DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-01-17 22:46:17

RichTJ99

Samba on the DNS-323? Used with Rsync?

Hi,

I was doing some reading on using Samba.  In laymens terms Samba looks like a software program that allows linux machines to mount windows shares. 

I was thinking I could have my windows server (using the word server lightly) with the share name Raid & have that added to the file system of the DNS323. 

Then nightly the DNS could perform a Rsync backup (just adding the new or changed files). 

Is that what samba & Rsync can be used for?   Is there any type of how to for setting it up? 

Or is it easier to have the windows PC backup its data onto the DNS Volume_1 drive?

Thanks,
Rich

#2 2009-01-18 00:02:21

fonz
Member / Developer
Website

Re: Samba on the DNS-323? Used with Rsync?

Afaict, the DNS-323 firmware cannot mount Windows shares. Samba is used the other way round, i.e. to allow Windows clients to access shares on the DNS-323.
So you can only mount the DNS-323 shares on your Windows server, and use the Windows rsync program to do the backup.

#3 2009-01-18 01:24:46

RichTJ99

Fonz,

I am flattered you got back to me directly.  I am enjoying using your Fun_plug! 

Right now, my DNS-323 is able to share the Volume_1 with my various windows clients.  Is it already running samba to do that?  Is the benefit of Samba that I could make a subfolder within Volume_1 & share that as a separately mapped network drive?

I am confused about Rsync, I was under the impression that it runs on the DNS-323 & it runs via command line letting me tell the DNS what files i would like backed up nightly (or whenever).   Are you saying theres a windows application I can use to tell the DNS what files to back up & where?

Thanks,
Rich

#4 2009-01-18 11:00:54

silversurfer

Yes, the DNS-323 uses the samba server to share folders to the net. You can create several shares, each with its own set of permissions.

For example if you have a directory structure like this:

Code:

/mnt/HD_a2/Rich
            |-> data
                |-> documents
                |-> mp3
                |-> patches

you can share the folder "Rich" to be used by you so you can access all your data and share the folder "mp3" seperately to other users of the NAS, maybe as readonly.

About the Windows rsync I don't know because I don't use it yet. You can certainly use it to automatically backup files from your Windows machine to your NAS. The rsync on the NAS is normally used to backup the data of the NAS to somewhere else.

#5 2009-01-18 20:09:19

RichTJ99

So if my setup is /mnt/HD_a2/Shared  (shared being a new folder on the root of Volume_1) how would I share that as a standalone folder?  I would prefer that Volume_1 itself be left alone & any work being done to be done on thr Shared folder. 

Is that done on the DNS or through the DNS web page?

Is there a specific SSH command to set that as "anyone" can do anything to that folder?

#6 2009-01-18 20:28:38

silversurfer

RichTJ99 wrote:

So if my setup is /mnt/HD_a2/Shared  (shared being a new folder on the root of Volume_1) how would I share that as a standalone folder?  I would prefer that Volume_1 itself be left alone & any work being done to be done on thr Shared folder. 

Is that done on the DNS or through the DNS web page?

You can add shares through the web interface. Read the manual to find out how to do that. You can also change the configuration of samba manually while connected via telnet or ssh. You can even install your own samba server as a replacement of the DLink one. I wouldn't recommend that to a complete linux newbie however - no offense. wink

RichTJ99 wrote:

Is there a specific SSH command to set that as "anyone" can do anything to that folder?

No, there is no such command. You would manually need to change the configuration of samba (the file "smb.conf") to accept guest login on certain shares. This is not supported through the standard web interface of DLink as far as I know.

Board footer