DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-03-12 03:19:45

KottonM0uthKing4

DNS-323 streaming to PS3

Hello,

I finally got my NAS streaming to my PS3.  I have ripped some of my DVDs to a single VOB file.  The file is 7 or 8 Gigs.  I transferred the file to my DNS-323 and went to my PS3 to play it.  It plays! But only half of the movie will play.  When I stream that exact file from my laptop to my PS3, the entire film will play.

Ok... here are my questions.  Why is this happening? Is it because the DNS-323 is FAT32?  Is there a size limit on single VOB files? Has anyone else had this problem and has fixed it?

Please help! I have spent too much time trying to figure this out! school is suffering big_smile

#2 2008-03-12 04:57:52

KottonM0uthKing4

Re: DNS-323 streaming to PS3

Ok So I determined that the dns-323 uses an ext3 file structure.  It sounds like this file structure should be able to handle an 8 gig file being streamed to my ps3.  Also my laptop was able to play the entire movie--and it was getting the stream from my NAS

#3 2008-03-12 10:11:31

sjmac

Sorry, I don't have a PS3, but others on this board have: try searching for PS3 and see what you get ...

With recent firmware in your DNS323 (1.03 or 1.04) the disk format is ext2 (file sizes up to at least 2048 GB).

I didn't have much luck with the internal upnp server (I could only see the first 30 items in any list from my players), so I use twonky which claims PS3 support: http://www.twonkymedia.com/

The twonky server download for the DNS323 is at http://www.twonkyvision.com/Download/Tw … cians.html

Twonky media is a paid for product (if you haven't paid then after 30 days uptime you'll need to reboot your DNS323), others on this board have reported success with mediatomb and ushare which are free. Again, search around.

Once problem that I had was that the internel upnp server gets restarted even if you have set it "disabled" in the admin UI, so I have these lines run from my fun_plug script:

Code:

echo "* Stop native UPnP server" >>${LOGFILE}
kill `pidof upnp` >>${LOGFILE}

echo "* make sure native UPnP doesn't get up by removing the symlink to its i
rm /sys/custom/upnp >>${LOGFILE}

Good luck,
Steven

Last edited by sjmac (2008-03-12 12:54:58)

#4 2008-03-12 11:41:47

oxygen
Website

I have a PS3 and streaming works like charm. ATM i'm using a self compiled mediatomb. But the Standard upnp works also fine. Ok, I don't stream VOB Files (why streaming if you have the disc?), just DivX and SVCDs files.

#5 2008-03-12 12:32:56

HaydnH

There's a compiled version of mediatomb on the forum which supports streaming to the PS3 for music & video, search for mediatomb or posts by me...

#6 2008-03-12 12:34:04

sjmac

When you use the built in upnp, do you see more than 30 items in the list?

Also, as you now use mediatomb, have you disabled the built in upnp?

Does it keep getting started anyway after a day or so?

#7 2008-03-12 12:59:08

HaydnH

I don't use the internal upnp server at all so I can't answer your first question. I do have it disabled and it doesn't get restarted on it's own though.

#8 2008-03-12 21:08:01

KottonM0uthKing4

I am using FW 1.04.  I am also using the internal upnp service, and I can see more than 30 items on the list.  I found that the jump from 1.03 to 1.04 really improved the upnp.  However, my PS3 does not register that upnp is active, but it still works.

I am putting VOBs on my NAS because I don't have enough shelving for my DVDs.  I also have surround sound, and other HD components, and I do not want to compress my DVDs.  I could build additional shelving on the wall, or use a media cabinet... but instead, I installed cat-6 wall plates behind my TV, ran a few cat-6 cables underneath my house to my various computers, and then connected them all to a router.  I am making the move to a complete wired-networked home, where each computer acts as a media server.  I then keep different media on each computer, as different servers.

When this is all installed I plan on packing up my DVDs, and storing them in the garage big_smile That way I have more shelving space for Blu-rays!

So it looks like any file that a bigger than 2gb will stream up to the 2gp point, then stop.  Well that's good to know.  I am going to put all my TV shows on my NAS, so that each episode is under 2gb, that way I can keep the original quality

Thanks!

#9 2008-03-16 15:48:44

mihar

KottonM0uthKing4 wrote:

I am using FW 1.04.  I am also using the internal upnp service, and I can see more than 30 items on the list.  I found that the jump from 1.03 to 1.04 really improved the upnp.  However, my PS3 does not register that upnp is active, but it still works.

I am putting VOBs on my NAS because I don't have enough shelving for my DVDs.  I also have surround sound, and other HD components, and I do not want to compress my DVDs.  I could build additional shelving on the wall, or use a media cabinet... but instead, I installed cat-6 wall plates behind my TV, ran a few cat-6 cables underneath my house to my various computers, and then connected them all to a router.  I am making the move to a complete wired-networked home, where each computer acts as a media server.  I then keep different media on each computer, as different servers.

When this is all installed I plan on packing up my DVDs, and storing them in the garage big_smile That way I have more shelving space for Blu-rays!

So it looks like any file that a bigger than 2gb will stream up to the 2gp point, then stop.  Well that's good to know.  I am going to put all my TV shows on my NAS, so that each episode is under 2gb, that way I can keep the original quality

Thanks!

I think you just found out the answer for yourself... The PS3 has a 2gb limitation on video files... Do what i do and just split the video into equal parts...

#10 2008-04-05 22:03:31

jankovig

I've installed two 1TB as separate physical volumes not JBOD. I can view photos and stream mp3
on my PS3, but not divxs.
Photos and mp3 are stored on Volume_1 and divx on Volume_2. DNS firmware
is upgraded to 1.04. I've enabled uPNP on PS3 and NAT is set to level2.
What am I missing/doing wrong?
Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

#11 2008-04-05 22:26:21

mihar

jankovig wrote:

I've installed two 1TB as separate physical volumes not JBOD. I can view photos and stream mp3
on my PS3, but not divxs.
Photos and mp3 are stored on Volume_1 and divx on Volume_2. DNS firmware
is upgraded to 1.04. I've enabled uPNP on PS3 and NAT is set to level2.
What am I missing/doing wrong?
Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

What exactly is the error code you're getting? Or specifically, what does not work with divx? I have tons of video files encoded with different codecs, divx, xvid, h264 etc and they're all streaming fine and playing fine on my ps3...

BTW, as of PS3 firmware 2.20, the 2gb limitation for Divx encoded files has been removed... Other types of video files are still affected by the 2gb limit...

Last edited by mihar (2008-04-05 22:27:57)

#12 2008-12-29 20:40:25

namrednow

UPGRADE TO FIRMWARE 1.06 RELEASED TODAY...

http://support.dlink.com/products/view. … =DNS%2D323

I can now finally browse through more than 30 items :-)

#13 2009-01-06 01:45:51

TrxR

Can the PS3 read all the way through a movies without stopping if if you leave  the vob files separate instead of making 1 big VOB?

Thanks

#14 2009-02-18 19:04:42

Brazen

TrxR wrote:

Can the PS3 read all the way through a movies without stopping if if you leave  the vob files separate instead of making 1 big VOB?

Thanks

Yes... and no.  ;]    The latest PS3 firmware will play all files in a folder consecutively, if you set it in your PS3's system options, located in the XMB.  But... there will be a slight delay between files due to loading times, etc.  If setup accordingly, you should be able to watch an entire directory (or menu catagory) w/o any user intervention.

Now... the PS3 filesize topic...... the PS3 itself is NOT limited to <2gb, <4gb, <8gb, etc filesize limits! (there is a limit, can't remember what, but the average user should NOT be affected)  This means you can both stream large files to the PS3 or play a large file copied to the PS3's HHD w/o incident.  The ONLY concerning filesize limit with the PS3, is if you need to connect a USB stick or USB external HDD to the PS3.  Since it HAS to be formatted in Fat32 to be recognized by the PS3, you ARE restricted to the FAT32 file system's <4gb limitation (2^32)-1 byte.  The funny thing is.... if you ever require a PS3 back-up (ie: swapping HDD's) and use an external USB HDD, the PS3 will create a HUGE image of it's internal HDD on that FAT32 external HDD!

Oh... and concerning incorrect file sizes being reported to the PS3's XMB from a streaming device (ie: DNS-323)... this is in fact TRUE!  I get this all the time and I have a little insight on this. (not much though)  It seems that only certain files react like this.  Actual filesize doesn't seem to matter (4gb, 8gb, etc), and all files are playable on the PC as well as streamed to the PS3 or played from the PS3 hdd.  Also, all files are level 4.1 and AC3 640 5.1 audio.  Again... perfect for the PS3! (I use tsmuxergui to create .m2ts files from all .mkv's.)  Since no transcoding is required in this format, the media servers simply stream them to your devices (PS3).  Unfortunately... since the XMB only sees, let's say 1.5g out of 4.5g, the movie will just stop once it hits that filesize.  very annoying to say the least!

I've investigated the problem files via MediaInfo but nothing obvious looks out of place.  If I stream using a media server that does NOT support transcoding (ie: twonky or the built-in uPNP on DNS-323, or non-transcoding servers for the PC like WMP11) this phenomenon occours on numerous, playable files.  Now... if I use something like PS3 Media Server or tVersity on the PC (both support on-the-fly transcoding) the file's size reports correctly in the PS3's XMB, they play all the way to the end, and all the server is doing is streaming... not transcoding!  It makes no damn sense, but it must have something to do with the way the source was encoded to begin with.  If I encode a source .mkv file myself in .x264/AC3 via MeGUI, they work fine.

Of course... this really sucks for me since the goal of dropping hundreds of $$$ on the DNS-323 plus 2 x 500gb, 32mb Seagates, was to ween my streaming from the PC teet!  Someone more unix-literate than I needs to look into porting over PSM (PS3 Media Server) to the DNS-323 ARM architecture.  It's a fanatstic lil freeware (w/source) server run on the JAVA platform.  The only unknown here is... does the lil 323 have enough processing power to transcode on the fly<?>   ;]

Brazen

#15 2009-02-22 13:05:29

mcflyyy

TrxR wrote:

The only unknown here is... does the lil 323 have enough processing power to transcode on the fly<?>   ;]

Brazen

Too slow for transcode !

The author of Ps3 media server recommends a Core 2 duo neutral

Board footer