DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-05-13 18:08:32

DarkHorseDre

Printer recognised, files created in .lpd, but no print!

Hi all, Im a newbie here, but not to an annoying issue with my DNS 323 (runnig 1.04 code, no hacks).
I originally had this problem with code 1.02 (from new) and 1.03, and now in 1.04 which I downloaded yesterday.

I have attached a printer via USB, a HP OfficeJet G85, and it is recognised in the status screen, as:
Manufacturer:       Hewlett-Packa
Product:         OfficeJet G85

I have added a netowrk printer as Dlink UN-supportTIVe advised on my win XP SP2 pc. and a win XP SP2 laptop!

The result is that files are created in /.lpd, but nothing prints, the printer does not do anything - I have left this for hours!

If I delete the files and re-try, nothing happens..

PLEASE someone tell me this is a known issue WITH a solution smile

DNS-323 as stock, with ffp.  Version 1.08, WinXp SP2 on Dell PC and HP laptop. GigE on all links & switch. 802.11g wireless :\

#2 2008-05-13 18:39:46

fordem

Re: Printer recognised, files created in .lpd, but no print!

First - some printers, especially multifunction printers, just don't work with print servers.

Having gotten that out of the way - let's try to make yours work - how did you install it?

My preferred method is to install the printer directly connected to the system and then edit the properties to point it to the DNS-323 - see my posts in this thread for a step by step how to.

Oh - I forgot - yes - it is a known problem (well - not really - more of a challenge) and there may be a solution smile

Last edited by fordem (2008-05-13 18:44:08)

#3 2008-05-13 20:14:38

DarkHorseDre

Thanks dude, very quick response!

I read the other post too: 'Tis not working for me!!!

I actually thought of the IP port route a while ago, but the 'add port' buttons were greyed out from the 2nd instance of the printer I added (network printer, vs the usb/local version I added firstly).  I decided to work with Dlink support instead... oops!

So now you say modify the local/usb printer (that works when plugged in via usb) to use local port of name '\\192.xxx.xxx.xxx\lp" - well I did that, and nowt happens..
I then created a new printer and added a new port as above, and it now shows the job in the windows print queue but it still doesn't print (will fail after a few minutes with a windows balloon tip).
The .lpd files are NOT created in this case.

I have tried adding a port in the way I am used to - IP port, "192.xxx.xxx.xxx" but to no avail

Also, in your posts, you mention using "\\ip address of dns\lp" and "\\name of dns\lp" - are they the same or should I choose one of them?
Ive tried "\\dlink323\lp" and the job appears in the xp print queue, files in .lpd, but no print...

btw: What about the print spooling option?  should I enable "print spooled docs first"?  default when adding a printer is unchecked.

cheers!

DNS-323 as stock, with ffp.  Version 1.08, WinXp SP2 on Dell PC and HP laptop. GigE on all links & switch. 802.11g wireless :\

#4 2008-05-14 20:57:52

DarkHorseDre

bump!

#5 2008-05-14 21:25:00

Dlink

Have you tried with 1.05 firmware? Some printer changes were made..

#6 2008-05-14 21:29:18

fordem

Sorry - I did see your post - but was sort of busy on that particular day.

Using \\ip address of dns\lp is, to my mind, preferable to \\name of dns\lp - provided you are using static (or reserved) addressing with your DNS-323, since \\name\lp requires NetBIOS to be functional to translate \\name\lp into \\ip address\lp and I'd rather just skip the sometimes problematic step - alas - I have had at least one report where \\name\lp worked when\\ip address\lp didn't, something that I can't explain.

If it's creating files in /.lpd - you've gotten the first part working - communication between the Windows host and the DNS-323 - you need to focus on the second part - communication between the DNS-323 and the printer.

Also - I don't think the print spooling option should make much of a difference - but you could try disabling bi-directional support and see what that does.

#7 2008-05-15 17:17:08

DarkHorseDre

Ok so the only suggestion I see is to try 1.05?  well I downloaded it and I see that Dlink recommend that its only used with North American versions, mine was bought in the UK, not sure if there is a difference??

Oh the fun of it: There aren't any release notes on what 1.05 actually does, and its only available on dlink.com, not dlink.co.uk....  how have Dlink released code and no release notes?  or at least put them with the code...  Can anyone tell me what "printer changes" were made?

Fordem - do you have any ideas on what I can try in addition to what I have?

Last edited by DarkHorseDre (2008-05-15 18:04:36)

#8 2008-05-15 18:14:04

DarkHorseDre

O.k so I've added 1.05 in lieu of a response to my previous post... I deleted and re-added the printer.. Ive printed two docs, I NOW get a baloon tip on the status bar telling me that I sent a document to the printer and what time/date, but no print.. yet?
so a little difference in behaviour so far.. but without seeing the release notes, I have no idea if I should be expecting a change to this problem..

#9 2008-05-15 20:33:17

fordem

The release notes are somewhere in this forum - it does fix a problem that was created in fw 1.04, in which the /.lpd folder was moved to a new location, but the rest of the code was not.  Since you have the /.lpd folder and can see the spool files being created in it, I would not expect it to resolve your problem.

#10 2008-06-02 16:26:59

DarkHorseDre

Anybody got any idea's then?!

#11 2008-06-03 14:56:20

Snow

Can you try this:

- Disconnect printer from DNS323.
- Connect printer to your PC (via USB).
- Print something from your PC via USB to your printer.
- Disconnect printer from your PC.
- Connect printer to DNS323.
- Print something via DNS323.

This is what I need to do in order to get printing again after power down/up of the DNS323 & printer. It looks like the DNS323 is unable to "wake up" the printer after a power up.

#12 2008-06-10 20:33:01

DarkHorseDre

Thanks snow.

to be honest printing successfully via my pc is what I have been doing before the 323 came along, and then plugging it into the DNS and not printing is the current situation, so I didnt think this was different, thus wouldn't work.
However, Im not one to reject a possibility, even if small! so I gave it a try:

I actually have 2 printers defined in windows xp - same driver but one with the USB port defined, and one with the IP address defined (as above).

I tried once with pc usb, then separate "printer" instance, and once with pc, then same "printer" instance but the port changed to \\ipofdns\lp.

Neither worked.

I finally got a copy of the compatibility list (SPI firewall issues!) and to be fair there are HP printers that work with this, but not my one.
I'm peeved that I learn that only a handful of printers work with this SUBSEQUENT to my purchase, but I also see this as a small issue and I'm wondering why my printer wont print even thought it is seen by the DNS?

All DLink have suggested is "upgrade the firmware" - what's the point if they haven't added any code that could possible fix my issue?
School-boy errors! (cowboy outfit?)

DHD

Board footer