DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-03-17 20:30:44

nicko

Problems understanding share security...

I've just bought a new DNS-323 with 2 Samsung 500Gb drives in mirrored config, formatted EXT2 and upgraded to firmware 1.02.

I'm trying to use a Windows XP client (all latest patches) to map to a share called "backups" to a drive letter (Z:) - I have a DNS user called "backup", and a directory called "Volume_1\backups" to which user "backup" has r/w access - the created share is obviously also called "backups"...

When I try to map this share from windows, I'm always asked for a password, but the username is greyed out and fixed as "MYSAN\Guest" (where "MYSAN" is the name of the DNS, not the workgroup name I entered when configuring the DNS [HOUSE]).

So, How do I map this share? How to I get Windows to prompt me for the username as well as the password?

What *EXACTLY* is the relationship between local users on the DNS, and Windows users? Is there any - all my house PCs (6 of them - 4 kids, 1 server & my PC) are all in the same workgroup as the DNS, all the priniters, routers etc.

Help? Please?

Thanks

#2 2007-03-19 17:22:40

nicko

Re: Problems understanding share security...

Ok... getting better at this... there is a crude samba server in the DNS - I read the wiki, got a feel for fun_plug, and understand that the default samba server is basic, and configured rather crudely.

If I want beter integration with Windows security, what are my options? (which won't brick the DNS, preferably!)

Many thanks

Nicko

#3 2007-03-19 21:15:43

kimhav
Website

Re: Problems understanding share security...

Here is how I've set up the dns-323 together with Win XP; first of all the both the clients and dns-323 belongs to the same workgroup and finally when creating users access for the dns-323 - set up the userid and password so that they match your windows users id and password. By this you shouldn't be promted as long that you as well told Windows to save the uid/pw when you mapped the network resource from dns-323. I have 6 clients and all of them can reboot and access the resources without any problems.

Kim Haverblad
Klagshamn, Sweden
http://kim.haverblad.se

Board footer