DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-11-25 04:20:54

NickPDX

Trying to install MPD on my DNS-323...

I got a G1 (cell phone with T-Mobile) and there was a MPD app posted on the market the other day.  I didn't know what that was so I started looking into it.  I have now learned that it is a server that runs on a computer (or NAS hopefully) and you can stream your music collection using a suitable client.  I admittedly am not the most versed individual on the inner workings of my DNS-323 but I am good at following directions and figuring things out.  I currently have twonky running on my NAS, and got that going by following instructions found on this site.  I have been looking everywhere for some help in installing MPD ( http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Music_Player_Daemon_Wiki ) on my NAS so that I can stream my music to my phone and use it as an MP3 player on the road.

I appreciate any help that anybody can offer, or if you can point me in the direction of some help. 

Thanks!

If the information helps, I have a DNS-323 running official firmware v1.05, I have installed FFP and twonky. I don't know what else I could or should put so thats about it. Thanks again! :-)

#2 2008-11-30 18:03:31

NickPDX

Re: Trying to install MPD on my DNS-323...

Just giving this one a bump to try to find a solution. It seems to me that I should be able to compile the linux version from the website to work on the NAS. Sound correct? Thanks again for any help.

#3 2008-11-30 19:31:32

edward3h

Re: Trying to install MPD on my DNS-323...

It would be worth checking out http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/What_MPD_Is_and_Is_Not

In short, MPD is not like the iTunes server or Twonky. Those systems share files which other devices play. MPD plays the music out of the server - the clients just act as controllers. i.e. if you ran MPD on the DNS323 it would mean it would try and play sound on the NAS box, which won't work because it has no audio device!

One thing I have tried is running MPD on another computer, with the path to read music files mapped to the NAS box.

(In theory it may be possible to hook up a USB sound card to the DNS323, and play music out of it, but I would suspect the CPU is not really up to decoding MP3s).

Board footer