DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-08-16 10:23:11

mrmiketheman

JAVA VM on DNS-323?

Any luck porting JAVA to the DNS-323?  Is JAVA too much of a memory pig to fit?  I was investigating JamVM, http://jamvm.sourceforge.net/, which has an ARM port.

In the end, I'd like to run the DVArchive Java applet on the DNS-323 to serve up files to my ReplayTV.

Thanks for any help you all can provide!

#2 2008-01-29 13:39:32

jules

Re: JAVA VM on DNS-323?

I'm also interested in this one, any updates?
Looking at the design spec of ARM926EJ, the processor that seems embedded on the marvel chipset (correct me if i'm wrong), this cpu has java extensions that *should* speed up java execution on this device (as happens in many mobile devices).
Has anyone successfully compiled a jvm on the dns that takes advantage of these java extensions?

CH3SNAS - Black Box Ed. • FW:1.03b6a • 2 x WD5000AAKS

#3 2008-02-12 23:03:09

jules

Just in case someone is interested in running java apps on the dns, here is a brief summary of my findings:
- Only J2SE 1.4.2 has been ported to the ARM platform, but it isn't free (free 90 days trial downloadable from the sun site) and it isn't open. Tried this version with no success, the java binary appears not to be a valid arm binary...
- J2ME CDC/CDLC obviously supports the ARM platform, again it's not free and you can't download a j2me "package" and put it on the dns323 (only an emulator is available), and also it ain't a full j2se implementation, so it's unable to run full fledged java apps like the one cited in the first post.
- Dunno if the j2se can be built by the providers with the jazelle extension enabled, the j2me jvm surely can be.
- OpenJDK. An opensource implementation of the jdk and code base of what will be the jdk7. I've find an attempt of porting this new jvm on various platform (arm but also ppc,sparc,ia64,etc...) developing a zero-assembler hotspot jvm. Really a cutting edge project, but i don't know when the openjdk will be stable and complete enough to execute standard jdk6 apps. The Jazelle extension will be never supported, it is a proprietary extension with its proprietary libraries and the   openjdk is... open wink

CH3SNAS - Black Box Ed. • FW:1.03b6a • 2 x WD5000AAKS

#4 2008-09-01 17:24:20

memebag

I just installed the "jamvm" Java VM (1.5.0 compatible) from the optware packages (see http://dns323.kood.org/howto:optware).  It works OK, but their annotation support isn't 100%, and their SAX parser blows up on element names over 12 characters for some reason.  I was able to work around those limitations and deploy my home-made app server and wiki to my DNS-323 last night.  It's pretty sweet.

#5 2008-09-02 01:24:50

bzhou

There is also phoneme-advanced ipk from optware feed that's worth trying. It contains a J2ME CDC JVM called cvm.
+ very good performance, much better than jamvm
- still java 1.2
I haven't heard from anyone trying that package on dns-323. See http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseJavaOnTheSlug for setup.

Looking ahead, the cacao vm is known to run on ARM linux, both old ABI and EABI. But it needs some porting work. And the OpenJDK is making progress everyday, looks very promising.

Board footer