DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-01-01 09:01:54

roli

GGrrrrr DNS Thing

Hi,

Just bought my new DNS 323 a couple of days before xmas but I am having problems.

Set-up: DNS 323 - 2 Segate/Barracuda SaTA 11 300mbps 7200 16mb cache
Hard Drives set up as Volume_1 - Volume_2
Router: D-Link 704up
LAN: 3 computers all running WinXP - LAN run fine
No fancy stuff here - DHCP client enabled - All have read/write access - no passwords.

Problem: At the end of each day I turn off the computers and the DNS 323 and also turn off the power points - when I restart everything the next day my computers are all accessable via LAN but not the DNS 323 - If I put the DLink disk in and  run the wizard all is fine.
Even if I just turn the DNS 323 off and turn it back on  I have to get the disk out and run the wizard again.

It is obviously something I have not done properly when setting it up but nothing I try works except the Dlink disk and the wizard.

Regards
Richard

#2 2008-01-01 09:43:05

fordem

Re: GGrrrrr DNS Thing

You don't need the wizard to map the drives - right click my network places and select map network drive from the resulting menu - make sure the "reconnect at logon" box is checked (I believe that is the default), select a drive letter and a drive and you should be able to see that drive letter in my computer at every startup.

#3 2008-01-01 10:43:57

roli

Hi fordem,

Tried mapping the drives via my network places  got drive letters Y & Z again works ok until I reboot my computer - the drive letters are still there but I just get an error message. Put in the DLink cd and clicked on easy search - highlited the NAS shows Volume_1 & Volume_ 2 but the drive letters have dissapeared.

I then have to go to configeration first then run the wizard then it will let me re map

Re mapped it this time from the easy search box pressed connect - it said Volume_1 mapped to Y drive - Volume_2 mapped to Z drive.

Again works fine untill I reboot the computer or turn off the DNS 323 and restart - then I can't get back into either Y or Z drives and have to start over again.

It just seems that it won't hold the NAS settings

Regards
Richard

#4 2008-01-01 17:09:05

fordem

The problem is unlikely to be the DNS-323 - far more likely to be Windows - did you check the "reconnect at logon" box when you mapped the drives?  All the wizard really does is provide an easy way to locate the ip address the unit is at.

Did you give the DNS a static ip address?  If not you might like to try doing that.

#5 2008-01-01 22:48:37

bgoedel

Hi roli,

if your LAN Router is configured to be a DHCP client, you should configure it to assign always the same IP address to the the MAC address of the NAS. If you're doing so, for instance, 192.168.1.100, you could run a batch file in Start - Programs - Autostart that executes the command

Code:

net use p: \\192.168.1.100\<share> <password> /USER:192.168.1.100\<username> /PERSISTENT:NO

in order to map the Samba <share> (e.g. Volume_1) of the NAS onto drive letter P:
You could even user a <username>/<password> configuration on the NAS

Bernhard

#6 2008-01-01 22:59:33

ronjon

try to startup your windows machine before the ch3snas?

#7 2008-01-01 23:22:08

roli

Hi Guys

I have tried everything - Static ip address - start the NAS first - last - tried mapping ect - checked my router it shows the NAS - have tried setting the NAS up via different computers.

The annoying part is it works fine untill I reboot one or any of the computers or restart the NAS then nothing it dosn't show up under my networks

I really don't need to map it to a drive letter as I ony access it via network connections - but that should not make any difference anyway.

As soon as I put the Dlink cd in and run the wizard and save it works again - I can run the wizard on any computer and it will work again - so it can't be a computer thing - there has to be a reason why it will not hold/save the settings - because there is no logical reason why when I restart a computer - any computer that the dam thing won't work on any of the computers untill I run the cd again

frustrated

Richard

#8 2008-01-02 02:38:42

fordem

I just want to clarify something here - what you appear to be saying is that if you have the drive mapped on all computers and you reboot any one computer the drive is no longer inacessible from the remaining computers?

Is that correct?!?

#9 2008-01-02 09:24:15

roli

Hi Fordem

Thats correct thats what happens when I map the drives.

I am using the NAS to store our hire rental database on so basically the way I want it set up is Not to map the drives to drive letters but to just have it under Network Connections and I put a shortcut to the dbase on each computer - this saves the girls in the office the worry about which drive it is on ect.

It does not matter which way I set them up the bottom line is that if I restart any of the computers I cannot access the NAS  from any of the computers - same thing if I switch off the NAS then turn it back on again I can not get back into the NAS unless I us the Dlink cd and re-run the wizard
Note when I re-run the wizard I don't change anything I just keep clicking next till it gets to the end and then save - then I can click on the shortcut to the database and away we go on all computers untill next time.

Richard

#10 2008-01-02 10:15:13

roli

Just done some more testing - when I reboot any of the computers or the NAS then go into network connections and look under workgroup - the 3 computers plus the NAS will show but no Volume_1 or Volume_2 and if I click on the Nas I get the error:

\\NAS is not accessible you might not have permission to use this network resourse. The Network Path was not Found.

put in the Dlink cd run the wizard again all working again - this time I did not reboot - I decided to check the router so I pulled the power supply out - then plugged it in again and checked the my networks - Workgroup and the 3 computers shoed as always But the NAS did not show up at all

Could it be somthing with the router

Richard

#11 2008-01-02 14:19:31

fordem

Try using search and enter the name of the NAS and see what happens.

I think it may have something to do with what is called a "browsemaster", which is how Windows handles naming in a workgroup environment.

In a Windows domain there is a "domain controller" that manages things, in a workgroup there is no defined "controller", and so the equipment in the workgroup have to keep track of one another using a different method, and this is done by selecting (or electing) one of the systems to be a controller known as the browsemaster.

By the way - I don't think it's the router, and unplugging or resetting the router is not a good way to identify it as the culprit if you're using it as the only switch in the network - what you're doing there is completely disrupting all network communications.  If you're looking at the computers when you do it, you'll probably see popup windows saying a network cable has been disconnected or something along those lines.

#12 2008-01-02 15:25:21

kymlp

BTW, there is another thread in here (I just can't find it at the moment) that discussed having to "touch" the network access parameters after a reboot of the DNS in order for drives to be mapped. Note this is after a reboot of the DNS, not a reboot of other PCs.

#13 2008-01-02 17:54:36

frodo

Have you tried to access it by IP?

I.e \\192.168.1.xxx\Volume_1 this should skip the issue with the browse master. That is if all your machines runs a modern version of Windows.

#14 2008-01-03 10:34:59

roli

Hi all

found this at http://dns323.kood.org/information:known_issues - it pretty much what my probs are so not sure where to go from here

Share not accessible after reboot
Firmware: 1.02b, 1.03
Severity: High
D-Link correction: N/A
Description: After the DNS was booted it is not possible to access any network shares. You need first to log on to the DNS, go to the NETWORK ACCESS section and “touch” at least one rule. Still not corrected in FW 1.03…
Workaround: telnet to the device and issue smb restart

* can anyone actually confirm this issue? My DNS-323 runs firmware 1.03 and if I reboot the machine, I can access network shares via SMB without logging in to the machine…

confirmed, did not know about network access fix, just ran the wizard every time and restarted the dns
Also confirmed - Win XP SP2 / DND-323 1.03 Raid1 500GB HDD x 2 - smb restart also works as documented.

* I have firmware 1.03 and after a “normal” reboot I can access network shares without logging into the machine, but after a power blackout I have to go to the NETWORK ACCESS section as described above. *

Update: 25-Aug-07; Paul from D-Link tech support in Australia helped resolve this issue by doing the following:
[My setup is DNS323 FW v1.03 with static IP of 192.168.1.199 and a netbios name of “dns323” going into a WRT54G @ 192.168.1.2. The gateway is set to 192.168.1.2 on the DNS323]

Richard

#15 2008-01-03 13:34:52

frodo

If you read all the follow ups on that issue it is basicly as fordem and I suggested. Its an issue with browse master. Did you try the workaround suggested in that issue. I.e assign a static Ip to the dns and edit your lmhost.

Did you try to access the dns directly via the IP?

#16 2008-01-03 22:19:21

roli

Hi

Powered on the computers and the nas this morning go to  - My Network Places - Workgroup  only the computers show no Nas - rebooted the Nas go to - My Network Places - Workgroup now the Nas shows but no Volume_1 or Volume_2.

Tried to access the dns directly vie the IP \\192.168.1.xxx\NAS\Volume_1 got windows can't find ect - if I just put in \\192.168.1.xxx I get the NAS Login box

Did you try the workaround suggested in that issue. I.e assign a static Ip to the dns and. - Do you assign the static IP address from the Router DL-704up or the NAS as both seem to be able to do it - I assigned it from the NAS which was the same settings as on the router for the NAS???

and edit your lmhost - done a search and found Imhost opened it in wordpad it seemed to be a how to document - is this where I edit it

Richard

#17 2009-01-25 10:35:50

a93299

bgoedel's solution worked like a charm! I created a "dns323 fix.bat"-file by writing this in notepad and then renaming:

net use p: \\192.168.0.xxx\Volume_1 /PERSISTENT:NO (where xxx is my dns' fixed ip, and I only have one drive and no password access)

Greetz go out to all you guys who obviously should get more paid than dlinks tech staff :p

#18 2009-01-25 19:25:58

fordem

What that command does is simply "re-map" the drive(s) - in short you have a Windows problem, and we're right back to the "browsemaster".

Board footer