DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-01-12 01:20:48

RichTJ99

What are the benefits of bittorrent on the DNS-323?

Hi,

I am patiently waiting for my DNS-323 to be shipped from Newegg.  I am reading quite a bit to figure out what I am looking to do. 

Right now, I am looking to make sure the jumbo frame rates are turned on (i have a gb network), I am also looking to enable SSH. 

I think Rsync would be able to do a nightly data backup from drive 1 to drive 2 (possibly even other windows drives on the network).

Is it possible to have the DNS 323 see my windows shares?

Oh back to Bittorrent.  What is the point of enabling it on the 323?  What examples are there out there of how to benefit from it? 

Thanks,
Rich

#2 2009-01-12 04:30:26

bq041

Re: What are the benefits of bittorrent on the DNS-323?

Stock, no it is not possible for the DNS to see your windows shares.  The DNS does not support Samba filesystem (not to be confused with the Samba server).  Check /proc/filesystems for mountable filesystems.  If you can find or compile a module for smb filesystem, then you could do it.

I personally see no real benefit to the DNS's bittorrent capabilities.  It has too many issues and vulnerabilities for me.  The advantage would be that you do not need a full size computer running to download bittorrents.

DNS-323     F/W: 1.04b84  H/W: A1  ffp: 0.5  Drives: 2X 400 GB Seagate SATA-300
DNS-323     F/W: 1.05b28  H/W: B1  ffp: 0.5  Drives: 2X 1 TB  WD SATA-300
DSM-G600   F/W: 1.02       H/W: B                Drive:  500 GB WD ATA

#3 2009-01-12 04:44:03

RichTJ99

Hrmm, so the DNS would download the torrents directly instead of your PC (what is the difference)? 

In terms of windows shares.  I run a backup program on my main windows PC, it nightly grabs data from my various drives & network drives (WD Netcenter, WD MBW, other pc's, etc).  Could i have the DNS do those backups with Rsync? 

Or are people using Rsync to backup drive 1 in the DNS to drive 2?

#4 2009-01-12 05:07:21

mitchkramez

I use transmission on my 323, since it's always on, I don't ever have to think about it, or worry about making sure my transfers are still running or seeding. My household his full of laptops so running BT on them doesn't make a lot of sense, but I can see if you already have a dedicated server/machine that you use BT, there wouldn't be alot of use in running it on the 323.

#5 2009-01-12 14:44:36

fordem

Supposedly - running BT on the DNS-323 as against running it on a PC is that the DNS-323 uses a lot less energy than a PC, so if it means you can turn the PC off instead of having it running 24/7, the advantage would be seen in your electricity bill.

#6 2009-01-12 16:54:04

blahsome

Actually an old laptop with a sizable hard drive wouldn't be a bad idea as a download client at all. It offers most flexibility at a comparable power consumption level as the DNS-323 (as long as you turn off the LCD display).

#7 2009-01-12 17:41:08

bdam

Well I think the point is that you already have the DNS-323 and since it's going to be running 24/7 in the majority of setups it makes sense to have it do BT stuff for you.  I wouldn't buy it for that purpose alone but once you have it there's little reason to setup a separate machine to run 24/7 for BT purposes.  Additionally, if you're going to store the files on the DNS-323 anyways then having the client there simplifies the whole thing and takes a bunch of stuff out of the equation.

#8 2009-01-12 17:47:57

toolbox

blahsome wrote:

Actually an old laptop with a sizable hard drive wouldn't be a bad idea as a download client at all. It offers most flexibility at a comparable power consumption level as the DNS-323 (as long as you turn off the LCD display).

old laptop will work but most old laptop doesn't have a "sizeble" hard drive. a 3~4 yr old laptop would have a 60GB drive and not 1.5GB. In addition, most old laptop don't have gigabit network interface card.

#9 2009-01-12 17:54:01

blahsome

I agree that if the BT client on the DNS-323 satisfies one's need, it would be a perfect choice to download stuff. Much lower cost.

My personal experience is that any value-added features on consumer NAS boxes are of limited usability. For example, my DNS-323 experience is as follows:

Network file storage in a home? About perfect.

Print server? Works sporadically at best.
BT client? Too many limitations.
Media servers? Good in concept; many practical problems.
DDNS: received abuse warnings.

Almost all of the value-added features are orders of magnitude simpler on an old laptop. I used to lose a lot of my hairs trying to tweak the DNS-323 to work properly until I started to treat it as what it should be--home network file storage. Likewise, I used to pull my hairs trying to stream stuff to my so-called media extenders such as xbox 360, etc, until I just gave up and built a number of low-cost HTPCs for each of my TV. :-)

#10 2009-01-12 17:54:27

fordem

toolbox wrote:

blahsome wrote:

old laptop will work but most old laptop doesn't have a "sizeble" hard drive. a 3~4 yr old laptop would have a 60GB drive and not 1.5GB. In addition, most old laptop don't have gigabit network interface card.

Are you confusing a download client with a NAS?

There's no need for a download client to have either a humongous hard disk or gigabit ethernet - I'm inclined to ask how large is the file you're downloading and how fast is your internet connection?

#11 2009-01-12 19:02:32

toolbox

fordem wrote:

toolbox wrote:

blahsome wrote:

There's no need for a download client to have either a humongous hard disk or gigabit ethernet - I'm inclined to ask how large is the file you're downloading and how fast is your internet connection?

With the DNS-323, I can torrent stuff and keep the stuff there and available to any and all of PCs. With an old laptop, you can download but you need to move stuff to someplace else once the hard drive is filled.

#12 2009-01-12 21:07:53

kennedy101

I now use the DNS323 as my only torrent client. It's the perfect compromise for functionality and economy. Call it the Toyota Tercel of devices. Yes, it's slower than a PC. Takes around 20 minutes to hash check some files. Under load with multiple torrents the ssh session is a tad sluggish. By no means is it my old P4 3.2 GHz HT with a 680 watt power supply. I am completely willing to trade the extra time and some hits on performace to have the reduced noise in my office and some extra cash when i get my electric bill.

I personally use rtorrent. When my old P4 was running I tried numerous clients and even on that beast I could see performance issues with ALL other clients. rtorrent is a simple command line client that runs off ncurses. After configuring this memory usage was less than 7% (512 total on old P4) and CPU usage was ALWAYS below 7%.

Now that I'm running rtorrent on the NAS I see about 40% memory usage, and around 2% ~~ 40% cpu usage, again depending upon if it's hash checking a file.

Just my two cents. For $180 I FULLY expected this to replace my Ubuntu P4 server that was powered on 24xx7. It has delivered as far as I'm concerned.

Give rtorrent a try. you'll have to hack it and load up the program. But, that almost all the fun of owning this cool little device.

DNS 323 (Hardware B1, Firmware 1.06). 2x 1.5TB Seagate HDs.
Chroot Debain (Lenny) on USB (not reloaded). Edna server. USB print server. USB drives added to samba share. All init.d scripts in place.
Future projects: FFP reloaded then chroot on B1 hardware.

#13 2009-01-12 23:08:36

fordem

toolbox wrote:

fordem wrote:

toolbox wrote:

With the DNS-323, I can torrent stuff and keep the stuff there and available to any and all of PCs. With an old laptop, you can download but you need to move stuff to someplace else once the hard drive is filled.

There's a reason I'm leaving the nested quotes big_smile

You are confusing a download client with a NAS.

A download client is for downloading stuff - the NAS is for storage - you want both in one device.

#14 2009-01-13 04:30:11

toolbox

kennedy101, off topic. what version of rtorrent are you running and are you able to use ntorrent or other third party interface with it? I am running 0.82 and can't get ntorrent to talk to it.
thanks.

#15 2009-01-13 07:08:56

kennedy101

toolbox: I'm running version 0.6.4 of rtorrent. I had not heard of ntorrent until you mentioned it in this thread. A quick google showed a GUI frontend for rtorrent. Let me know if I'm wrong as I just clicked on two links...

My understanding is that this would require some sort of X server which the DNS323 does not support mostly due to cpu limitations. If you're looking for a shortcut to start using rtorrent I would recommed jumping in feet first and embracing the rtorrent command line. I've only been using for about the past 3 months and I've found it to be everybit as powerful as all of the GUI's. After installing it you'll need to edit the .rtorrent.rc (note the leading period, it's there to hide the file). Mostly what you'll need to define is the directory to store your downloads, and where you will put your torrent files (a queue). There are more options, must they are mostly documented.

After editing the .rtorrent.rc file and putting it in your home directory simply issue the rtorrent command. Once the program starts running you can hit the enter key and browse to a torrent manually. Hit the numbers 1 ~~ 7 and it takes you to different screens (main, downloading, completed, hashing, etc).

You'll probably want to embrace another cool tool called screen. What that will allow you to do is keep rtorrent running and then "detach" from your screen. Once detached you can logoff your SSH session and it keeps running. If you have remote access setup you can check updates while away from the house and then detach again. Screen is also a cool tool for the irc client I use on the DNS 323, bitchx. Like rtorrent it's all text based.

Hope this helps.

DNS 323 (Hardware B1, Firmware 1.06). 2x 1.5TB Seagate HDs.
Chroot Debain (Lenny) on USB (not reloaded). Edna server. USB print server. USB drives added to samba share. All init.d scripts in place.
Future projects: FFP reloaded then chroot on B1 hardware.

#16 2009-01-13 07:16:52

toolbox

I installed rtorrent 0.82 per http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/I … ntOnDebain and is using screen with it. The "problem" with screen is that I need to ssh into the machine to check my download status. Other than not able to use ntorrent (or wtorrrnet) with rtorrent, I am very happy with rtorrent under chroot'd debian.

Board footer