl_fanspeed from an usb-stick?

#29 2008-05-18 22:32:05

grmek

Caesareus wrote:

I've encountered similar problems like grmek, but found no way to solve them. My disks (RAID 1) don't spin down during running the ctrl_fanspeed script. Did anyone try to run ctrl_fanspeed from an usb-stick?

Just tried that now - I'm running both ffp_05 and ctrl_fanspeed from USB stick. Disk 1 (HD0) won't spin down in this situation either.

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the sleep 60 command in the script. Is there any alternative to this command that would not access the file system on the disk for some reason?

Regards,
Grega

#30 2008-05-21 14:36:54

grmek

grmek wrote:

Caesareus wrote:

Just tried that now - I'm running both ffp_05 and ctrl_fanspeed from USB stick. Disk 1 (HD0) won't spin down in this situation either.

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the sleep 60 command in the script. Is there any alternative to this command that would not access the file system on the disk for some reason?

Regards,
Grega

*Bump*

So, is anybody at all using ctrl_fanspeed for making their DNS323 more quiet? I'm very eager to find some solution to disk spinning all the time problem, caused by ctrl_fanspeed script.

Anyone?

Regards

#31 2008-05-22 21:11:36

Skexx

grmek wrote:

So, is anybody at all using ctrl_fanspeed for making their DNS323 more quiet? I'm very eager to find some solution to disk spinning all the time problem, caused by ctrl_fanspeed script.

Anyone?

hi,

I have my DNS-323 now for about 10 days. the first thing I did was the configuration of the device and mount my Raid 1 drive and my linear drive (I've choosen both) on every computer in my network...

the next step was chroot'ing with debian etch and trying out some of the cool stuff in here. the ctrl_fanspeed was one of this...

first the configuration: 2 physical drives (Samsung Spinpoint 500 Gig), 1 partition in Raid 1 and the rest as a linear drive, no usb-pen, no printer used, gigabit network...

my disk are not spinning down at the moment because there is some process that writes me a -- MARK -- in my logfile every 20 mins... till yesterday evening... but I found a maybe working solution in this forum, but have no time at the moment to fix it...

I use the ctrl_fanspeed too... and I figured out some tricky thing... in the fun_plug script I copy the ctrl_fanspeed script into the RAM ( /usr/sbin ) then change the directory to this location via cd /usr/sbin and call the script via ./ctrl_fanspeed &
the result is, that there is no 60 sec access to the harddrives.
BUT if I call it via /usr/sbin/ctrl_fanspeed & (and at this point my current location at the position in the fun_plug script is in the directory /mnt/HD_a2/lnx_bin [changed to it before via cd ...]) this script will cause this damn access to both disk every 60 seconds.

the point I wanne say is, I've copied it into the RAM, changed directory via cd into the RAM and started it there, otherwise I would have a 60 second continuous disk access...

so on...

greetz Skexx

DNS-323
2 SAMSUNG Spinpoint 500Gig

#32 2008-05-22 21:41:23

Sparkss

I don't have debian installed, so how do I get a timestamped syslog-style log ? I have dmesg, but it lacks timestamps, so all I see are the drives sleeping and waking, although through anecdotal experience periodically checking on the DNS I see it asleep more often than awake (when I know that no one is accessing it). And our inactivity settings are set to 10 minutes. But the drives do spin back up.. maybe 10 minutes or so AFTER they have spun down. But again, without a timestamped log I am just guessing at the time intervals.

Thanks to all that have shared their experiences on this issue so far smile

#33 2008-05-23 01:16:07

grmek

Skexx wrote:

I use the ctrl_fanspeed too... and I figured out some tricky thing... in the fun_plug script I copy the ctrl_fanspeed script into the RAM ( /usr/sbin ) then change the directory to this location via cd /usr/sbin and call the script via ./ctrl_fanspeed &

Hey, that tip actually worked!
The only difference is that I had to copy ctrl_fanspeed.sh it to /tmp/ and run it from there, since my /usr/sbin is read-only. Nonethless, it works fine from /tmp/ as well and, get this: without spinning the disk(s) up when inactive!

Thanks for the tip!

Regards

#34 2008-05-23 21:38:07

Skexx

grmek wrote:

Hey, that tip actually worked!
The only difference is that I had to copy ctrl_fanspeed.sh it to /tmp/ and run it from there, since my /usr/sbin is read-only. Nonethless, it works fine from /tmp/ as well and, get this: without spinning the disk(s) up when inactive!

good to hear...

Skexx wrote:

my disk are not spinning down at the moment because there is some process that writes me a -- MARK -- in my logfile every 20 mins... till yesterday evening... but I found a maybe working solution in this forum, but have no time at the moment to fix it...

so, now I solved this problem, too... I've put the logs into the RAM and turned every logging function on. the disks spins down and hold the state until I or some FTP user access the NAS.
The fact, that the log files lying in the RAM are not that tragically, because I've written a little script, that copies them every day and at the beginning of every ssh session on the local disks, appends them to the last logging and delete it from the RAM...

now I can sleep very well, because my NAS sleeps well!

greetz

DNS-323
2 SAMSUNG Spinpoint 500Gig

#35 2008-05-26 04:33:31

Sparkss

The way we were able to get our drives to spin down, and stay down (until requested by us) was to move the DNS and all devices accesssing it to a non-internet accessible network. The deivces that we stream to weren't a big deal as they don't need access to the I-net anyways, but I did have to dual nic the one PC here that needed access to both the net and DNSs (we have 2). Ever since moving them to their own isolated network many issues have "gone away". We used to get streaming glitches and I would see the drives spin up apparently randomly. I do believe that this had nothing to do with the FFP and everything to do with the Internet being a relatively unsafe place to put anything w/o an active and robust firewall. What finally prompted me to move everything over was finding someone trying to hack into the FTP server on BOTH of our DNS. I don't know how successful they were since the DNS does not log FTP session information that I can find. I have little doubt that active port scanning was at least partly responsible for our streaming glitches and possibly some of the drive spin ups (if the scan hit a service from the FFP).

Anyways, just wanted to share our experiences  smile

#36 2008-05-26 05:00:17

fordem

Sparkss wrote:

The way we were able to get our drives to spin down, and stay down (until requested by us) was to move the DNS and all devices accesssing it to a non-internet accessible network. The deivces that we stream to weren't a big deal as they don't need access to the I-net anyways, but I did have to dual nic the one PC here that needed access to both the net and DNSs (we have 2). Ever since moving them to their own isolated network many issues have "gone away". We used to get streaming glitches and I would see the drives spin up apparently randomly. I do believe that this had nothing to do with the FFP and everything to do with the Internet being a relatively unsafe place to put anything w/o an active and robust firewall. What finally prompted me to move everything over was finding someone trying to hack into the FTP server on BOTH of our DNS. I don't know how successful they were since the DNS does not log FTP session information that I can find. I have little doubt that active port scanning was at least partly responsible for our streaming glitches and possibly some of the drive spin ups (if the scan hit a service from the FFP).

Anyways, just wanted to share our experiences  smile

There's a much easier way - make the DNS itself "non-internet accessible" - just leave the gateway ip address blank and it will have no path to the internet.

I find some of what you've posted quite strange - first - let me get something out of the way - I used to have intermittent problems with the unit not going into power save mode, but someone suggested that I check the uPnP and iTunes server and disable them - I was surprised to find that there were enabled by default, and having disabled them I have no more problems.

Now - you mentioned "finding someone trying to hack into the ftp server" and solving it by moving the DNS onto a separate "non-internet-accessible network".  This suggests that you weren't using the ftp server yourself - in which case there are two very simple solutions, the first I've already mentioned and the second is to disable the ftp server - which is the default.

Something I'd like to point out is that in most networks where this device will be installed, the connection to the internet is going to be through some sort of consumer grade NAT router/firewall - and the device will be inaccessible unless someone deliberately configures the firewall to allow access.

I'm not doubting that moving it to a different network fixed the problem - but I just don't think that it did it for the reasons listed.

#37 2008-05-26 05:40:45

Sparkss

All great advice Fordem. I do enjoy and typically benefit greatly from your posts. Thanks for responding to our post  smile

I actually did remove their gateway addresses when I first saw the hacking attempt. But we still had intermittent streaming issues that I suspected as being Internet related. If someone wanted to hammer our IPs, the fact that they didn't have a valid gateway address wouldn't help the fact that they were being flooded by traffic, just traffic that they couldn't respond to.

I had already disabled all other servers (uPnP, iTunes, etc) the first thing when I powered up the boxes thr first time, since I knew I would never be using those features.
I use the FTP server myself to tranfer files to and from the DNS. The NFS that we have installed is for streaming media purposes only, which is all the units are used for.

We have a block of static internet IPs, so all of our devices connected to this switch are hard on the net, 24/7. If at some future time I decide to connect that private network to the Internet I will put a router in place to bridge the private and public networks. smile

For us jsut moving them off to a separate network was easy and worked well enough for our needs and purposes.

I also wanted to add that I was not 100% correct about the discs staying spun down. I noticed while writing this that our second DNS spun up (HD 0 Awake now), and the wife was watching something off of the first DNS, so it was not anyone here that did it. So I still need to drill down to find the root cause sad. I will likely put a flash pen drive and run the FFP from there to see if that helps. In the mean time I am still happy to have moved those off of the Net, for now  smile.

Board footer