DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-06-03 08:07:56

halfsoul

Input/output error on new drive

Hi guys,
I previously had rsync working on two drives, and the other day I upgraded drive sizes (from 250 to 640).  Well, to make a long story short: I think I have a DOA hard-drive, and I want to get your opinions on the subject, since I'm new to EXT2.

This is a sample of the rsync errors I get:

Code:

rsync: read errors mapping "/mnt/HD_a2/Joel/Documents/Phistikit/Story Book draft/Artwork/Editable/CDTrayCard-inside.xcf": Input/output error (5)

I have recopied the files from the original drive onto the new drive, but some files still get read errors.  The files that error out during rsync also error out when trying to manually cp them, and do not get created on the destination drive during rsync.

Now tonight I am going to try rsync with my original 250GB source drive to a new 640GB destination drive.  If I still get errors, then I will suspect corrupt files on the original drive.  However, so far I have had no issues copying from original drive to new drive.

Anyway, should I first try reformatting the new drives?  Or are there disk-checking utilities I can run? (not running debian, stock linux with ffp0.3).  I found a couple threads for repairing filesystems, but my concern is that this is a brand-new drive with a fresh format, so I don't want to waste my time.

Lastly, since I have consistently been able to write successfully, should I be concerned that the data on my new destination drive could be corrupt... and I wouldn't know it since I haven't tried to copy data off it yet?

Thanks in advance.

#2 2008-06-03 15:35:12

oxygen
Website

Re: Input/output error on new drive

The HDD is probably broke. try to get a replacement. Other possibilty would be incorrect seat in the DNS.

#3 2008-06-03 15:43:41

fordem

Most drive manufacturers provide a downloadable diagnostic - you'll probably have to install the drive in a PC though.

#4 2008-06-04 05:55:46

halfsoul

fordem wrote:

Most drive manufacturers provide a downloadable diagnostic - you'll probably have to install the drive in a PC though.

I guess my concern is that I feel like I shouldn't have to be running diagnostics on a brand new drive.  Usually that is an indication of impending/progressive failure isn't it?

If others have experienced similar issues on a new drive and resolved them with diagnostics, I guess I won't mind going that route.

#5 2008-06-04 06:39:20

fordem

Well - if you feel like you shouldn't have to be running diagnostics on a brand new drive and if you think it'll make you feel any better, then by all means don't.

Brand new drives do fail, they're designed to last a given number of hours, a given number of start/stop cycles, some do, some don't - and the manufacturer expects that, that's why they offer a warranty.

Bear one thing in mind though - a diagnostic is a test, nothing more - it'll either confirm that the disk you already think is DOA is, in fact, defective or the disk will pass, in which case you know that you have a good disk - one way or the other, you will know where you stand - but please don't expect running the diagnostic to resolve anything, it's just a test, nothing more.

One last thing - some manufacturers require you to run the diagnostic and report the failure code before they will RMA the drive - on the basis that many of the "failed drives" that go back to them, are in fact, fully functional.

Once again - if you feel like you shouldn't have to be running diagnostics on a brand new drive, then by all means don't - the choice is yours

Last edited by fordem (2008-06-04 07:04:03)

#6 2008-06-04 07:27:25

halfsoul

agreed, good points.  I guess I was thinking of diagnostics utilities in the "find & repair bad sectors" sense instead of the "gather drive condition data" sense.

Edit: Got the diag. utility from WD.  Drive is confirmed DOA:

Test Result: FAIL
Test Error Code: 08-Too many bad sectors detected.
Test Time: 13:04:49, June 05, 2008

balls

Last edited by halfsoul (2008-06-05 23:59:43)

Board footer