DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-03-29 02:18:12

sitemaster

Failed to map drive, D-link support not very helpful

I've read the posts here about 'Failed to map drive' that's the problem I have.

Today I have spent well over 2 hours on the phone to D-Link support, my last call was 116 minutes, I didn't know my phone counter restarted after 100 minutes!

I was passed from technician to a Senior Technician, who suggested I reformat for RAID 3 and connect the device directly to my PC - how much faith can you put in these people when a senior technician asks you to format a device for RAID3 when the specification clearly states JBOD, RAID 0 and RAID 1?

Similarly I told them I could ping the device with no problem and they suggest connecting directly with a cable, I explained that I thought that needed a crossover cable - which the person did not appear to know anything about.

In case anyone else can help with this, I have not really made a lot of progress . . .

I have firmware 1.02b - the latest
Easy_search 3.4.0.0 - the latest
The 323 is connected via a D-link 524 router

I can log in with a browser and make changes.

I set up the ftp server, and using my ftp client can log in and transfer files onto the hard discs in the 323 (formatted RAID 1 plus a little bit left over as a second volume)

Speed is fast, so it ought to be on a local network.

When I go to manually map a network drive I can 'see' the dns-323 but when I click on the + next to it nothing appears, even when changing user I still can't access the folders and files that I know are there because they show with ftp client.

Any advice/suggestions on how to access from XP welcome.

#2 2007-03-29 03:11:58

Aaron

Re: Failed to map drive, D-link support not very helpful

Site,

If you have not changed the volume permissions you should be able to go to My COmputer, Tools, Map network drive, Select the Drive letter, under folder type \\YOUR-DNS-323-Ip\Volume_1.

If you changed the permissions and now have a username and password associated with it, you can click on connect using a "different username" and type it in there. Then click next and see if this maps it.

-Aaron

#3 2007-03-29 06:11:18

sitemaster

Aaron
Thanks for your speedy response, I just tried that but without success.

The DNS-323 shows up in the Map Network Drive box, showing as dlink-8c80e9 then when I click on it nothing else apprears, tried as different users.

I also tried plugging my printer into the usb port, when I look in the status display my printer is correctly shown, then when I try to install a network printer there's nothing to browse to.

:-| no idea what to try next

addition:

well I have tried more things but no success, so I have put together a series of web pages with screenshots of what I have been doing and am going to email d-link support and ask them to take a look at the pages. I hope that will get something out of them.

Anyone who wants to look is very welcome, it might help go here

alanchard dot com and select the dlink link at the bottom of the page

Last edited by sitemaster (2007-03-29 18:40:02)

#4 2007-03-29 19:03:37

sitemaster

I have put together some web pages showing the problem

http://www.alanchard.com/dlink323/index.htm

comments or feedback welcome, I just want to get this thing working :-)

#5 2007-03-29 20:19:51

magnus

I had a similar problem.  I just removed and readded the entry for "ALL" users in NetworkAccess in the configuration for DNS-323.

#6 2007-03-29 20:21:36

sitemaster

I'll try that immediately and see if it does the trick - thanks for your response.

#7 2007-03-29 20:47:24

sitemaster

I'm sorry to say that didn't change things. I have emailed dlink support and given them the url of the pages that I have put together so now I'm waiting to see if they respond.

#8 2007-03-29 21:14:32

minor

You wrote that you decided to use RAID 1 - but the Images of the Easy-Nonsense-Utility on your page show two drives? Did you format your hard-drives properly? What does it say under "Status" in the administration-pages?
Did you set up a share under "Network Access" ?

Just to ideas...

#9 2007-03-29 21:22:01

sitemaster

Hi minor - that's really observant of you to spot the difference. Thank you for your interest.

Yes, I reformatted as standard drives to see if that made any difference, sadly it didn't.

I also tried deleting both the shares from network access as suggested by major, then set them up again giving read/write access.

I've never had such problems as this, I'll turn my pages into a review once this is sorted out :-)

While I'm going for lunch I'll reformat again as RAID1 and see if that changes things

#10 2007-03-29 21:28:18

minor

After formatting the disk - no matter if Raid or standard - you have to create a share under "Network Access" otherwise the SMB will  not be running and you will not see the device in your Windows Neighborhood.

#11 2007-03-29 23:41:32

Aaron

Have you tried uninstall/reinstalling Netbios in Windows? Do you have any other PC's on the network to try this with or only the single pc?

Everything looks right, the device is recognizing your partitions correctly at the right sizes, You have the 300gb Raid 1 with a 38gb Linear partition.

In your windows explorer, if you type \\192.168.0.102\Volume_1 or \\192.168.0.102\Volume_2, what response to you get?

_Aaron

#12 2007-03-30 00:52:51

kimhav
Website

What about checking so that both the Windows clients and dns-323 has the same workgroup name and as well try to set up the dns-323 so it make use of the same uid and pw.

Kim Haverblad
Klagshamn, Sweden
http://kim.haverblad.se

#13 2007-03-30 01:39:09

sitemaster

Guys, thank you again :-)

minor - I tried deleting both Volume_1 and Volume_2 accesses under networking and then re entered them giving both read/write access, I also created two folders on Volume_1 with one user and gave both of them read/write access. I was not really sure what to do where you said 'create a share' . . .

Ftp worked fine, I was able to access both volumes, and move files, but not create folders.

Aaron - I tried the numerical addresses, and set the username to admin without a password - it looks like the device is not accessible. I put the images on my site here

http://www.alanchard.com/dlink323/pages/page_8.htm

I'm not sure how to remove NetBios - I have just one PC here, I do have a Mac too, running OS X but I was saving that bit of fun until I had got the PC working with the NAS, I thought it would be easier LOL

Last edited by sitemaster (2007-03-30 02:04:21)

#14 2007-03-30 03:10:45

Aaron

Alan,

From a command prompt in windows, do you get ping responses when you try to ping by device name? IE. "ping Dlink-8c80e9".

Also, are you using Sp1 or Sp2 of Windows XP? More and more this seems like a network issue with drivers especially if you can access it via FTP. You may also consider reinstalling "Client for Microsoft Networks" for your network card. You can access this by going to Control Panel > Network connections, Right click on your card and hit properties. In the same window with TCP/IP Protocol, You should see Client for Microsoft Networks, uncheck this, let it uninstall, and then install it again.

_Aaron

#15 2007-03-30 17:27:31

sitemaster

kimhav and Aaron, thank you again.

Well I guess you are both right - I borrowed another laptop to test the box, I did not want to make any changes to the borrowed computer as I promised the owner I would change nothing, so I changed the workgroup on the dlink to Mshome, that's all I did.

When I went to my computer on the borrowed laptop there were Volume_1 and Volume_2 plus my printer showing a network icon, double-clicking the Volume_1 icon produced all the files.

So, it looks like it's my network setup that's the problem.

I have uninstalled MS TCP/IP, Client for MS Networks and File and printer sharing then re-installed all 3, and in addition I installed NWLink Net BIOS. Restarted, then changed my group to Mshome and restarted again.

Now, I'm not seeing anything on my network except my own computer, so I will look at the setup on the borrowed laptop and try to make mine the same. If that doesn't work I'll be calling Dell as the machine is still under warranty.

BTW I could ping the dlink with ping Dlink-8c80e9, and I could access it with a browser using http://Dlink-8c80e9

As soon as I have this sorted out I will post the details so they are available.

#16 2007-03-30 18:36:03

sitemaster

Some progress - I compared the network properties for the laptop that works and mine, then I unistalled MS TCP/IP version 6.
Now I can at least 'see' Volume_1 and 2 when I look at my workgroup.

My network is missing the following . . .

Intel Wireless connection agent
WLAN Transport

I guess it's one of them that is causing the problem. I'm trying to understand Dell's download site at the moment to find out which things to install

#17 2007-03-30 21:28:04

sitemaster

RESOLVED !

* ZONE ALARM * was the culprit !

I contacted Dell, got a response within an hour telling me up updated the wireless card driver, then use a troubleshooting tree and let them have the results. It asks you to go through a whole load of steps like checking the ethernet port for damage, then asks you to remove any anti-virus or firewalls with a whole long list.

I was extremely cautious about that step but have to give it a try, and bingo that was it, as I clicked restart a window popped up saying a new device was found on the network, so now I need to check whether or not I can configure zone alarm to work with the dlink.

That's two and a half days wasted - or should I say expensive experience that I've just gained, hope it helps others. I'll go and update my webpages now, I'll add this to known issues on the wiki too.

Added later:

I have updated the Wiki with some notes about this and also updated the webpages that I put together showing the problem and the solution - plenty of screenshots, I hope it helps anyone with similar problems

Last edited by sitemaster (2007-04-06 05:55:44)

Board footer