DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-07-01 22:33:44

rcblackwell
Website

DNS-323 Rsync Time Machine for PC Backups

An interesting article titled “DNS323 RSync Time Machine!” was posted here on the DNS323 forum. The author, raid123, brought to light some very interesting information regarding use of RSync's hard links.

Following implementation of raid123's method on my NAS I couldn't help but wonder if a similar method could be used to backup data from three Windows based PC's located throughout the household. Following a brief search of the Internet I was pleased to see tools capable of assisting in this regard were available.

Although it's not a complicated process describing such in the forum would not do the process justice. As a result I've created a page in the Wiki to describe the steps necessary to comlete the task.

Please see Wiki paged titled how to:backup_-_pc for detail.

Enjoy!

Bob Blackwell
Pickering, ON

Last edited by rcblackwell (2008-07-01 22:34:39)

Bob Blackwell
Pickering, ON

#2 2008-07-02 18:02:40

blbrown
Website

Re: DNS-323 Rsync Time Machine for PC Backups

Just FYI: You can also use BackupNetClone (http://backupnetclone.sourceforge.net/) to do the same thing.  Initial setup on the DNS-323 is more complicated still though, since I just haven't taken the time to make an install script.

#3 2009-01-08 07:39:44

Mateles

Re: DNS-323 Rsync Time Machine for PC Backups

rcblackwell:  Your tutorial was very useful, thanks for posting it!

The only real issue I had was the underscores in the sample .conf file (ex. "read_only" needed to be "read only").  I'm still new to linux and it was my first time using rsync, and this had me going nuts for a few days.

After I got it working, I found that I couldn't link to the "current" symlink, but I want to use the latest files for the light-weight web based music browser / streamer as well as the built in iTunes server (I make updates on my main pc, then make it all available on the network via the DNS).  So I modified the batch file so that the most current backup is actually named "current" and got rid of the symlink altogether.  During the backup, "current" is renamed to its backup date per LastBkpDate.dat, and the rsync backup creates a new "current" folder.  The only drawback here is that you have to look at the .dat file to see how current you really are.  Anyway, here's the modified part of the batch file in case you or anyone else wants it.

Code:

REM Obtain date of last backup
Rem NOTE: The usebackq attribute is required; it specifies that the new semantics are in force, where a back quoted string is executed
Rem              as a command and a single quoted string is a literal string command and allows the use of double quotes to quote file names in filenameset.
for /F "usebackq tokens=*" %%i in ("%CygwinBackUpPath%/LastBkpDate.dat") do set LastBkpDir=%%i

Rem Rename current directory to its backup date
C:\Cygwin\bin\mv %CygwinBackUpPath%/current %CygwinBackUpPath%/%LastBkpDir%

Rem Establish rsync module name
set modulename=%UserName%@%DNS323Name%::%RSyncModuleName%/current

Rem Perform rsync backup
C:\Cygwin\bin\rsync.exe -arivx -z --link-dest=/%LastBkpDir% --password-file=c:\cygwin\etc\secret %srcpath% %modulename% >> %CygwinBackUpPath%/snapshot.log

Rem Save date of current backup directory; information is required next time batchfile runs
echo %BkpDir% > %DOSBackUpPath%\LastBkpDate.dat

Rem Clean up variables then exit

Board footer