DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-04-01 03:51:55

woody240

I can see my NAS just not access it

Yes, I'm new to Linux and this is probably a easy question to this group smile

I installed ffp on my DNS-323 and I can access /ffp from my windows box but wanting to learn Linux I setup a new box running Ubuntu 8.10 it would not access my 323 and in reading on this forum their appears to be a problem with 8.10 so I dropped down to 7.10 and I can see and using the drop down menu/network connections.... etc I can mount /volume_1

Ok, here is the problem smile when I click on the icon for /volume_1 it asks me for un/pw but it does not recognize any un/pw?  Suggestions?

#2 2009-04-01 06:12:20

tpglemur

Re: I can see my NAS just not access it

how did you mount the drive? try

mount -t cifs -o username=user,password=password \\dns_ip_address\Volume_1 /path_to/mount_point

#3 2009-04-01 18:48:04

woody240

tpglemur wrote:

how did you mount the drive? try

mount -t cifs -o username=user,password=password \\dns_ip_address\Volume_1 /path_to/mount_point

I can use Ubuntu gui to mount but will not let me sign on with my un/pw.  I am assuming a problem with permissions.

In your post I notice you used a backslash, I did try it that way but am confused.
Using your suggestion I receive an error of not root so using the suod command I get:

ron@OldTower-Linux:/mnt$ sudo mount -t cifs username=ron,password=xxxxxx //192.168.0.132/volume_1 /mnt/nas
[sudo] password for ron:
Usage: mount -V                 : print version
       mount -h                 : print this help
       mount                    : list mounted filesystems
       mount -l                 : idem, including volume labels
So far the informational part. Next the mounting.
The command is `mount [-t fstype] something somewhere'.
Details found in /etc/fstab may be omitted.
       mount -a [-t|-O] ...     : mount all stuff from /etc/fstab
       mount device             : mount device at the known place
       mount directory          : mount known device here
       mount -t type dev dir    : ordinary mount command
Note that one does not really mount a device, one mounts
a filesystem (of the given type) found on the device.
One can also mount an already visible directory tree elsewhere:
       mount --bind olddir newdir
or move a subtree:
       mount --move olddir newdir
One can change the type of mount containing the directory dir:
       mount --make-shared dir
       mount --make-slave dir
       mount --make-private dir
       mount --make-unbindable dir
One can change the type of all the mounts in a mount subtree
containing the directory dir:
       mount --make-rshared dir
       mount --make-rslave dir
       mount --make-rprivate dir
       mount --make-runbindable dir
A device can be given by name, say /dev/hda1 or /dev/cdrom,
or by label, using  -L label  or by uuid, using  -U uuid .
Other options: [-nfFrsvw] [-o options] [-p passwdfd].
For many more details, say  man 8 mount .
ron@OldTower-Linux:/mnt$

Last edited by woody240 (2009-04-01 19:29:21)

#4 2009-04-02 01:50:35

woody240

FYI -
Problem solved, this is what I did.

sudo mount -t cifs //<NAS IP>/<Volume_1> /mnt/nas/ -o user=Ron

Password is requested and mount was successful.

#5 2009-04-02 11:27:21

tpglemur

Sorry about the slash orientation, what you've written is the 'should be' way, but backslashes works on my CentOS server.

Last edited by tpglemur (2009-04-02 11:27:47)

#6 2009-04-09 07:35:12

3legs

Mounting the drive via smbmount, or mount -t cifs doesn't actually solve the real problem, the actual issue may/seems to be related to the fact that Ubuntu 8.10 now requires a higher level of authentication for it's Samba Shares.  You can lower your this restriction by editing /etc/samba/smb.conf on your Ubuntu PC (Not the NAS) and adding this line under the [general] section

client lanman auth = yes

This information was gained from here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= … ostcount=5
and actually came from this bug report: https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s … tion/58004

There is another "idea" posted in the bug report, that you should backup the settings of the NAS, edit the settings file, and replace it. I tried this also, but it actually caused my NAS to freeze! Web access and ssh halted (even after reboot), but pinging and data access (via samba) worked... great, if I didn't need to configure anything ever again wink

Hope this helps.

#7 2009-04-09 15:16:59

fordem

3legs wrote:

There is another "idea" posted in the bug report, that you should backup the settings of the NAS, edit the settings file, and replace it. I tried this also, but it actually caused my NAS to freeze! Web access and ssh halted (even after reboot), but pinging and data access (via samba) worked... great, if I didn't need to configure anything ever again wink

Hope this helps.

This is caused by restoring a "corrupt" config file - which occurs when you edit the file using a "Windows style" text editor, which adds carriage returns - according to D-Link you can force a reset using the reset button for some 30 seconds or more.

#8 2009-04-09 21:50:19

3legs

fordem wrote:

This is caused by restoring a "corrupt" config file - which occurs when you edit the file using a "Windows style" text editor, which adds carriage returns - according to D-Link you can force a reset using the reset button for some 30 seconds or more.

Thanks - I thought I had edited it with gvim but maybe I didn't. Later I will try and confirm.  What would be the most appropriate fix out of the two?
Editing the Ubuntu smb.conf, or
Editing the DNS-323 Config (unix formatting preserved...) or both?
Also, it would have been nice for the DNS-323 to parse both styles of formatting.  Shame their source code isn't fully open source where fixes can be passed back up stream.

#9 2009-04-10 17:10:40

osprey23

3legs wrote:

Mounting the drive via smbmount, or mount -t cifs doesn't actually solve the real problem, the actual issue may/seems to be related to the fact that Ubuntu 8.10 now requires a higher level of authentication for it's Samba Shares.  You can lower your this restriction by editing /etc/samba/smb.conf on your Ubuntu PC (Not the NAS) and adding this line under the [general] section

client lanman auth = yes

This works for me. Thanks mate!

Board footer