DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-09-15 22:32:51

erleone

Cannot issue tar command according HowTo: chroot Debian

Hi!
I'm new to linux hacking and I'm following the guidelines in order to get FireFly up and running on my DNS323.  I have telnet access to my DNS323 and have just downloaded the etch.tar image to my PC then FTP'd it over to the DNS.
It is now stored under:

/mnt/HD_a2/etch.tar

When I try the next step:

#tar -xf etch.tar
tar: Unrecognised file type

Why is that?
Do I need a newer version of busybox?
I have BusyBox v1.00-pre1 (2007.12.10-08:03+0000) multi-call binary

I have flashed with modified firmware 1.05 to get telnetaccess.  If I look in the tar file on my pc with winrar, I can see the whole structure.
Can I unpack everything with winrar and then ftp all files to the DNS323?

Thanks!
e

#2 2008-09-16 18:02:17

dkl

Re: Cannot issue tar command according HowTo: chroot Debian

Your tar file was possibly corrupted during the FTP copy. It must be copied in BINARY mode. Try to copy again.

#3 2008-09-16 22:46:34

erleone

I've ftp'ed binary (and just in case even tried Ascii) but that didn't do the trick. Both yield Unrecognised file error.

I opened the sarge.tar file with winrar and extracted it to my DNS323. All files and directories were created but I got alot of warnings from winrar about broken/missing symbolic links. Then logged into the DNS I tried the command according to the howto:
#chroot sarge /bin/bash

but the command chroot is invalid though it lies in

/mnt/HD_a2/sarge/usr/sbin/chroot

It seems as though I'm missing something fundamental here.

If I write
#chroot sarge /bin/bash
/alt/sh: .: chroot: not found

If I write:
# .   /mnt/HD_a2/sarge/usr/sbin/chroot
/alt/sh: /mnt/HD_a2/sarge/usr/sbin/chroot: line 1: syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")

It seemed so straight forward in the HowTo guide.
Don't know what to try next...

#4 2008-09-17 02:27:53

zimer

I recently muddled my way through the steps required. I can't remember if the etch.tar provided was broken but I ran through the compile your own steps. And a bunch of package fiddling afterward. Are you trying to do this without the stuff that's "built in" to funplug 0.5. Sounds like your running custom compiled firmware and the support for the necessary commands may be in funplug and not the firmware.

#5 2008-09-18 22:57:14

erleone

I used custom firmware (FrodoII).
I reflashed with standard 1.05 firmware and created my own funplug to achieve telnet access (all according to the how-to tutorials).
I managed to get telnet access again but the problem remains

# # tar -xf etch.tar

tar: Unrecognised file type
# #

The interesting part here is that the prompt is double, ie # # , with the custom firmware I only had one #

I'll try to install Fonz fun-plug 0.5 and see if it works better.

What I'm actually trying to do is to install FireFly but with Fonz fun-plug 0.5 I see there is another media server included: Media Tomb.

Hopefully that will solve all my problems :-)

UPDATE: Now with ffp 0.5 and mediatomb running my DNS-323 and Pinnacle Soundbridge are a happy couple!

Last edited by erleone (2008-09-20 23:19:44)

Board footer