DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-08-17 17:52:04

edward3h

printing from MacBook

In case it helps anyone: we were having problems getting my wife's MacBook to print to the server, but after we installed the latest Gutenprint drivers it works.

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3

So the steps on the MacBook were:
- Download and install Gutenprint 5.0.1
- Run 'Printer Setup Utility'
- Add printer, choose 'IP Printer'
- Press 'option' key while clicking 'More Printers...' button at the bottom. This is necessary to see the advanced options.
- Choose 'Windows Printer via Samba'
- enter the samba path 'smb://dns323name/lp' where 'dns323name' is the hostname of your box. And the last bit is lowercase LP
- choose the right printer model, Canon ip4300 in our case.

#2 2007-08-25 04:16:18

teflonrico

Re: printing from MacBook

Hi There, being a recent convert to the OSX way of life i have been pulling my hair out trying to get my macbook pro to print using my DNS-323. Your solution above helped me solve the problem and all is working now. I just had to say thanks.

#3 2007-08-26 14:22:54

zzmanlh

Hello world,

Thanks for your input Edward, I tried using Gutrprint drivers but still my printer model (HP Deskjet F380) is not shown in the list of printers. Thus, my Mac won't still print using my DNS-323. Anyone, pls help...

#4 2007-11-11 03:46:51

BillD

I was finally able to set up a printer in 10.5 Leopard.

The default OSX printer setup steps didn't work for me. I had to set the printer up in a more UNIX manner. The only thing that needed to be modified is the URI.

Go to http://localhost:631/. This is the UNIX printer GUI.

Either set up a new printer or modify an existing printer. Follow the prompts setting up a SAMBA printer and when you get to the URI input set it to smb://your.DNS-323.ip.address/lp

Setting up the URI with a numeric address and no port number seemed to solve my problems.

#5 2008-11-30 02:36:58

Chadest

Finally able to print to my Canon MX310 connected to the DNS-323 from two Macs, 10.4.11 & 10.5.5
I successfully printed with both methods below.

Mac OS 10.4.11
Windows Printing
- System Prefs > Print & Fax > Add a printer (+ button)
- Clicked 'More Printers' button (no holding down option key for advanced)
- Choose 'Windows Printing' & 'Workgroup' from drop downs.
- It found & displayed my device in the list pane below, I selected it and click 'Choose'
- Workgroup changed to my device name, the list pane updated to show the printer as 'lp - USB printer'
- Select the printer, choose a driver thats close to your actual model.*
- Click add and you're done.

Windows via SAMBA
- Holding down option key, clicked 'More Printers' button
- Choose 'Advanced' at the bottom of the first drop down and 'Windows Printer via SAMBA' from the second
- In the Device Name field, Name your printer what ever you want. I called mine MX310 via SAMBA
- Device URL: smb://YourDNS-323name/lp   The name is whatever you chose to call the DNS-323 when you set it up. This is how it appears under Network in a finder window and whatever is in the Device Settings, Name field in the D-link web interface. I don't know what lp stands for or why you have to use it, but thats what works.
- Choose a driver thats close to your actual model.*

Mac OS 10.5.5
Windows Printing
- Clicked 'Windows' icon for Windows printing
- In the 3 column list pane, I clicked my workgroup, device name (it prompted me for my password), and lp printer
- Name the printer
- Choose a driver thats close to your actual model.*

*There wasn't a driver for my printer series, but a few that were similar worked out. I downloaded the Gutenprint drivers for an updated set: http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php    This allows me to print, but its not the actual printers driver or even a Canon driver, so functions are seem limited.

#6 2009-02-19 01:34:20

dubus

which drivers did you use? I'm trying to get my gf's computer up and running. I have a canon ip1800 which doesn't appear to be on the supported list for, and even though i had it installed on her computer last week the drive doesn't show up on my standard pick list either. i was goin to try this one out later, but wondered which drivers gave you best success when your's werent available.

#7 2009-02-20 00:45:33

dubus

Ok, I can't find anything close to a proper driver for the ip1800, so i guess Im sol unless I can get a generic printer driver for canon ij's that might work for mac 10.4.11

Last edited by dubus (2009-02-20 01:15:25)

Board footer