DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-10-19 14:08:30

enigmatic

Help with status lights - what is wrong?

Hi,

We had lightning this afternoon and the power dropped out as some content was being streamed from the DND-323.

We switched everything off until after the storm.

The unit has now powered up again but I cannot connect to the DNS-323. The middle (power) button is flashing constantly. The left HDD light is lit and solid but the right HDD light is out.

If I try to connect over the network, the network light does flash but there is no response back. Can't connect over SMB or web interface.

Does this mean that I've lost the right HDD and need to replace it? Or is the device gone?

Cheers,

Chris

#2 2008-10-19 16:40:50

fordem

Re: Help with status lights - what is wrong?

The device itself seems to have a problem - it should power up and come ready even if a drive has failed.

What firmware were you running?  Were you running RAID or JBOD?

Try removing both drives (mark them so you can put them back where they came from) and see if it will come up without them.

#3 2008-10-20 13:41:39

enigmatic

Hi,

I'm running the disks in RAID.

I'm a little wary of removing both of the drives in case I lose the data which is why I asked about the status lights.

I left the unit powered off for the entire day and we've also just had another storm. Just turned it on and all is well - back to normal and working OK ;-)

I'm a happy man!

#4 2008-10-20 15:07:38

fordem

With RAID1 you should have no problem if you remove a single disk or even both disks simultaneously.

More important - from your second post it would appear that you have no backup - RAID1 is not a substitute for backup.  For the purpose of discussion, what would you have done had the unit died or trashed your data, as you originally feared?

Back it up now whilst you can, and keep that backup up to date.

#5 2008-10-20 23:04:09

enigmatic

I do have the data backed up, it is just in a number of other places and mainly on DVD media. I don't really look forward to restoring this to one place.

Will heed your advice and get it backed up properly, better safe than sorry.

Cheers!

Board footer