DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-08-05 02:15:04

DNS-323 Talker

Shouldn't the DNS-323 work w/my DLNA-compliant TV?

I have a new LCD (Sony KDL46Z4100) that is DLNA-compliant.  I can connect to my home network, and from the TV browse to my DNS-323, see the folders there, but only the photos in one of six or seven folders I looked at were visible to the TV when I was trying the feature last night...for six of the seven folders with images in them I received a "no images found" message from the TV.

Of course Sony support thinks it's a problem on the DNS-323 side. 

Can someone confirm whether the DNS-323, in "stock form" should be able to serve photos to a DLNA device like the Sony TV?  I'm on FW version 1.04. 

Regarding the Sony - they have the DLNA logo plastered all over the place, and it says this in product info:

Sony KDL46Z4100 info wrote:

All 2008 XBR and Z-Series BRAVIA HDTVs are DLNA-compliant.

You already know something about digital living. There’s the TV and digital video recorder in your family room. (And another set in your bedroom.) You have a PC and digital printer in your office, along with a network attached storage device. And you’ve copied all your music onto your portable music player and haven’t had to open a CD case for years. But getting them to talk to each other can be pretty tough. Why is it still so difficult to send digital content from one device to another?

Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) is a collaboration of the world’s leading consumer electronics, PC and mobile companies that has created design guidelines for a new generation of products that can work together — no matter the brand.

Think for a moment about all of the photos "locked away" on your home PC that you wish you could access while entertaining your friends and family. Now, thanks to DLNA enabled devices, a DLNA-enabled PC can be accessed from the comfort of your living room or family room via a DLNA-enabled HDTV, where you can enjoy your memories with friends and family, without having to deal with the hassle and non-intuitive "PCexperience".

Or, say you recently downloaded your daughter’s birthday party video from your digital camcorder to your PC. Now you want to share it with your parents who are visiting. Without DLNA, you probably have to burn a DVD of the video or hook up the camcorder to the TV. With DLNA, you can just use your TV’s remote to call up the video on your TV. That’s it.

DNS-323 w/two Seagate 500 GB RAID1
Fonz's Fun_Plug- Don't DNS-323 without it!

#2 2008-08-05 04:49:18

RimBlock

Re: Shouldn't the DNS-323 work w/my DLNA-compliant TV?

The 'Stock' uPNP AV server is also meant to work with the XBox 360 on FW 1.5 and didn't for me so I would not put much hope in it TBH.

If you are running FW 1.4 then get uShare (not my compilation but the previous one, just search for it) as this has DLNA support and worked great for me to my XBox 306 (yes, I know, does not use DLNA for that). 

I would imagine Media Tomb would also work but have never tried it as there is no XBox 360 support.

RB

#3 2008-08-05 05:32:54

RimBlock

then again.

taken from the uShare site

DLNA implementation is not yet complete or perfect. Some files may not be streamed or recognized. The specifications themselves are pretty weak in terms of files support and thus, it's possible you won't ever be able to stream your files, even with a perfect implementation.

RB

#4 2008-08-05 07:22:38

DNS-323 Talker

Thanks, RB...makes me think it's not really worth my time, as the performance was so slow that I don't think it's worth using.

#5 2008-08-05 07:55:59

RimBlock

Your welcome.

I love these definitions.

DLNA not fully defined but people / Sony plastering compliance stickers everywhere.

HD ready stickers all over new TV's but so many variations / resolutions out there that people didn't know if it was 1080I/P or 768I/P.

Microsoft implementing the uPNP AV standard on the XBox 360 but making it so close to the edge of the standard that many other devices will not work apart from WMP and on top of that breaking the search function so streamers need to put in a bug fix out of standards to allow the XBox 360 to stream from these devices.

'For the common good' is generally superceeded by 'whats best for me'.  Human nature I guess :-).

RB

#6 2008-08-05 12:33:24

xo-vision

Try TwonkyVision. You can download a 30 day test version. Twonky works with all my UPnP devices (except some PS3 features)

#7 2008-08-06 21:33:33

DNS-323 Talker

Thanks...I think we're just going to use the available USB port on the TV to display photos when we want to via a USB flash drive, or by connecting my wife's Sony camera directly.  Saves me going up into the attic to run more cables (forgot to drop a network line there when we built the alcove) so at least I won't have to get all sweaty and breathe insulation.  smile

#8 2008-08-06 22:23:31

xo-vision

About the network cable mess: try the highspeed powerline devices (200 MBit/s).

Board footer