DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-11-24 13:31:13

nemo

brand new 323 with a western digital caviar keeps timing out

hi all, did some searching here and across the web but couldn't find what i was looking for...

just bought a 323 and a western digital caviar (black, 1TB), both brand new... set it up and connected to a linksys WRT54G, but the sucker kept timing out randomly.

i set a static IP... same result.

i thought it might have to do with the power-management/spin up on the HD itself, and so i set the the caviar's jumper to enable PM2, but after that the 323 didn't even come up at all. does anybody know anything about PMS, and whether i am supposed to enable that?

otherwise, would it be the router that's causing the issue, or something screwy about the 323 or the HD itself?

thanks... sort of new to all this - first NAS i'm ever setting up here...

#2 2008-11-24 14:25:16

fordem

Re: brand new 323 with a western digital caviar keeps timing out

Define "timing out randomly" - what does it mean to you?  Are you accessing the unit through the wired or the wireless network?

You can find the details of Western Digitals power management on their website, but essentially what that jumper does is prevent the drive from spinning up until it receives a command to do so - if the device firmware is not compatible and does not send the start command, the drive will not spinup and come ready.

#3 2008-11-24 14:48:33

nemo

hi fordem, thanks for the quick reply.

the 323 times out 'randomly' in this sense:

at first, after going through the install process, everything seemed fine for a few minutes. then... poof, the device disappeared from my network places, i couldn't access it via my web browser, etc... 'the connection has timed out, this device is no longer available..."

the 323 would come back only after i turned it off and back on, but then it would just time out again after a few moments.

after i put the jumper on, the 323 couldn't be reached at all (via the browser or my network places). so i removed the jumper again. but now the unit seems to come and go right from the start. i left it on for a while and it came back. then disappeared again. so it seems to me to be essentially, a sporadic or "random" connection.

everything is connected to the router itself, wired. i'm on a win XP sp2 machine, and the firmware that shipped with the 323 is 1.04. is PM2 necessary at this point? i'd rather just leave the hard drive in its default state. my use of the jumper was just to test if that had anything to do with the dropping connection...

#4 2008-11-24 17:31:50

bq041

Windows has bugs with its network places.  This scenario also happens with windows machines connecting to other windows machines.  Do you have any issues when connecting to the DNS with the IP address?  If the problem only exits in network places and in the browser via the host name of the unit (and not with the IP address) then you can make an entry in your hosts and lmhosts file for the device.

DNS-323     F/W: 1.04b84  H/W: A1  ffp: 0.5  Drives: 2X 400 GB Seagate SATA-300
DNS-323     F/W: 1.05b28  H/W: B1  ffp: 0.5  Drives: 2X 1 TB  WD SATA-300
DSM-G600   F/W: 1.02       H/W: B                Drive:  500 GB WD ATA

#5 2008-11-24 19:04:27

fordem

As far as I can tell PM2 is unneccesary and if used, the unit will either not detect the drive or not come ready - you may have a defective unit - there is a network link LED on the front panel below the button and there should be a similar indicator on the switch or router, the next time you cannot reach the unit in your browser, verify that the link LEDs at both ends are on - if either one is not you have a problem with the network connection - if both are on I'd suggest you call D-Link and try to get the unit replaced.

#6 2008-11-24 20:24:58

fordem

jmjansen00 wrote:

fordem wrote:

As far as I can tell PM2 is unneccesary and if used, the unit will either not detect the drive or not come ready - you may have a defective unit - there is a network link LED on the front panel below the button and there should be a similar indicator on the switch or router, the next time you cannot reach the unit in your browser, verify that the link LEDs at both ends are on - if either one is not you have a problem with the network connection - if both are on I'd suggest you call D-Link and try to get the unit replaced.

Is that not what i just said.....

Well - pardon me for posting - did you, by any chance, also answer his question on the Western Digital power management?

#7 2008-11-24 22:07:55

fordem

jmjansen00 wrote:

fordem wrote:

jmjansen00 wrote:

Is that not what i just said.....

Well - pardon me for posting - did you, by any chance, also answer his question on the Western Digital power management?

Calm down Fordem......

We have a proverb here - about taking the plank out of your own eye, before taking the splinter out of your friend's - I've paraphrased it so that you can understand, because, here it would be said in the coarsest of patois - I'm sure you get the idea though wink

#8 2008-12-01 00:12:20

nemo

thanks everyone! i finally had time to test out some of the methods suggested by both fordem and jmjansen00, and managed to get things working. turned out i had a gimpy port on my existing linksys router... i swapped it out to a different port and the server came on and stayed on. i also went ahead and got a new wireless-n router... it was about time anyway. you two were both very helpful, and it was much appreciated!

#9 2008-12-01 16:58:01

jesbo

nemo...

Don't forget to test your ethernet cable too.  I can't tell you how many times I've determined that "gimpiness" was due to a flakey ethernet cable.... strange as that seems.

DNS-323 (H/W ver. B1) |  2 x 1 TB WD Caviar Black (Raid 1) | Corsair Flash Voyager - 16 GB USB | FW 1.08 | fun_plug 0.5

Board footer