DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-04-16 07:03:35

DisposableHero

How to log into password protected folder?

Ive setup a user and set a folder to only be available to the certain user.. Im using vista and when i click on the folder it asks for my username and password.. no matter what i put it doesnt let me view the folder..

anyone have any luck?

#2 2007-04-16 08:10:25

Nathan1_

Re: How to log into password protected folder?

Vista is using different authentication methods than XP... I don't know if there is a solution to this problem as it stands right now.  I might be mistaken but I think there is a way to "addon" the old authentication methods and force it use them but I don't remember the specifics of how to do this or what they are called.

This is a problem affecting all *nix -> vista.

Last edited by Nathan1_ (2007-04-16 08:10:59)

#3 2007-04-16 17:22:04

Xepol

Re: How to log into password protected folder?

Vista uses stronger, non reversible passwords.  You can actually set XP to work this way as well, but practically no one does, conversly you can set Vista to use the lower security (again, no one in their right mind does.  If you are in an administered domain, you might not be able change this, as it is part of the local policy which is typically overrode by domain policies). 

This isn't a Vista problem so much as Samba problem.  For whatever reason, it has not as yet caught up with the new security settings that have been available litterally for years.  If I had to guess, I would suggest that the GNU license has its sticky little feet involved here once again restricting what programmers and you can do (anyone who thinks GNU is about freedom obviously hasn't seen the result of ANY attempts to mix MS and the L word)

Last edited by Xepol (2007-04-16 17:23:26)

Board footer