DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-12-31 13:36:46

hape

Raid 1

hi
i am a new user of the DNS 323. I have a question to all of you which have experience with RAID 1. I have bought two disks to have Raid 1. But o have read in the forum that some users copy one disk to the other manually (or per cron). I'm not sure hao i ahould install the DBS 323. Is it true that Raid 1 is not working correct i will install the two disks as two standalone disks.
pls write your opinion and thx alot for help
hape

#2 2008-12-31 18:07:39

bq041

Re: Raid 1

It is not really a matter of opinion, just fact.

It is important that you understand RAID 1 and what it is used for.  RAID 1 makes a real-time mirror of your disk.  For example, with 2 1TB drives, you will only have 1TB of usable space.  The purpose of RAID 1 is to keep the system up and running after a single physical hard drive failure.  This should mean access to the unit remains the same as before the failure.  This should be invisable to the end user.  The theory is that the drive then gets replaced, and then after the new drive fully syncs, everything is back to normal running.  As I said, this is completely invisable to the end user.

The disadvantage to this is that you still require backups of the system.  If a user erases something, or a file is corrupted, or a virus strikes, it does so to both disks.  There is no backup of the system.

By copying 1 drive to the other,  you now have incremental backup of the system.  Anything changed on the main drive is not changed on the second drive until the copy is made.  In this instance, if a user or virus or whatever erases or destroys data, it is only destroyed on the primary drive, not the second drive, unless you discover it after the copy was made. 

The disadvantage to this is that if the primary drive fails, the system will be down until you either rebuild it, or switch your backup over to be the main drive.  Also, any work that was done after the last copy, but before the failure will be lost.

It is really up to you to determine the value of your data and your time.  You need to ask yourself if your data needs to be accessable all the time, even in the event of a drive failure.  Either way you go, it is ALWAYS prudent to have a backup of your data, especially of your non-replacable data.

Now for my opinion:

There have been some issues with DLink's implementation of RAID 1 on the DNS.  It is manily bugs in their firmware which has resulted in some incorrect formats (wrong drive) and hang-ups during configuration.  This is not an issue with the software RAID, only with DLink's interface to it.  The RAID setup works very well an is highly reliable if you choose to learn how to use mdadm and configure things manually.  It does take some Linux knowledge and there are a few files that need to be changed and updated while doing it, but it works very well.  I have done a lot of testing with this. 

I personally use individual drives and back them up via the USB port to external drives.  I do not have a need to have the system up all the time, and I also have scripts made so I can swap out a bad drive to a backup very quickly.  I also do not store a lot of live data on either of my DNSs.  I use them mainly for serving movies to my 3 Popcorn Hour NMTs.

DNS-323     F/W: 1.04b84  H/W: A1  ffp: 0.5  Drives: 2X 400 GB Seagate SATA-300
DNS-323     F/W: 1.05b28  H/W: B1  ffp: 0.5  Drives: 2X 1 TB  WD SATA-300
DSM-G600   F/W: 1.02       H/W: B                Drive:  500 GB WD ATA

#3 2009-01-01 16:02:04

hape

hi
thx a lot for your opinion. The facts you wrote about what Raid 1 means are clear. My interest was to know the Raid 1 itself works with the DNS 323. As you wrote you have to manage the Raid 1 yourself by changing some files. So i'm not a novice on Linux (i have installed Sidux on my main PC) but i'm also not a really expierienced one.
So it would be very nice if you bq041 wrote what you have changed. What is my installation: 3 main PCs for everyone at home plus 1 PC in the Living Room as Multimedia PC. So on the DNS 323 should be pictures and films which i want to share to anybody in the family. Therefor the pictures and films (and some other documents we want to share) resides also on backup drives but i want on a disk crash only to replace the disk and everything is fine again. The idea is to have the DNS 323 24 hours online.
So now after exactly explaining what i want to do you can better understood and give me your opinion if Raid 1 is the best for this scenario or 2 seperate disk with cron jobs to backup the first disk.
thx for your time to help me
hape

#4 2009-01-05 16:15:21

bq041

Once again, the question about if Raid 1 is what you need or not is a matter of if you need the data available 24/7 even in the event of a drive failure, or would you rather have the storage space?  The idea of inserting a new disk and everything is fine is great in theory, but not so great in practice.  There are a few things that you would have to do.  Now, the next question I will ask is if you need the DNS' web admin tool to be happy?  This adds some complexity.  If you have a basic understanding of Linux, putting in a new disk, partitioning it, formatting it, and syncing it to the array are pretty easy to do.  The unit will work by doing only these things, but there are config files that the web admin tool looks at each time you log in that would not be right.  Due to this, it would ask you to format each time you log in (of course hitting cancel will take you to the rest of the web admin tool and it will work no problem).  The config files reside in 4 location: 1 on each disk and 2 in flash.  The files contain the information as to the raid (or not) configuration, as well as the physical serial numbers of the hard drives.  All these files need to be updated each time a new drive is put in.  The only advantage in this respect of the individual drives is that not all of the config files are located on each of the drives in individual mode, saving a small amount of work.

The unit has also been know to format the wrong drive even in individual mode, so I always do everything manually.

Lastly, my backup drives are the same make and model as the internals.  I also set up the partitions the same.  This way, if I get a failure, I can drop the backup drive right in the unit, copy a couple of files to flash, and I'm back up and running in 5 minutes.  I then just start making another backup. 

You really need to make the decision yourself between the cost of having the redundancy (disk price) and the cost of time to restore a backup.  For me is is more cost effective to have the larger amount of storage and restore as I stated above.

DNS-323     F/W: 1.04b84  H/W: A1  ffp: 0.5  Drives: 2X 400 GB Seagate SATA-300
DNS-323     F/W: 1.05b28  H/W: B1  ffp: 0.5  Drives: 2X 1 TB  WD SATA-300
DSM-G600   F/W: 1.02       H/W: B                Drive:  500 GB WD ATA

#5 2009-01-06 11:10:46

hape

hi
thx for your help. OK the view on DNS 323 Raid 1 you give is that what i want to know. So as you described it isn't so easy to replace a disk and everything is fine. So i will make the two disks seperate and copy the files by cron jobs. This are the hints i was searching for.
thx alot
hape

Board footer