DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-01-15 06:02:04

RichTJ99

Loving the DNS-323 - Very fast! Also so fun_plug questions.

Hi,

I am the proud owner of a DNS-323 with a 1.5 TB drive (just one now).  I have the WD MBW 1 TB & it maybe gets 3mbps & the DNS (Jumbo frame at 9, my nic card at 7) is getting close to 17-18mbps.  Its great & I really like it.  I am thinking of taking the 1TB drive out of the MBW & putting it into the DNS. 

I am planning on using the fun_plug (though I am a little confused on how to install it). 

I turned off the Itunes server (I dont use Itunes), & I do have the UPNP turned on (I have no idea what that is). 

I plan to futz with it more in the next few days.  I am enjoying the knowledge that my raid backup will get backed up on to the DNS this evening!  What a feeling of relief. 

Is there somewhere on the site I can learn about Rsync? 

Does the fun_plug come presetup for telnet & SSH, etc? 

Does the web interface still work after the fun plug? 

THanks,
Rich

#2 2009-01-15 06:32:11

cliaz
Website

Re: Loving the DNS-323 - Very fast! Also so fun_plug questions.

check out http://nas-tweaks.net/CH3SNAS:Tutorials/fun_plug its a great step by step guide to installing ffp (fonz fun_plug) and configuring the basics.

I turned off the Itunes server (I dont use Itunes), & I do have the UPNP turned on (I have no idea what that is).

The UPNP AV server is a media server that will allow devices to see the media in the shared folders (if set up correctly in the dlink web console), and play them via the network.
The problem is, its fairly average, and can only list 30 items at a time, which means if you have lots of media it will all have to be stored folder within folder within folder...never more than 30 items per folder sad
Twonky and Mediatomb are good alternatives, if you're keen for something better.

Does the fun_plug come presetup for telnet & SSH, etc?

it comes with telnet enabled, and the guide above will help you enable ssh and then disable telnet (for security reasons)

Does the web interface still work after the fun plug?

yes, all the remaining functionality remains, ffp does not remove anything.

#3 2009-01-15 06:56:22

RichTJ99

Thanks, I have some reading to do tomorrow for sure! 

I didnt use the guided setup wizard on the DNS.  When it formatted my drive, it made one folder called "Volume_1" & theres a hidden folder there as well.  Should that have setup a shared folder or is Volume1 the shared folder?

If your comfortable with using Windows Explorer (or Ubuntu to explore the network), isnt that the same thing or is this a little different?

I am looking at Twonky.  Is it just a central place to keep my music / videos?  I dont really get the point of it aside from a front end to find all the music. 

Thanks for the help!

Rich

#4 2009-01-15 07:22:57

cliaz
Website

I didnt use the guided setup wizard on the DNS.  When it formatted my drive, it made one folder called "Volume_1" & theres a hidden folder there as well.  Should that have setup a shared folder or is Volume1 the shared folder?

Volume1 is that entire drive - treat it like a shared folder and you're on the right track.
If you put your other HDD in there (the 1TB one), it'll show up as Volume2.

If your comfortable with using Windows Explorer (or Ubuntu to explore the network), isnt that the same thing or is this a little different?

telnet/ssh are terminals, which while also allowing you to browse the file structure (like explorer), have the ability to execute commands etc. Kinda like the DOS prompt (command prompt) is in windows, only more powerful - if that helps.

off the top of my head, one thing you can do with telnet/ssh is faster moving of large files within the DNS itself. Check out http://dns323.kood.org/forum/t2881-Tran … tween.html for why.

I am looking at Twonky.  Is it just a central place to keep my music / videos?  I dont really get the point of it aside from a front end to find all the music.

You know how the xbox360/ps3 can play songs/videos from their local HDDs to the tv screen yea?
They(and other devices like them) can also play media from other devices (such as the DNS) over the network, without great difficulty.
Its not like using a computer and browsing to that folder on the DNS...instead, the DNS will serve that media as shared content to all devices on the network.  It'll effectively broadcast your media as a network resource rather than having to search through folders (as the xbox360 is fairly poor at network browsing in the conventional sense) trying to find files.
http://www.twonkymedia.com/learn.html has more about twonky's features

#5 2009-01-17 06:32:55

RichTJ99

Thanks, I did get everything setup from the how to. 

One of the things i would like to be able to do is use SSH to delete files from the DNS.  I believe it would be much faster to delete it via command. 

I see there are two NFS preinstalled software packages.  Do I need to use NFS?  I looked at the Wiki on it but I still dont quite get what it is or does.  Since there are two ready to go, I assume this is important?

What are people doing with the http server?  I cant figure out what to use it for.

Last edited by RichTJ99 (2009-01-17 06:35:36)

Board footer