DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-08-04 15:42:12

Skidder

Funplug 0.5 killed me

...well, not sure if I'm quite dead yet, but I've just bought a 343, stacked it full of 4 tb's (raid 5), moved all of my content to it, then as per fun_plug 0.5 instructions:

"...Copy fun_plug and fun_plug.tgz to Volume 1 and reboot..." (I copied them to the root of my drive mapping).

After waiting a while, my drive letter disconnected, and when I restarted the 343 the volume didn't come back!

I then ran the Easy Search program which can't see the volume anymore. It simply prompts me for my password, waits 10 seconds then nothing!

Can anyone help me remove the files or simply get my volume back???

I'm pretty desperate, so I'm offering to complete a nudie run around my office if you can help.

Thanks
Skidder.

#2 2008-08-04 16:25:56

fonz
Member / Developer
Website

Re: Funplug 0.5 killed me

Skidder wrote:

"...Copy fun_plug and fun_plug.tgz to Volume 1 and reboot..." (I copied them to the root of my drive mapping).

These instructions are for the DNS-323. But you're lucky, it's the same for 343: http://www.shadowandy.net/2008/07/fun_p … ns-343.htm

Skidder wrote:

I then ran the Easy Search program which can't see the volume anymore. It simply prompts me for my password, waits 10 seconds then nothing!

Did you try anything else? Like, does it respond to ping? Does telnet work?

#3 2008-08-04 17:09:01

BikNorton

You could get rid of the funplug by swapping the disks around, I imagine - it'll break the RAID configuration so you should get back to the default, and be able to re-run the web setup. If not, you should be able to plug the disks into another computer and delete the partition tables.

This does of course require you to have a backup of your data.

Last edited by BikNorton (2008-08-04 17:09:26)

#4 2008-08-05 02:54:59

Skidder

I can ping the box, nothing has changed there or on my router and I can still FTP to the device (I set up a DDNS before all this happened).
I've tried performing a manual mapping (says the network path was not found). Note - I've also tried mapping to the IP address etc without luck.

When I browse through network neighborhood, I can browse to the device and see the USB port, print server thingy, and the web page for the web console, but I cant see a shared volume.

I've tried telnet but when I try it says I can't connect to host on port 23 (should I try a different port?).

#5 2008-08-05 05:02:42

RimBlock

Ok,

Standard networking trouble shooting.....

Does the DNS-3x3 have a static IP address ?  If not then give it one.
Does your PC have a static IP address ? If not give it one in the same address range of the DNS-3x3 (only the last segment should be different).
Connect the DNS-3x3 directly to the PC (no hubs / routers / switches etc).

Same result ??

In the Admin web management pages, can you add a share ?

If you add a share is it then visible and mappable on the DNS

Did you change any user / group permissions to any shares before installing the funplug.

Can you ssh to the DNS-3x3 using something like Putty (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/) ?

A screen shot from the easy search program and from the user / group admin page of the web admin interface would possible help.

RB

edited to make it clear this can be tried with the DNS-3x3 where x can be 1, 2 or 4 currently :-)

Last edited by RimBlock (2008-08-05 09:30:57)

#6 2008-08-05 08:00:45

jcatech

Hey guys,

He has a DNS-343 (the 4-bay NAS).

#7 2008-08-05 14:45:36

Skidder

RB> Does the DNS-3x3 have a static IP address ?  If not then give it one.
Yes.

RB> Does your PC have a static IP address ? If not give it one in the same address range of the DNS-3x3 (only the last segment should be different).
It didn't but I've just assigned one (the same address I was given by my router).

RB> Connect the DNS-3x3 directly to the PC (no hubs / routers / switches etc).
RB> Same result ??

Ermm, give me a moment, I will test this after I read your post.

RB> In the Admin web management pages, can you add a share ?
RB> If you add a share is it then visible and mappable on the DNS

No. When I click 'Browse' beside the folder field, I get a window come up (see attached file called 'Browse for a share.JPG') where I can see my device name, but thats all. I can't type anything in the field, when I do the character instantly disappears.

RB> Did you change any user / group permissions to any shares before installing the funplug.
I dont think so. I've just changed my admin password again just in case (set it to the same password as before).

RB> Can you ssh to the DNS-3x3 using something like Putty (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/) ?
No, I get 'Connection Refused' everytime.

RB> A screen shot from the easy search program and from the user / group admin page of the web admin interface would possible help.
Done.

Also, I thought I could use my FTP, but I just found out that I can browse to root folder, but my credentials dont seem to work (it working fine before I FFP'ed it).

Attachments:
Attachment Icon Screen Shots.JPG, Size: 135,625 bytes, Downloads: 270

#8 2008-08-06 14:05:14

Skidder

I've just tried plugging the NAS directly to my computers NIC, and still no good. I am convinced that my device (I called it NAS) hasn't got any shares under it to map a drive to. And I also can't make a new share in the web gui.

I've got photos of my new 10 week old baby on there that I don't have anywhere else....feeling kinda sick about the whole thing at the moment. Does anyone think DLink support will help me?

#9 2008-08-07 06:39:57

Skidder

Took it work as well and plugged it directly into a desktop with the same result. As a result, I also restored the default web console settings...again I had the same outcome as the post's above.

I think the only way around this is either:

1. DLink to weave some magic.
2. Take the disks out, put them in a Linux box with 4 x spare sata connectors, get software raid running and try to mount the array volume in order to back it up.

Any idea if my 2nd option should be as easy as I've made it out to be?

#10 2008-08-10 12:13:54

nittybitty

I'm sure others will disagree, but you are experiencing the frustration of dealing with one of the most overrated technologies of all time - RAID 5.

There are horror stories from other admins of enterprise systems trying to recover from RAID 5 and it's implementations.  I do not know if this device uses software or hardware RAID but suffice it to say that RAID sucks most of the time.  I honestly believe mirror drives work best for almost any situation or RAID 0 is good if you need raw speed. You would of been much better off running no raid and mirroring each drive to another in the device.

Good luck but you might be doomed.

Board footer