DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-01-11 19:41:47

djrobsd

DNS-323 itunes questions (mine is working!! yay!)

Hi guys,

I'm really loving this box, it is a godsend to have a place to store all my goodies on it.  I got 2 1TB hard drives, mirrored. wink

My itunes server works, but there are some limitations, and I'm wondering if there might be a better way do go about serving up my music:

#1 (BIGGEST PAIN) - I can't see where the file is right I right click on the file and select (get info) normally itunes shows you the path and file name.  This would be helpful if I find a file I want to delete in my library (such as a duplicate).  I also can't edit the tags of the files, or delete duplicates, which is a royal pain, as you can imagine with 40,000 mp3 files I've got some dupes! sad

#2 - I can't create any playlists!  When I create a playlist it stores it in my local itunes, and it won't let me drag any files from the DNS-323 over to those playlists.

#3 - I copied about 10,000 more mp3 files to it last night, and they still aren't showing up in itunes even though they are on the disk.  Do I have to do a manual re-scan or will it "eventually" pick the files up?

#4 - Is anyone working on making Simplify work on the DNS-323?  I would love to be able to stream my music to my iphone. wink

Are there other alternatives to itunes for serving up music on this thing?  Would I be better off creating a new itunes library in my local itunes, mapping a network drive, and then adding all the files to it?

#2 2009-01-12 00:54:05

Preacherboy03

Re: DNS-323 itunes questions (mine is working!! yay!)

djrobsd,

I don't have all the answers and I have some of the same questions you posted.  So let me offer some help with what I already know.  Let me start with your third question:

#3 - I copied about 10,000 more mp3 files to it last night, and they still aren't showing up in itunes even though they are on the disk.  Do I have to do a manual re-scan or will it "eventually" pick the files up?

Log into D-Link Configuration; select the Advanced menu option.  In the sub-menu on the left select iTunes Server.  At the top there are three options "Save Settings", "Don't Save Settings", and "Refresh".  When you select "Refresh" the iTunes server will update the complete list of files.  I hope that helps.

As for the following questions, I'm still searching for the answers.  Perhaps if we work together, we might solve them together...good luck with the remaining questions.

Blessings,

Preacherboy03

My itunes server works, but there are some limitations, and I'm wondering if there might be a better way do go about serving up my music:

#1 (BIGGEST PAIN) - I can't see where the file is right I right click on the file and select (get info) normally itunes shows you the path and file name.  This would be helpful if I find a file I want to delete in my library (such as a duplicate).  I also can't edit the tags of the files, or delete duplicates, which is a royal pain, as you can imagine with 40,000 mp3 files I've got some dupes! sad

#2 - I can't create any playlists!  When I create a playlist it stores it in my local itunes, and it won't let me drag any files from the DNS-323 over to those playlists.

#3 2009-01-12 02:03:26

djrobsd

Thanks for the response.  I suspect that the problem might be a limitation with the itunes sharing functionality and the fact that it was designed for read only access to someone else's music library, but who knows. wink

#4 2009-01-12 20:56:00

Preacherboy03

You're probably right.  However, I've been looking at some developments that might allow us the freedom to make the necessary adjustments we're looking for.  As far as I can tell, it's called "fun_plug".  From what I've read, it appears to be a type of software that allows the user to modify the Linux system on the box.  I'm still trying to wrap my mind around all of it.  There is lots of pages related to the topic, but nothing that I can quite make sense out of yet.  I'm still looking for step by step instructions as this will help me understand the method.

Blessings,

Preacherboy03

#5 2009-01-13 02:38:45

ESwaggah

Thanks Preacherboy03, I'm having the same problems with my itunes server, and also the mind wrapping limitation with all this linux stuff as well.  I wish I could comprehend (and I may eventually), but when I try I strain my brain.

Nice to know I'm not the only one.

#6 2009-01-14 14:51:36

Loose Gravel

Preacherboy03 wrote:

As far as I can tell, it's called "fun_plug".  [...]  I'm still trying to wrap my mind around all of it. [...]  I'm still looking for step by step instructions as this will help me understand the method.

Your DNS-323 is a linux server. When you turn it on, its booting a preinstalled linux. Here comes the magic: If your box finds a file "fun_plug" in volume1, it is executed. Normally this file doesn't exist, so nothing happens. But if you create a file "fun_plug" with a command in it (or many command - this is called a script), this command/the script is executed at boottime.

So this means you can run additional Software at boottime. Any software. A better i-tunes Server. A daily backup demon. A mailserver. The sky is the limit.

A much better description can be found here: [http://dns323.kood.org/howto:fun_plug]

Want to do that? Well you don't have to start from scratch. There is a very popular "fun_plug" script created by Fonz, called ffp. ffp is installed quite easily. After installing ffp you can add additional fun-packages like a better i-tunes server. All you need to know is here: [http://dns323.kood.org/howto:ffp]

But be warned: If you want to do this, you will need (to learn) basic linux-knowhow. And you will need to search this forum a lot.

Hope this helps.

Loose Gravel

Board footer