DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-12-22 08:44:19

gomcse2002

May I know is this transfer speed consider to be Normal ??

Hi to all

I am a newbie of NAS, so please bear with me if I ask some silly questions here.

Got a brand new DLINK NAS DNS-323 from Future Shop last nite and flash the firmware to version 1.05. Insert a brand new WD 500GB SATA2 32mb cache Hard Drive into the NAS, format it and works as I expect. My current set up is as follows:

My main PC is running on Vista Ultimate and using wireless connection and connect to a NetGear wireless N router, WNR834B. My new DNS-323 was plug into one of the port of my wireless router. When I attempt to transfer 4GB data from my data drive on my main PC to the mapped Z drive on the DNS-323, the speed transfer rate is between 2.5MB/sec to 4.48MB/Sec. May I know is this normal ? If I want to improve the situation, should I plug my main PC network card to the wireless router instead ?

Please kindly advise.

Many thanks for your help in advance.

#2 2008-12-22 13:33:55

marty
Website

Re: May I know is this transfer speed consider to be Normal ??

For a wireless link, this seems to be okay.
If you want try to reach higher speeds, try connecting via cable, not via wireless.

#3 2008-12-22 14:29:25

fordem

What's normal for my network, may not be normal for yours - especially when wireless networking is involved - the throughput on a wireless network can be affected in a major fashion by the surrounding environment, both physical and electrical - it's easier to predict wired speeds, and yes, if you want maximum throughput

For a wired network - if it's gigabit, you can see speeds of upto 22 MB/sec and if it's 10/100 anywhere from 8~10 MB/sec.
For wireless I'd guess 2.2 MB/sec for wireless-g, upto maybe 6 MB/sec or therabouts for wireless-n - when I say upto, I mean it could be less, significantly less.

Also - these are the numbers you'll see transferring large files - if you transfer a single 4GB file it will go much, much quicker than if you transfer 1000 x 4MB files.

#4 2008-12-22 19:38:31

jhorsnel

I'm just now doing a copy from one DNS323 with twin seagate 750G drives to another DNS323 with twin 1.5TB drives.  Both are RAID-0 with jumbo frames at 9k.   The pair are chatting via a 100Mb router and the pc managing the copy is a T7200 cpu with 2G ram running Vultimate.

The throughput is currently just under 40GB per hour based on a 3.5 hour runtime (and continuing...).

Interestingly the 1.5TB box has its fan running while the 3TB box does not...    both are on 1.06 firmware.
Temps are 48c on both boxes...

J.

#5 2008-12-22 20:32:50

Mijzelf
Member / Developer

#jhorsnel: Why are you using a pc? The boxes can do this on their own.

#6 2008-12-23 16:09:59

jhorsnel

Mijzelf wrote:

#jhorsnel: Why are you using a pc? The boxes can do this on their own.

Partly because I haven't tried that and as yet don't know how that would work, maybe I should investigate.
But mostly because this isn't something I do often (once every six months or more maybe).
Besides, I drag, I drop, I walk away, what could be easier?

The biggest improvement I'll see next time is getting the 100Mb bottleneck out of the equation.
Currently the 1.5TB box is on my 100Mb router but the 3TB box is on my Gb switch.
It's just a matter of logistics and cable routing...

#7 2008-12-23 22:17:51

gazoo

fordem wrote:

What's normal for my network, may not be normal for yours - especially when wireless networking is involved - the throughput on a wireless network can be affected in a major fashion by the surrounding environment, both physical and electrical - it's easier to predict wired speeds, and yes, if you want maximum throughput

For a wired network - if it's gigabit, you can see speeds of upto 22 MB/sec and if it's 10/100 anywhere from 8~10 MB/sec.
For wireless I'd guess 2.2 MB/sec for wireless-g, upto maybe 6 MB/sec or therabouts for wireless-n - when I say upto, I mean it could be less, significantly less.

Also - these are the numbers you'll see transferring large files - if you transfer a single 4GB file it will go much, much quicker than if you transfer 1000 x 4MB files.

I have a 200 GB mirrored DNS323 setup. I'm going from a windows vista ultimate x86 machine to the DNS on gigabit Ethernet and I'm getting a max of 17MB/sec. Is that an OK or 'normal' speed? Can't seem to get better than that.

Oh, I was getting about 9MB/s on XP on a 100 Base T connection.

Last edited by gazoo (2008-12-23 22:21:26)

#8 2008-12-23 23:19:20

fordem

[Shakes head in disbelief]

You quoted my post, I'd have to assume you at least read it ...

- does it not say, what's normal for my network may not be normal for yours?
- does it not say for gigabit you can see speeds of up to 22 MB/sec and that upto means it could be less?

With a 10/100 mbps network, the network itself is often the limiting factor, limiting you to approximately 10MB/sec  - remove that limit by switching to gigabit and it becomes virtually impossible to predict the transfer speeds - which would need to take into consideration the speed of your drives, the speed of the interfaces, levels of fragmentation etc. - at both ends of the transfer - in short, the computer you're transferring data from has an impact - even the file size has an impact - try transferring a 3GB file and then transfer 1000x3MB files and watch your transfer speed take a nose dive.

There is just not enough information and no way to crunch the numbers to tell you what is OK or 'normal'

[/shakes head in disbelief]

#9 2008-12-29 19:16:19

gazoo

I was stating my speeds for the OP's benefit, but also left a little room to make double sure there's nothing wrong by adding the interrogation mark.  [/unshakes head for you]

#10 2009-01-29 09:45:55

cerk2006

fordem wrote:

hello, this is my first post on this form, since I am a freas owner of NAS323.
May I ask fordem regarding the stated speeds. Here is my situation and can't get close to 22MBps...

In my local network I have gigabit Linksys 5-port GIGA switch (SD2005-EU) to which a PC is connected (w/ Level One, GNC-0105T gigabit card), D-Link NAS323 (w/ Seagate 1.5TB HDD SATA2) and off course PCHA110. The main reason for an upgrade is to increase transfer speeds between the PC and NAS since the 100Mbit network is a bit slow for transferring larger files … I am using CAT 5e cables. The cables lengths are the following: Switch <-> NAS cca 1m, switch <-> PC cca 15meters.

But the problem is that the transfer speeds do not exceed 115Mbit/s . That's a POOR performance gain over 100bps network. I honestly expect them to be around 200-300Mbps…

Then, I managed to enable the jumbo frames (JF) on the NAS and PC. Even though the Linksys doesn't officially support the JF, the communication between devices (including PCH) was/is flawless.

I have set the JF to 9000 and then to 6000bytes. The result is that by setting the JF to 9000 bytes the transfer rate did increase to about 15.5MBps. I recorded just a bit slower rate with JF at 6000Bytes. So at least some improvement after all, but still far from my expectations...
This was achieved by using explorer to copy the files from PC to NAS.

Surprisingly, by using FTP (Filezilla) the speed was at first around 20-23MBps!!, but then it started to decrease and finally dropped (at the end of file copy) to around 15MBps. Why is that? Will try also smartftp, since usually I got a bit better results with it...

So, would you please post a guide how to get to 22!! Please.

BR
Uros

#11 2009-01-29 14:48:58

fordem

Uros

I can't tell you how to get to 22, and even if I could, I don't think it would make a significant difference - unless your real world usage of the NAS co-incidentally matches your test conditions.

Even though I can transfer data as high as 28~29MB/sec, my real world usage (backup) averages 0.5 MB/sec - you might not see as dramatic a difference as I do, but you will probably see a significant one.  My testing is done with single files 2GB is size, but real world usage I have no control of the file sizes and there are thousands of small files in the data sets.

When looking at file transfer speeds you need to look at the entire picture - which looks something like this ....

DISK1<->SATA<->Disk controller<->Expansion bus<->NIC1<->CAT5e<->Network Switch<->CAT5e<->NIC2<->Expansion bus<-> Disk controller<->Interface<->DISK2

Your transfer is going to be limited by which ever of those components is the slowest - you cannot look at the DNS-323 and the network and just ignore the computer at the other end.

Drive rpm - 5400, 7200, 10,000, 15,000 - it makes a difference, network cards - I have seen gigabit network cards that cannot transfer faster than 170 mbps, file sizes - transferring a single 2GB file is much much quicker than transferring 1000x2MB files, even though it's the same 2GB of data, disk fragmentation - a fragmented disk will have a noticeable negative impact on throughput.

As an example ...

My desktop - a Dell Optiplex GX280 gives - 9.65MB/sec writes and 16.34 MB/reads, wheras my server - an IBM x206 gives 12.76MB/sec writes and 20.87 MB/sec reads, enable jumbo frame (9000bytes) and the server will give 17.75 MB/sec writes and 27.28 MB/sec reads - the only changes made were to run the test from a different computer and to enable/disable jumbo frame on the server.

As you can see the hardware at the other end can make a major difference - but - I deliberately didn't describe the hardware, you didn't and few people seem to consider it.  To actually make this comparison meaningful you need to know quite a bit more about the hardware.

The Optiplex GX280 has a 3GHz HT P4, a gigabyte or RAM, a Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx ethernet controller (no jumbo frame) and a 7200rpm 80GB Maxtor SATA drive, the IBM x206 has the same processor and memory, but an Intel PRO/1000MT ethernet controller (jumbo frame supported) and a pair of 7200 rpm Seagate Barracuda 250GB drives in a RAID1 array.

Server grade equipment, even low end server is optimized for network transfers, desktops are not - their primary function is the productivity applications that they are used with.

Last edited by fordem (2009-01-29 18:03:12)

Board footer