DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-06-12 00:39:58

laurent92

Slow data transfert to/from DNS323 under vista premium

Hi !
I have some performance issue with my DNS323 (2x500 Go, RAID1) and Vista and I'm not able to identify the source of this problem. Here are some illustrations:

When connecting the NAS (1.05 firmware, funplug installed) directly to my PC (onboard Intel 82566DC-2 Gigabit Ethernet port), I can copy large files (~1 Go) at ~10 Mo/s (ie 80 Mbps) according to Vista file manager. It's seems quite slow for a GigaLan isn't it ?

My DNS-323 is usually linked to my Internet Box (NeufBox V4,DHCP router mode, Ethernet 100 Mbits/s). Thus, the router limits data transfer speed to 100 Mbits/s. My PC is in another room and is connected wirelessly. However, the Wi-Fi  signal is weak and the connection is limited to ~18 Mbits/s. In this case, I can copy large files at ~2 Mo/s (16 Mbps).
In order to improve my connection, I'm using CPL adaptors (devolo dLAN Highspeed). In this case, my connection reaches 65 Mbits/s. However, I can't copy more than 1.3 Mo/s.

I though first it was due to the well known bug in Vista.  Unfortunately, SP1 did not improve the data transfer rate.
All drivers are up to date. The PC runs under Vista SP1, with Norton Internet Security 2008 (DNS323 is approved).  Disk speed seems not to be limiting. Disabling QoS/Norton firewall/Norton autoprotect, forcing connection to 100 Mbits/s  and enabling or disabling ECN/RSS does not change anything. Changing AutoTuning parameters (netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled or experimental) and modifying the registry using TCT optimizer results in worst results.

I guess there are some bandwidth restrictions using Vista. Indeed, except for wireless connection, my transfer rate seems to be limited to ~10 % - 15 % of available resources.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks.

#2 2008-06-12 01:25:13

fordem

Re: Slow data transfert to/from DNS323 under vista premium

Although your english is quite good - I'm having trouble with your abbreviations - Mo/s seems to translate to Megabytes/sec.

The unit itself has no bandwidth restrictions, but Vista apparently has some quirks when it comes to working with SAMBA.

Lets take a look at your figures - 80 Mbps is about average for a 100 mbps LAN connection, with gigabit you should see roughly double that, but, there are several potential bottlenecks such as the transfer speed of the hardware at the other end and the fragmentation levels on your disks.

I'm not familiar with CPL adapters, but the term devolo dLAN seems to link to some sort of powerline networking - powerline networking can be problematic at the best of times, even more so than wireless, so if what you're looking for is maximum transfer speeds, I'd suggest you run ethernet cable.

Last edited by fordem (2008-06-12 01:26:44)

#3 2008-06-12 23:49:05

laurent92

Thank you for your reply.

You're right, Mo/s is in fact the french word for Megabytes/s. Sorry for this confusing mistake.
How can I check speed and fragmentation level on the DNS323 ? What's the simplest way to defrag the DNS-323 disk (I'm not at ease with Linux and Samba. I already search the forum but I couldn't find an answer in the few topics covering this issue) ?

Regarding powerline networking, I'm not aware of problems, especially in the case of recent electrical wiring system (it's my case). This technology is advocated in France by many Internet providers and many newspapers. I will try to connect my PC to the router by Ethernet cable (15m) in order to test this hypothesis. It's however strange to reach 2 Mbytes/s on the 16 Mbits/s wireless connection and only 1.3 Mbytes/s on the 65 Mbits powerline connection !

Is there something to do to improve "dialog" between Vista and Samba. Is it worth using NFS for example ?

Thanks.

#4 2008-06-13 01:22:50

fordem

Defragmentation is likely to be more of a problem on the PC side of things, especially if you're using Microsoft Windows, than on the DNS-323.

Powerline networking is susceptible to electrical inerference of just about every type - electric motors in domestic appliances, fluorescent lamps, even old circuit breakers can cause problems

#5 2008-06-13 02:05:36

emailpr

I am transferring from my iMac WIRELESSLY to the dns-323 (wireless N).. at about 4 MBytes/s.. that means.. i can transfer a 250 MB file in a minute..

I usually am able to transfer a 1 gig file in about 4 minutes..

I have vista installed in the same machine.. and it takes AGES!!.. I don't know what the problem with Vista is..

Is this speed comparable to what you guys are getting??.. remember, I am doing this over wireless N

#6 2008-06-13 02:31:31

fordem

emailpr - unfortunately, the state of affairs with wireless N is such that the statement "I'm doing this over wireless N" really means my results are going to be absolutely unpredictable.

802.11n has not yet been ratified as a specification, so far I think there are either three or four draft specifications and most of the equipment available is either Draft 1.1 or Draft 2.0 and in many cases performance is less than the older 802.11g - taking the figures you present at face value 4 MB/s translates to 32 Mbps, that's about par for a good 802.11g connection which is rated for 54 mbps and usually delivers 25~30 mbps.

#7 2008-06-13 06:49:37

emailpr

The reason why I specified I was doing it over wireless N was because I don't think I can get it to go any faster than that even with a wired connection (ethernet 10/100Mbps) to the router.

Board footer