DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-01-11 10:59:02

LuisLlana

Permission problems

Hello,
  if am making a chrooted debian installation. I have a problem with the permission of some files. In order ssh to work without password it is necessary to create a directory and a file with restricted permissions. The problem is that when the unit restarts those directory and files (and I think all files and permissions) have write permission for everybody. I have make a script to change those permissions.
  Is that behavior normal? There are many programs that rely on those permissions and it can be awkward to change all the needed permissions every time the system boots.

#2 2007-01-11 11:15:30

sala
Member / Site Admin
Website

Re: Permission problems

This is normal. Setup a second ext partition to get around or build a custom firmware and modify /etc/hotplug/idemount to not chmod files at startup.

DSM-G600 - NetBSD hdd-boot - 80GB Samsung SP0802N
NSA-220 - Gentoo armv5tel 20110121 hdd-boot - 2x 2TB WD WD20EADS

#3 2007-04-06 05:15:46

radiusweb

I just ran into this permissions problem for the first time.  I had no idea there was any sort of /etc/hotplug/idemount file out there that will go through my debian sarge installation and completely destroy all the permissions and dozens of hours spent customizing the system.

This firmware has proven to be an unruly beast.  smile  I lack the developer knowledge to replace the initrd with my own stuff but god I'd do it if I could.

The problem is this.  Although my fun_plug kills all the firmware loaded daemons before starting a chrooted sarge installation, I have to rely on the fun_plug being executed before the firmware daemons go out and do anything rash  to my installed OS.  I was planning to have some of my customers buy DNS-323 because until today they seemed like a great, low price debian server.  In truth the machine does everything I need it to and debian runs great!  (So long as the firmware "demons" don't go out and wreck everything.)

I'm about to scrap the idea of doing any more work with the DNS-323 unless one of two things happen:

A.  A solid replacement firmware is made available that doesn't load any of D-LINK stuff.
                                                 -or-
B.  I can get confirmation from someone that killing all daemons from within fun_plug will *always* succeed fast enough to prevent the unit from chmoding everything in my sarge directory.

God.  I was really hoping this was going to work out.  I've lost hours of work now.

#4 2007-04-06 15:48:19

sala
Member / Site Admin
Website

As said dozens of times - only real way do eliminate chmod (permissions problem) is to setup a second partition for your files, which will not be mounted automatically (by idemount) and which you are going to mount manually (using fun_plug).

Although DSM-G600 have already custom firmware available, along with build scripts (look svn), then you can just modify your idemount accordingly smile
But as I see you have DNS-323 then your options is little more limited in this area and second partition trick is the best pick in your case.

DSM-G600 - NetBSD hdd-boot - 80GB Samsung SP0802N
NSA-220 - Gentoo armv5tel 20110121 hdd-boot - 2x 2TB WD WD20EADS

#5 2007-04-07 12:01:49

radiusweb

sala wrote:

This is normal. Setup a second ext partition to get around or build a custom firmware and modify /etc/hotplug/idemount to not chmod files at startup.

My bad.  I read this and thought you meant "second (ext)ended filesystem" or ext2.  I understand your point now.  Thanks for the advice!

Board footer