DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-03-04 13:27:44

scaleman

DNS-323 locks up explorer

I have a D-LINK DNS-323 with dual WD 1TB green drives RAIDed. Firmware 1.06.
All computers in the house are XP SP2.

I have some computers that I wanted to reinstall the OS on, so I copied all my important directories over to the NAS box.
There are a lot of pictures. In all three directories create d plus general computer stuff.

The problems the DND-323 is having is that when I click on any of the folders in windows explorer, it locks up right away. Actually it recovers after about a minute. What it appears to be happening is that it takes a long time to create  a directory listing. After the minute has passed I browse through the folders fine. If I hit the back button and go back to the root of the directory it locks up for about a minute.

Only the folders that I backed up are doing this, and they are large with a deep directory structure.

Other folders where I have copied some movies to are not doing this. It seems to be only directories with deep directory structures.

Once again this locks up as soon I click on the root folder.
It appears windows must do a complete directory listing even though I am not double clicking the folder to get a directory listing. It does this on 2 different computers.

Out of fairness to the DSN-232 I did a files properties on the folder and lists:

90GB
61000 files 8601
folders.

So I don't know if this a problem with the DNS-232, or if this type of application is not well suited for a NAS box.

Is it a correct assumption that Windows must catalog the entire folder every time I click on it (not double click)?

So every time the NAS must tranfer the entire directory structure?

If the same files are copied to an external USB drive I don't have this problem.

Any comments?

#2 2009-03-05 10:34:01

SweMart

Re: DNS-323 locks up explorer

Try accessing the DNS-323 using the IP instead of the netbios name, i.e. try mapping \\ip\volume_1

#3 2009-03-05 21:39:22

DarkHorseDre

Scaleman, there are many problems with windows and accessing remote drives.

Firstly, map the drive with the IP as SweMart says, as NETBIOS has a host of problems worthy of another topic here!

I would doubt there is a problem with the DNS as Windows enumerates the list of files on drives when you access explorer, sometimes pre-emptively, which can cause delay.  different drives will respond in different times (USB, DVD etc) and windows is at their mercy - network drives, and drive controllers with fans and seperate HDD's (like the DNS) are worse.

What makes things worse (for me anyway) is that the DNS must spin the drives up when you access it from idle (I have power saving after 5 mins on my dns as I can go days without accessing the files).  As the mapped drives are in the drive list, enumeration occurs when explorer is opened/accessed (depending on windows settings - see below).  Once my DNS has been accessed once and active, I can start explorer and navigate the folders quickly, but first attempt takes a few seconds and I can hear the DNS starting the drives.. but thats  few seconds for me and not the minute you have.

I had a poke around re: drive enumeration.
There are many things to try, but do things in stages.  So the mapping by IP is first, potentially a easy win.

Next have a read through these:
http://www.mcmaster.ca/ctl/slwebclient.htm
http://help.lockergnome.com/general/Slo … sc-20.html
http://www.ss64.com/nt/slow_browsing.html
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956592 - for vista only, but the problem DOES exist for xp smile

In summary they mention:
* Disabling the web client service - ive done this today and no ill-affects thus far.
* Disabling the index service - Ive always been dubious about this service but I would try this if all else has failed to date - there are benefits that are said to be derived from this service in xp....
* Removing desktop.ini from folders (windows feature: displaying folder contents in explorer?)
* and a few others - worth reading through that stuff!

good luck, hope this helped..

DHD

DNS-323 as stock, with ffp.  Version 1.08, WinXp SP2 on Dell PC and HP laptop. GigE on all links & switch. 802.11g wireless :\

#4 2009-03-06 17:30:49

scaleman

I mapped my drive directly with an IP and it was like night and day.

All problems solved.   Thank you.

Last edited by scaleman (2009-03-06 17:41:01)

Board footer