DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-04-02 05:12:40

mdh

iTunes Behavior

OK, I am sufficiently confused about how iTunes works with the 323, hoping for some explanation.

I bought a 323 today, all configured just fine, Raid-1, 300 gig drives, etc. I was replacing a LinkStation which performance simply sucks.

So, brought over my large (25K song, all-legit) MP3 music library without issue, then after the 323 indexed the library the SHARED volume appeared no problem on iTunes 7 (7.1.1.5)

Here's the snag. I cannot seem do do anything from this shared volume except play the music (which works just fine). I cannot move it to an iPod or to the LIBRARY.

I assume this is part of some DRM/protection scheme... but even after some extensive Google work I cannot seem to figure out how to put the library to work (short of "Add Folder to Library" which I believe is what the SHARED function is trying to avoid, correct?).

Can somebody explain this to me?

Thanks,
Marty

Last edited by mdh (2007-04-02 05:15:09)

#2 2007-04-06 16:53:56

frodo

Re: iTunes Behavior

This is per design from Apple.

So far the only workaround that I am aware of is to point iTunes to store the iTunes Music foler on the DNS.

This iTunes server is basicly only for listening not for copying the files :-(

#3 2007-04-06 21:25:17

mdh

Thanks for the response, I since concluded the same thing.

Of course, this is stupid and makes the "share" function of the 323 pretty worthless to most people I would assume (after all why would you ever run iTunes if you didn't have iPod(s)).

Perhaps Apple's new no-DRM approach will lead them to make this function as it should one of these days.

#4 2007-04-27 19:07:22

chip chanko

Early verions of itunes would let you do what you want but they had to change it when they opened the itunes store.

#5 2007-04-30 14:33:07

hansenwernersen

I have had the same problem, but I using a simple trick, which is working for me and my 5 different PC/notebook. I have moved all files to the dns-323. Then I have created on my master PC a new itunes library, which is in the volume as the files, added all files to the library on the dns.

When this is done, you have two possibilties. If you have a good network performance, you can assign your on the other computers installed local itunes directly to the library on the dns.

If you have a not so good network performance, opening the library directly on the networtk drive will take minutes. In this case, I just added to the different logon scripts, where I mount all network drives an other things, a command to copy the relevant files from the library from the dns-323 to the local drive during the logon process. The local itunes is then assigned to the copied library. Due to it is on a local drive itunes opens the library very fast. Also you do not need to open the itunes server, because depending on your network this will need also minutes.

Important is, that the itunes volume got the same drive name on all computers. But this you can assure with the logon script.

Advantages/ disadvantages and limitations
Posibility 1:ext l
Only the changes of the one who opens the library first will be saved
You will open allways the actual library, even when you normally send your computer only in standby

Posibility 2:
Every changes you make to the (copied) local library will get lost during the nogon copy process
There might appear some inconsistencies, when the local client deletes the file not only in the library, but also on the volume (here you can maybe manage something with read/write user rights). Or files which are added locally in the lib and on ht e volume are not part of the "master library)

Overall:
All local itunes clients can synch their ipod with the files on the dns volume
5 Computer limitations for bought file from the itunes store (untill now it is Ok for me, because I "only" have 5 Computers

By the way, as this have been my first post, I just would like to say thank very much to the community. There havge been a lot of helpful advices for me

#6 2007-04-30 21:00:07

Ethereal_Dragon

So, when your PC's start up, and the user logs on, the whole library is coppied from the NAS to the PC?? I actually haven't tried the iTunes server yet, since my media PC died just before I got the DNS-323.... I guess I will have to revive it and test out the server.

Gaming Rig: ASUS Z87-PRO (V EDITION), Intel Core i5-4590 Haswell, HyperX FURY 8GB DDR3 1866,
XFX Radeon HD 4870, SILVERSTONE DA700, Samsung 840 500Gig SSD MZ-7TD500BW, 3x WD20EARS 2 TB Green,
ASUS DRW-2014L1T (DVD), LG WH14NS40 (Blu Ray), Dell 2709W, Sony SDM-HS95P, Windows 10 Pro
The NAS Box: D-Link DNS-323, 0.1RC3 Alt-F firmware, 2x 7200.14 ST3000DM001 3TB EXT4 - NO RAID - 6 TB

Board footer