DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-02-25 22:08:30

mldowney

Slow data access from DNS-323 on XP-only LAN

Looking for help/suggestions tshooting LAN issue.  Installed DNS-323 to replace an old P4/WinXP "peer server" PC used primarily to host data for a 4 user LAN; main application is a multi-user professional tax prep program called Lacerte (an Intuit product).  With up to 2 simultaneous users things work OK; as soon as the third user begins to access the shared database everyone slows down dramatically (e.g. changing from one input screen to another, say from income to depreciation schedules, goes from under 5 seconds to between 30 seconds and 1 minute).  The DNS-323 has the latest (1.06) firmware; dual 500gb SATAII hds setup as JBOD (sync data from drive 1 to drive 2 nightly).  I've tried moving to gigabit adapters in the PCs w/ a gigabit switch, both with and without jumbo frames enabled (no difference).  But with all other elements remaining the same (same PCs, same LAN, same database), hosting the database on an XPSP3 P4 PC removes the problem.  I'm assuming this must have something to do with how Lacerte's database access technology interacts with the SAMBA implementation in the DNS-323 (I think it involves frequent transfers of a larger number of smaller files vs. the infrequent transfers of a smaller number of larger files most posts seem to be concerned with), but I haven't yet encountered anything similar from other posts on the 'net.  Any ideas?

#2 2009-02-25 22:33:20

blahsome

Re: Slow data access from DNS-323 on XP-only LAN

Are you hosting the database or just the data files on the DNS-323? I'm a little confused. Sorry I'm not that familiar with Lacerte's architecture.

#3 2009-02-25 22:39:04

mldowney

Re: Slow data access from DNS-323 on XP-only LAN

The DNS-323 hosts the database and files that govern universal program options (e.g. paths to data, print defaults, etc.); each workstation has all programs, dlls, etc. installed locally and has the shared folder on the DNS-323 mapped to the same local drive letter.

Board footer