DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-06-10 21:40:52

emailpr

Video Streaming over WAN

has anyone been able to STREAM video files over the internet from the dns-323? FTP works fine.. I use musicbrowser to stream the audio over the internet.. (which I don't like much).. but I am clueless about streaming videos over the internet..

I do have twonky installed, but not sure if that can be used to stream.

How can I achieve this? Is there a software that can stream video files from a particular folder??

Your help is much appreciated. Thank you.

#2 2008-06-12 16:39:54

boango

Re: Video Streaming over WAN

Hi.
Not that I think it´s a very good idea, but here goes. Your uplink has to be quite... good. I tried this last night in, but not for that particular reason. My main goal was to be able to access my files over the internet. As it turns out, it is possible to stream music and if course video via any browser.

-Get a dyndns or something of it´s kind. Skip this if you have a static IP adress
-Set up lighttpd (assuming you´re running ffp)
-Telnet to www root
-Create symlink(s) to the directory (directories) you´d like to access from the internet ie Music folder or Videos etc.
-Configure your router if any.
Done

See this forum, wiki or google for ffp, symlink etc

#3 2008-06-12 20:26:13

emailpr

Aahh.. I wish you explain a bit more about installing symlink.. I tried the forum.. and wiki.. not very pertinent to what I wanna do..

anyways. if you could find it in you to explain a bit more.. I'd greatly appreciate it.. in the meantime I'm gonna keep doing my homework about this..

Thanks a bunch..

#4 2008-06-12 20:55:39

emailpr

okay.. so I have my Music files in a directory called Music.. . /mnt/HD_a2/Media/Music

and so thru my terminal window, I telnet to my dns 323.. go to /mnt/HD_a2/www (I am guessing this is what you mean when you say telnet to www root)..

and then here.. I have to create a  symlink to the Music folder that I have under /mnt/HD_a2/Media/Music
and so in there I do

symlink -s /mnt/HD_a2/Media/Music Music_link

is this correct? (Music_link is the name of the symlink under www root).

Please confirm this. Thanks.

#5 2008-06-12 21:04:31

emailpr

instead of the
symlink -s /mnt/HD_a2/Media/Music Music_link

I used

ln -s /mnt/HD_a2/Media/Music Music_link

and it has created the symlink in the www root folder..

but how do I access this from the internet? I have a .html webpage file under /mnt/HD_a2/www/pages

Where does this symlink go? under www or under pages directory? and How do I access this via the internet to stream the music??

#6 2008-06-12 21:23:31

emailpr

okay I figured all that out..and I am able to access Music and video folders thru the symlink that I created in the root of www folder (under www/pages)..and I accessed it using www.mydomainname/symlink_name

so all of that is fine.. BUT...

Music streams..

Video.. it is downloading them.. and not really streaming..

??????

How do I get Video to stream?

#7 2008-06-13 23:15:54

jrbilodeau

based on the system requirements of the web based video/audio streaming apps that i have seen (mycast.orb and TVersity), i don't think that it would work. that is unless you can encode your video's into flv format and use something like JW_FLV_Media_Player http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=JW_ … ia_Player, the same player that music browser uses.

#8 2008-06-15 05:27:22

jrbilodeau

after having made my previous post it got me thinking, and i was like why not use music browser to stream video or pictures, so i've been working on making some mods to music browser and have it streaming flv video's with the option of full screen viewing, but i still have a bit of work to do. i will keep you all posted

#9 2008-06-16 13:34:22

boango

emailpr wrote:

okay I figured all that out..and I am able to access Music and video folders thru the symlink that I created in the root of www folder (under www/pages)..and I accessed it using www.mydomainname/symlink_name

so all of that is fine.. BUT...

Music streams..

Video.. it is downloading them.. and not really streaming..

??????

How do I get Video to stream?

Sorry for not answering. Forgot my pw and my life...
You managed to figure out just about everything anyway so nice job!
According to my definition; every file that has to be read from start to finish concecutively (spelling?) and is accessed from another machine, is streaming. Correct me if I´m wrong here.

If you access a mp3 file from a browser, it starts to play in the actual browser. You´re streaming music. Same thing with a video file. It´s not the best solution for video since the is no way to get full screen etc that way. And I would check up on the MIME types as well. I don´t think .mkv is handled by default; at least not in Safari.

Now this is the solution for me. It just works... I can use a browser to see what´s on my dns-323 instead of smb, nfs and what not. A little easier if I use my phone as well. I can choose if I wanna download the file or watch it right away. I´m problably gonna add PHP later on so I can download a directory with files.

As for viewing streaming video, I tried that last night with great success! Yez I like! With Quicktime or VLC and probably with MPC, WMP as well, you can open a URL. Then you can enjoy fullscreen movies and all the extras an actual video player can offer. I even tried to stream a 720p .mkv and it worked great and with no frame dropping etc. OK, I have a gigbit network, but still. I wouldn´t try that from outside the LAN with 3G... Besides, my Nokia is very keen on downloading videos instead of streaming them. I don´t know why.

/.boango

Board footer